Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

16 yrs Banded, Now May have to revise to sleeve! HELP!

4 hours ago, biddynz said:

I am SO glad to hear you are out the other side, @maygoddess- very exciting.

We have fairly similar stats weight wise - and I reckon you might be amazed at how effective and easy the surgical option is. Now I know I had RNY not sleeve, but my doctor said “don’t believe the nonsense about not losing as much as first time around. The RNY and sleeve are such better surgeries, you will lose more than with the band”. 3.5 months in, and I am currently just 4lbs above my lowest band weight - and I lost 3 lbs last week, so I KNOW I am going below band weight! And for me it has been pretty much effortless - I just want different stuff, don’t get hungry, get bored by eating before I finish my plate!

@VI_VSG2018you had your band about the same time as me - did your port leak or your band? The middle of the back of the port came away in mine, and I am part of some world wide medical malpractice class action suit against the company that made them apparently (not that I expect ever to hear about it again). I wonder if it was the same failure? Every one of those ports put in in New Zealand has failed now.

Honestly, my post-band (and nearly post-band) friends, for me the gastric surgery has just been SO much easier than the band. No regurgitation, no reflux. My food tastes have shifted, I am loving salads and exploring ways to get yummy Protein.

Biddynz, my leak is a mystery since it can't be detected under fluoroscopy nor with an upper GI. The only thing that I know for sure is that no matter how many times I get a fill, the saline Fluid is gone the next day. I'll be sleeved in a few days and it's sad to say, but I'll probably miss my band. I'd grown so accustomed to its temperamental ways that I would be okay living with it for the rest of my life as long as I could have continued success with it.

Good luck to you on Friday. Please keep us posted

Hi all! Been home a few days and in the clear liquid phase. Have some slight pain but trying to avoid taking pain pills as I am trying to work..luckily I work from home, so my bed is now my office for now! Been a little harder to return home and next day have my boyfriend leave for good. That was planned for over a month, so was not sprung on me..he stayed to take care of the animals while I was gone, but decided not to stay any further..so recovering alone and trying to keep up with my cats and dogs and work...sigh..

I of course stepped on the scale and am up 5lbs from where I started before Ieft home. I think I was up 6lbs, but may have dropped 1lb. Hoping it is just inflammation and perhaps some Water weight. I know we are not supposed to look at this time as weight loss, but I recall immediately losing weight once banded..even during initial recovery. Also just nervous given the weight I gained after I was unfilled that this sleeve is not going to work as well as when I first banded.I am hoping at least it will help keep the weight I haven't gained off. But getting this extra 50 off would be fantastic!

After nine years with my band it has to come out. I dont have a surgery date but I am getting the sleeve done. My surgeon doesn't even like doing the lapband anymore because at ten years there is an 80 percent failure rate. My band failed me. But I am really glad to be getting it out. I have been one sick cookie with this thing over the last year. Insurance wouldn't pay to get it out before now.

4 minutes ago, iluvbears42@yahoo.com said:

After nine years with my band it has to come out. I dont have a surgery date but I am getting the sleeve done. My surgeon doesn't even like doing the lapband anymore because at ten years there is an 80 percent failure rate. My band failed me. But I am really glad to be getting it out. I have been one sick cookie with this thing over the last year. Insurance wouldn't pay to get it out before now.

Hi! So sorry to hear of your troubles. I had a good run of 16 years..well at 14 years I made that fateful decision to just a checkup and found the esophagus expanded...if I never did that checkup, I would probably still have the band. But of course the esophagus was a problem..otherwise, I was maintaining my weight at 150 for years..didn't have any pain or issues..the real problems didn't start until I got that fill at the local surgeon down here who I believe infected me..that started the trouble with the port and tubing and then this last infection..but my doctor said it was probably time anyway..I got banded a few years after it was approved here in the states..so not many people banded much longer than me..at least that I have found..

Does your insurance company require you to do two separate surgeries and jump through all the hoops in between? That was my problem here..I could have had it all done for free but no way was I going to do two surgeries, wait at least three months in between and have to do all the psych evals and other dietary BS that the newbies have to do and should do..but being banded 16 years should mean I am way past that!! Insurance sucks here!! But I also wanted my more experienced doctor in Mexico to take care of this and took a chance that all was fine and I could get it all done at once. So happy it turned out that way!! Best of luck in your journey for revision..hope it all goes smooth..would love to stay in touch with other band to sleevers here..we are definitely different than the first time patients...hard to relate!!!

