Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Severe constipation

I am embarrassed to write this, but I need help. I had sleeve surgery on 3/7/18. I have been taking stool softener since arriving home, and have had 1 good bowel movement. Today I am extremely constipated. I have stool there, but it will not come out. The straining has caused bleeding, and now I am unable to urinate. I am afraid I am dehydrated and tried to drink Water, but it is just sitting in my bladder causing me to be more uncomfortable. I have been up all night as I cannot sleep. Any suggestions? I am desperate!

I am embarrassed to write this, but I need help. I had sleeve surgery on 3/7/18. I have been taking stool softener since arriving home, and have had 1 good bowel movement. Today I am extremely constipated. I have stool there, but it will not come out. The straining has caused bleeding, and now I am unable to urinate. I am afraid I am dehydrated and tried to drink Water, but it is just sitting in my bladder causing me to be more uncomfortable. I have been up all night as I cannot sleep. Any suggestions? I am desperate!

I would try a fleets enema or glycerin suppository to soften the stool. Once it gets that close to coming out and is hard and unable to move nothing you take orally will help.

If you are having issues now urinating and have caused bleeding from straining too hard, I would suggest going to Urgent Care. I am saying that because although you are constipated, that usually does not disrupt your urine flow. Dehydration is a possibility but at this point, you have hard stool sitting in your intestines and it can cause an infection especially if you have torn something in your rectum. As well as having urine sitting in your bladder can cause an infection. You may need some liquids to force you to urinate and a rectal stool softener to help your Constipation.

3 hours ago, Luvabull2 said:

At this point, please call your doctor! This sounds like it could be important.

Edited by Mattymatt

Put in a suppository and take a very warm shower - it will help you relax to pee, then an enema if that doesn't get it moving. Preparation H for the hemorrhoids that are likely the bleeding issue.

Going forward colace, Miralax daily and suppositories until you get more regular. Sorry you are miserable most of us have been there.

Go to urgent care or your doctor if you can get in right away. You may be impacted. Once it gets to this stage, no suppository will help. I am speaking from personal experience here. Not urinating is not a good sign either.

Lovabull-- how are you doing? Have you gotten relief from your little problem? I know when you feel that so keenly, it does not seem small. Remember -This too shall pass and joy cometh in the morning. Maybe tomorrow morning will be better for you![emoji13][emoji172][emoji13][emoji173]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, frust8 said:

Lovabull how are you doing? Have you gotten relief from your little problem? I know when you feel that so keenly, it does not seem small. Remember This too shall pass and joy cometh in the morning. Maybe tomorrow morning will be better for you!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Feeling much better frust8. Spoke to my doctor this morning and made some changes to my diet which will hopefully keep this from happening again. Everybody’s advice helped. Having this community who has been through what you are going through and truly understands is a wonderful thing! Thank you!