Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with whey....

Since I've had to push back my surgery I've decided to use the time "wisely" and make some changes that I know I'll need to do anyways, starting with Protein Shakes. I just can not get pass the taste of whey Protein.

What would y'all recommend as an alternative?

I hated it! Could tolerate it in the bariatric Pal Soups but nothing else. But - oh my, the pea Protein was way worse!!

So, I decided to experiment until I hit upon a success. And finally I found it.

Recipe (my daily Breakfast - possibly forever)

1 shot of coffee - I use Nespresso machine pod, but any - even teaspoon of 8nstant in hot Water. Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning add 50ml milk, 6 ice cubes and 30g vanilla Protein Powder (I prefer one that isn’t too sweet). Blend in NutriBullet or similar.

Makes 8oz of iced coffee slushy - with no whey taste!

Edited by biddynz

New Whey liquid protien it’s available in the BariatricPal Store. It’s fruit bunch flavor It’s whey mixed with collagen and some other type of Protien and doesn’t take like whey either! I can’t keep straight whey shakes down even before surgery. I wld start gagging the minute it touched my mouth. Even the smell before wld have me wanting to throw up. Before i found new whey liquid protien the best I found was Roadside Lemonade syntax protien powder also in the BariatricPal store. Syntax still had the nasty smell but I didn’t taste the whey. But this new whey liquid protien has neither. It’s so good when I make Protien popsicles with it I have to hide from my kids or they eat them all. Also premier protien clear mango orange is good however it does leave you with cotton mouth idk why but it’s a strange sensation So I have to alternate b/w sips of that and sips of Water.

I just purchased the GENEPRO Medical Grade Unflavored 30g Protein Powder - 2nd Generation! - 30 Servings from the Bariatric Store. They say you can mix it in anything. I am hoping that is the case because I can stand the taste of Whey neither.

Have you tried Premier Protein? Most people tend to be able to drink them without a problem and they come in multiple flavors.

2 hours ago, Sleeve1stFitNext said:

I just purchased the GENEPRO Medical Grade Unflavored 30g Protein Powder - 2nd Generation! - 30 Servings from the Bariatric Store. They say you can mix it in anything. I am hoping that is the case because I can stand the taste of whey neither.

Have you tried Premier Protein? Most people tend to be able to drink them without a problem and they come in multiple flavors.

I made these tasty Jello cups that are supposed to be 12 grams of Protein per 2oz. They were great during my liquid week post op.

10 hours ago, Just4nise said:

Since I've had to push back my surgery I've decided to use the time "wisely" and make some changes that I know I'll need to do anyways, starting with Protein Shakes. I just can not get pass the taste of whey Protein.

Thank Goodness Protein Shakes are not a lifelong thing. Yes most taste crappy. It's trial and error to find what works.

I figured taste is tolerable - I'll drink it just to get my protien in. First days out from surgery. I did Isopure zero carb Protein Water 160 calories 40 grams of protein and part of your water goal. If the taste is too strong water it down.

I liked the apple mellon.

c048883f89738842cb1c73f42b61fc9e---goals-trans-fat.jpg

11 hours ago, Just4nise said:

You are right, the taste could be better, but for me it is the smell, especially now that I a post-op, I have been using the Premier Protein pre-made shakes in all flavors but vanilla (which is normally my favorite). I hope you can find something that works.

Isopure zero carb drinks are a life saver, thin as Water and tons of Protein. I'm 2 days post op, and had such a hard time with the shake they gave me yesterday, took like 15 hours to get most of a bottle down, but water wasn't nearly as bad. Now I'm home and the Isopure is exactly what I needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just my experience but I took whey Protein from something I never enjoyed (at best tolerated it, at worst thought it was gross as hell) and turned it into something I LOVE eating.

The two ways I eat my whey (yes I eat it don't drink it)

Is the protein mugcake recipe (which is basically whey, baking powder, skim milk and I add a little coconut flour) and you microwave it. Or protein fluff is basically protein powder (usually a mix of whey and casien) xanthum gum and skim milk and you use electric beaters to turn it into a whipped cream/Ice cream

You could Google booth and tinker with the recipes, but it's absolutely delicious. I don't consume whey because I need to (you don't) I consume it because it's a healthy delicious snack that I love eating and look forward to.

So if you're not enjoying the taste, get creative with the recipes. There's so many protein recipes that taste great, and I know I'm extremely happy with the two that I use

Edited by Mhy12784

Thank you guys, I'll definitely look into those.