Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 minutes ago, johnsons13 said:

It's funny how different surgeons are. We didn't have waterproof dressings, but I could take a shower and change my dressing. I can't start my Vitamins until after my 1st pre op visit which is Tuesday. I won't be able to eat any food for a month, then it will be pureed food. And my Dr said vomiting wasn't normal. Thankfully I only got a little nauseous and got better after nausea meds.

Sent from my Z983 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for responding. Yes, I guess the surgery is pretty much standard, but the post-procedures vary.

The recovery doctor that woke me up had obviously seen an awful lot of procedures, and said that I was probably nauseous because of the blend of anaesthetic used. Some anti-nausea meds had me feeling normal fairly soon afterwards- worrying at first, though.

I get no solid food for about six weeks - pureed from day 2 (I had a choice of yoghurt or porridge, and pureed Soup for dinners on day 2 after surgery), then very soft, sloppy food after 4 weeks. Had soluble Vitamins from day 1. If my doctor had told me a different regime, I would have stuck to it, though ! I guess it's important to go with whatever guidelines your surgeon sets.

Edited by Fragmin

I’m April 17th - on pre op liquid for the past several days

32 minutes ago, KKW said:

I’m April 17th - on pre op liquid for the past several days

Good luck, I hope it goes as well for you as it has for me so far. The diet is difficult to stick to, but it's for the best.

Thanks for responding. Yes, I guess the surgery is pretty much standard, but the post-procedures vary.
The recovery doctor that woke me up had obviously seen an awful lot of procedures, and said that I was probably nauseous because of the blend of anaesthetic used. Some anti-nausea meds had me feeling normal fairly soon afterwards- worrying at first, though.
I get no solid food for about six weeks - pureed from day 2 (I had a choice of yoghurt or porridge, and pureed Soup for dinners on day 2 after surgery), then very soft, sloppy food after 4 weeks. Had soluble Vitamins from day 1. If my doctor had told me a different regime, I would have stuck to it, though ! I guess it's important to go with whatever guidelines your surgeon sets.

I'm definitely looking forward to pureed foods. I don't think I'll ever touch another Popsicle.

Sent from my Z983 using BariatricPal mobile app

Sleeved today April 12th! Also had hiatal hernia repair with mesh! Just a little sore from gas and achy pain in abdomen. Pain pump handles that. Walked 2 laps around ward with my pole. Can’t belies I was so anxious that I took Xanax and only slept 3 hours last night!

Just an update, I had my surgery April 2nd. Stick to the pre op diet and lost 15 lbs before surgery. I’m 10 days post op and have lost another 11 lbs. I have to say that I was very uncomfortable immediately after surgery, the pain from the gas is sort of weird and it’s just hard to get comfortable and pain medicine really didn’t help. Once I was up and walking around and sipping fluids I felt sooooo much better—so to all you getting sleeves in the future, the first couple hours after surgery suck but push through you will find relief! Especially from walking. It has definitely been an adjustment drinking I was a “gulper” before now I constantly sip. I feel full from very little amount of food like 2 tablespoon of yogurt and I have to eat really slow. Just today I am starting to have my apetite back, I’m still on full liquids until I see my surgeon next Thursday and I’m hoping he advances me to puréed. Good luck everyone!

April 12th was my day! Gastric sleeve, large hiatal hernia repair and ventral hernia repair in the early morning. Hooked up to a morphine pump (and many other monitoring wires) and other than minor aches and pains I was good. Walked 2 laps around ward by 6 pm. My doctor allowed NO Water or chips! Nothing until after leak test-barium upper.

The first night I was very achy and sore and had gas pain in my clavicle region and in my back and it was hard to find a comfortable position

The next morning I did 4 laps around the ward. Gas pains just about gone but still sore and tender. They put a belly binder on me after surgery which helps especially if you cough. I can get up and down on my own and can walk around. I’ve gotten 2 shots of heparin. I’m waiting for my leak test. If I pass I can start sipping and they’ll unhook me from the pump and oxygen etc and I’ll be more mobile

I am so thirsty and believe it or not am a little hungry ! Haven’t been weighed I am bloated probably from the swelling and gas I had more hernia repair than expected All and all not too bad

Hi there! I was sleeved 4/4, and I have had such an easy time so far. I was up walking around a couple hours after I woke up, and I think it really helped. I didn't have any noteable gas pains, and I feel like I'm almost back to 100% already.

I was sleeved 4/12 and I’m hungry but I’m sticking to my fluids and Protein Shakes. Did anyone get hungry after surgery? I thought after sleeve part of the stomach that produces the hormone can’t rember what it’s called gets cut away so you don’t feel hunger:

I just got sleeved on April 12th and I’m hungry as well! I thought that if they removed the part of your stomach where the ghrelin resides that we wouldn’t be hungry. What happened?

Hey guys! I had mine on Monday, April 9th. I was fine for the first several days but since yesterday I’m flipping starving!!!! I WILL stick to it though! Heck at this point I only have one more day of Stage 1. Even though Stage 2 is still liquids we can incorporate more treats like sugar free fudgecicles & sugarfree/fatfree pudding cups! Plus I’ll be able to start drinking the Protein shakes/smoothies again. Thank God! I tried drinking them with nothing in them but room temperature Water and I almost gagged. 🤢

Do you guys have any tricks to get through the first 2 weeks post-op?

I had surgery on 4/5/18 and am down 9 pounds. When I started this journey I was 238, my surgery weight was 207 and now I am 198. I am finding that I NEVER get the full feeling and its probably all in my head but I seem to always be hungry (even while eating). I am on pureed foods now and was told I can have mashed potatoes but I can not tolerate them. Last night I had 2 ounces of tuna and for once since surgery I felt satisfied. Good luck with your upcoming surgeries!

Congratulations @balesmother4 you broke another barrier and now,you are in onederland. I hope 1 day to join you there. Curious to see how much weight. a liquid diet will take off of me. My,weight,is. so much I'll have to pass through Twoferville before I can make it to Onderland.😝