Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with an IUD have issues?

I have had my IUD for 3 years now, causing my period to stop completely.

I am one week post op. I have lost about 11lbs, and today I got a full blown period. Complete with cramps on top of my healing pains.

I feel like it could be from hormonal changes, or extreme weight loss. Anyone else with an IUD have this issue?

Hello, same issue here. I had surgery on 2/6/18 and maybe like 1 week post op started spotting and with a terrible yeast infection where they had to give twice treatment because it was not going away. Now I had my period for over a week, is light and not a lot of cramping. I definitely think it have to be relate to the surgery, I have the IUD for almost 4 years now and don't get my period. I have an appointment with my gynecologist hopefully there is a solution to this. Hope your's get better soon. :)

I had a very similar issue. I had no period for two years with an implant (in my arm), and one week into my pre-op diet, I got my period with cramps. Now, 9 days post-op, I have what I assume is a yeast infection (I'm guessing from the antibiotics).

Feel better!

It’s from weight loss. Fatty cells hold onto estrogen too much estrogen = not enough progesterone & not enough progesterone = no period. With out without a hormonal birth control. So when you begin to lose weight shrinking those fatty cells you are depleting the estrogen, thus causing a balance between progesterone and estrogen resulting in a bleed.

That is why many women who become obese and estrogen dominant, myself included, have WLS as a step to restore their fertility. Sooo, congrats!! You’re fertile again!! I can’t wait to be too [emoji322]

Same thing happened to me. Hadn't had a period since August when I got Mirena. Then 10 days after surgery, I get a full blown period. Followed by a UTI. The nurse at my surgeon's office said it's just because of hormonal changes.

Same problem here. I’ve had the implant for a long time and did not have a period when I was heavier. I had surgery and still have the implant and about four months after surgery and about 50 pounds later I got a period for like three weeks. Now It’s like a year and half post surgery and I get one every month same time every month and I’m still on the implant. I liked not having a period and when I was heavier I had to use progesterone only birth control which the implant and mirena are. I sometimes think about changing to mirena but I honestly don’t think that will matter and I will probably still get a period as it’s similar hormone to the implant. My doctor did say to maybe either change to an estrogen birth control or add one on top of the implant but I feel like that’s so many hormones and it worries me. So I feel kinda stuck

When I had the Mirena, I spotted constantly for three years (vs. no period at all with the implant). My doctor said it was a different hormone or at least a different form of the hormone. So it seems you can respond differently to them.

Even if my period returns full time with weight loss, I'm staying away from the Mirena. It works really well for some people, but the spotting and cramps were not pleasant for me.

I can't do progesterone bc because it makes me bleed non stop so I'm on nuva ring no period ever while on it but I give myself a break every 3 months to clean out

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is my second IUD and I have had the same issues... I had my period for 2 straight weeks.. Then had a week rest and Bam! Another one! Sucks!!

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the same issue. I had to have it remove....I went back to Depo Provera...no monthly at all .

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ahh you ladies make me nervous! Im 1 month post op and just made my appointment to get the iud. This thread is making me second guess my decision!

Sleeved
HW 257
SW 240 (2/20/18)
CW 216
GW #1 199

It works differently for everyone. I have a friend who had irregular bleeding for 2 months and then all of sudden BOOM no more problems. Try it and if it's not what you want, have it removed. I wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

12 hours ago, CynthiaNicolle said:

Ahh you ladies make me nervous! Im 1 month post op and just made my appointment to get the iud. This thread is making me second guess my decision!

Sleeved
HW 257
SW 240 (2/20/18)
CW 216
GW #1 199

I got my IUD the week before my surgery. I had some very light spotting for two weeks after, and then nothing since. Everyone is different, but I love mine so far.