Thank you for sharing your story. If your advice worked, none of us would be having weight loss surgery! Sorry..a bit simplistic.."just watch your eating habits" LOL!! food is one addiction that we cannot live without..and it is hard to just "eat right". The band was not meant to stop you from eating chips and shakes..it also doesn't make you want to eat kale and fish either. It limits food good or bad. I got the surgery mostly to keep it off rather than just to lose weight. I was sick of the 5% chance of keeping weight off you lose..those are bad odds. Unfortunately, when I was unfilled when they found the esophagus issue, I gained 30lbs in a month..I ate barely anything..I watched EVERY bit and sip I took..counted calories..was eating like 500 calories a day and worked out and gained 5lbs a day..it was a nonstop freight train. I am afraid when the band goes, I will gain more. I originally lost 130lbs with the band..gained 50 so far after the unfill..but have now stabilized. I have a fill but no port or tube..so the band is still doing what it supposed to do..keeping weight off..BUT still not helping with losing these 50lbs no matter what I do to "eat right". I do hope that works for you..sounds like you have resolved to just try and wing it like the rest of the mere mortals. I cannot risk gaining that weight with no way to lose it and most importantly keep it off long term.
I went back to the surgical office locally today to ask the surgeon more questions. Looks like insurance requires ANYONE getting a new surgery..even if a revision..to jump through all the hoops...psych evals, dieting, etc etc..all the BS that is important for a brand NEW patient, but rediculous for someone banded for 16 years. So I am looking at possibly just paying out of pocket and going back to my surgeon in Mexico. He has more experience, he can do the removal/revision at same time..no hoops to jump through..a lot to consider..but just winging it again and just "watching my eating habits" never worked and won't at my age to stop the gain that will most likely happen nor get off what I gained.

Good luck with your journey!

Glad you are here again May
After 11 years banded, I did have most Fluid removed... just as you said, with mindfulness and work outs... eating well....25 lbs came marching on....!!
7 mos later got a couple of small fills and much poundage did drop again... I now know I CANNOT maintain without help....
Still working on the same habits today
Just closer to where I want to be ...10 stubborn pounds to work on.

Following you.....the future is never guaranteed I guess.. sigh

( I thought I “got it”... sadly no without assistance)
Please keep posting. It truly helps us veterans. And I want you to fit into your gear to ride!!

I discovered in January I have a leak. Maybe for years. Last two years I’ve really shifted nutrition and exercise. A little discipline and accountability go a long way. Leak gets repaired Monday and it will be fun tweaking things to get another 95 lbs off.

Thanks for everyone dropping by. I am now 10 days post op with the sleeve. I FINALLY today saw a drop BELOW my pre-op weight. I think the Weightless tea has helped with the Water gain after surgery..I was up by 5lbs post surgery..this morning, I saw 4lb drop which took me 3lbs below pre-op weight. So compared to the newbies, it is slow so far..but I am just happy to see a drop from where I was stuck last few years.

Feeling better every day. I am happy I can now drink before going to bed with no worry about choking on fluids while I sleep. I don't have stuck food that I have to bring back up. I am still on full liquids for another 10 days. Seems like Dr Kuri's post op is a bit stricter than some I have seen here with local surgeons..some folks are already on mushy food after week 1. Rather take it slow and safe. Have not been very hungry..only really hungry if I have not eaten all day..will have to see what happens as I heal up and eat more..

I didn't really have a lot of time to research the sleeve since my band removal was unexpected. I just knew I didn't want the band removed with no option to replace it. Kinda scary to think I cut my stomach to a smaller size..but glad I didn't opt for bypass. That seems scarier to me.

Anyway..will keep posting my journey!

Patty

Great post Patty, and great result.

deciding to get the surgery before your weight creeps up again is very clever. And like you, I love having no “I have to regurgitate” feeling - the productive burps of band-land.

fingers crossed for smooth reduction to your goal...

On 4/1/2018 at 1:35 PM, biddynz said:

I am SO glad to hear you are out the other side, @maygoddess- very exciting.

We have fairly similar stats weight wise - and I reckon you might be amazed at how effective and easy the surgical option is. Now I know I had RNY not sleeve, but my doctor said “don’t believe the nonsense about not losing as much as first time around. The RNY and sleeve are such better surgeries, you will lose more than with the band”. 3.5 months in, and I am currently just 4lbs above my lowest band weight - and I lost 3 lbs last week, so I KNOW I am going below band weight! And for me it has been pretty much effortless - I just want different stuff, don’t get hungry, get bored by eating before I finish my plate!

@VI_VSG2018you had your band about the same time as me - did your port leak or your band? The middle of the back of the port came away in mine, and I am part of some world wide medical malpractice class action suit against the company that made them apparently (not that I expect ever to hear about it again). I wonder if it was the same failure? Every one of those ports put in in New Zealand has failed now.

Honestly, my post-band (and nearly post-band) friends, for me the gastric surgery has just been SO much easier than the band. No regurgitation, no reflux. My food tastes have shifted, I am loving salads and exploring ways to get yummy Protein.

I'm so excited for you!!! Congrats on such amazing success!!

@maygoddess Congrats on your revision surgery. Hope you can begin healing and feel better immediately. Please, please, please take your Vitamins every day and GET YOUR POST OP CARE! Your Mex. doc sounds like a real keeper! Keep up with it! ((hugs))

6 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm so excited for you!!! Congrats on such amazing success!!

@maygoddess Congrats on your revision surgery. Hope you can begin healing and feel better immediately. Please, please, please take your Vitamins every day and GET YOUR POST OP CARE! Your Mex. doc sounds like a real keeper! Keep up with it! ((hugs))

Thank you FluffyChix! Yes..10 days post op and now finally seeing a drop in weight..I know we should not really be looking at loss this early..but heck..of course we will! Doh! That's why we got surgery..just so reassuring for a previous bandster to know this will work to get the weight off I gained back. I have to say the band WAS successful for me..it got off 130lbs..kept it off as it should until 2014 (12 years in with it) when the issues came back..so happy that I at least didn't gain ALL the weight back..50 sucks..but 130 would have sucked even more! So scale was down 5lbs below my pre-surgery weight and 11lbs below my post surgery. I gained about 6 lbs after surgery..water weight I am sure..so it was nice to see that extra gone and now BELOW my pre-op weight. I will be happy with a steady 1-2 lbs per week over nothing..hoping to get as much off as quickly as possible...betting that last bit will be the hardest! So excited to finally pull my old skinny clothes I loved out of the bins in garage and wear them again. It's almost as it if is new again..will be so happy to get rid of these flat clothes I hate!!

++++++ thoughts for everyone all around!!

You should update your stats! Put your new dates, and weights in! Get a ticker!

5 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You should update your stats! Put your new dates, and weights in! Get a ticker!

Thanks..updated..too bad they don't let you put in your whole journey..my original band info and then my sleeve info as well..look like a newbie now...oh well!!

5 minutes ago, maygoddess said:

Thanks..updated..too bad they don't let you put in your whole journey..my original band info and then my sleeve info as well..look like a newbie now...oh well!!

Take a look at my signature. It has a ton of stuff in it. You could use that space to log all your losses leading up to now! :D It's in the Account Settings >> Signature area in the drop down menu by your name in the upper right corner.

Nice to see your new info girl!!! You'll be back to 150 in no time! Congrats!

I am a lapband patient getting the sleeve sometime in the next few weeks. I don't have a date yet but doing my preops so I can get this miserable thing out of my stomach. I will be happy not to throw up every day of my life with an empty band and still have tight restriction. I am nervous but hopeful I wont have any issues.

Hi all! Just wanted to keep this updated with my progress. I am on Day 20 post op. Tomorrow I will finally start on mushy foods. I don't really have any pain anymore. I am not as tired. I was having some low blood sugar issues..or could have been anemic, so I upped my sugar intake a little and added fresh spinach to my smoothies..that seemed to have helped.

I know I am not supposed to worry about the scale at this time, but of course we will always look!! I have lost 10lbs as of today from my pre-surgery weight. I was always bouncing up 4-5 lbs above that..so feels like I am really down 15! I believe my "window of opportunity" will be shorter than when I was newly banded. I have less to lose this time around and 16 years of my body adjusting to being banded. So I am going to behave as much as possible to get as much of the 40lbs I want off to come off without too much struggle. I am sure I will have some stalls and need to cajole off the last lbs..so we shall see. I am grateful to see some weight off at all. Was really nervous the sleeve would maybe just help keep off what I have, but not help me lose.

I do notice a full feeling with slight thicker stuff..but really won't know my limits until I start eating food that will stay in my stomach longer.

Will update again soon!