Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Oregon Sleevers here?

Welp, it happened. Insurance denied my surgery. Twice. We are on the third appeal now... I have literally done EVERYTHING they required. Jumped through every single hoop for the past 9 months. I meet every qualification. And they are still FIGHTING approval. I’m pissed. My doctor is pissed. I’m about to pull my hair out!

Deep. Deep. Deeeeeep. Breath.

Wish me luck on the third appeal, guys. I have a feeling I’m going to need it! 😭

Edited by Sparkle&Storm

I had my VSG done on April 2nd at Legacy Good Samaritan in Portland. Dr. Emma Patterson from Oregon Weight Loss Surgery (OWLS) was my surgeon, with her partner Dr. Avishai Meyer assisting. Surgery was a breeze, taking about 2hrs, and then I stayed one night.

I've been doing great so far post-op, and was able to manage any pain with liquid Tylenol and ibuprofen, which you can get at Target or Walmart. Thankfully I haven't really had any trouble with nausea, and am currently 13lbs down from surgery day weight.

Getting enough Protein in is the hardest part, but GENEPRO unflavored Protein Powder has been my lifesaver on that one. There's 30g of protein per scoop, and 2 scoops easily mix into a 32oz Gatorade (I always get the lowest sugar option available), and adding a scoop to low-fat Greek yogurt is a great, protein filled way to start one's day. :)

I am also in Portland and had my surgery (VSG) this week with Dr. Husain at OHSU. It went great! I'm managing the pain well with medication and slowly sipping some Soup.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:34 PM, Sparkle&Storm said:

Welp, it happened. Insurance denied my surgery. Twice. We are on the third appeal now... I have literally done EVERYTHING they required. Jumped through every single hoop for the past 9 months. I meet every qualification. And they are still FIGHTING approval. I’m pissed. My doctor is pissed. I’m about to pull my hair out!

Deep. Deep. Deeeeeep. Breath.

Wish me luck on the third appeal, guys. I have a feeling I’m going to need it! 😭

Ugh, how terrible! Hopefully the third appeal will do the trick. Insurance companies love to deny approval for things that are very expensive.

I finally got my surgery date!

Having surgery at OHSU with Dr Husain on May 9.

Excites and a little bit nervous. :)

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Sleeved36 said:

Foxbins: What surgery did you have? And give me your top 3 pieces of advice post-op, or more if you have them :) Any particular foods or restaurants that helped? Always looking for local.

I meet with the surgeon 4/6 and should get a surgery date right after that (I already know my insurance covers right away, so lucky that way).

I had a sleeve done and what my surgeon said was a large hernia repair. About a year post-op, I got pancreatitis from an errant gall stone and had to have my gallbladder removed. It seems to be quite a common occurrence in people who lose a lot of weight quickly.

Top 3 pieces of advice?? 1. Track your food, your calories. Empty calories go down easy but don't fill you up. Protein first, even now. 2. Measure your portions. I lost my hunger after surgery and it hasn't really come back, but I can still mindlessly eat if I'm bored or anxious. I still measure my food because I know I can be satisfied with less than my eye tells me if I just pile stuff on the plate. 3. Do weight-bearing exercise while you are losing and keep doing it. I lost a tremendous amount of muscle mass and it has taken quite a long time to rebuild the strength I had before surgery. It takes muscle to haul around that excess weight and it's easier to keep it than gain it later.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you are as happy as I am with the end result/

3 hours ago, Sleeved36 said:

I finally got my surgery date!

Having surgery at OHSU with Dr Husain on May 9.

Excites and a little bit nervous. :)

Congratulations!! I was so nervous about surgery by the day it arrived, but it went so smoothly with Dr. Husain and her team. I got to meet all of the residents and fellows assisting with the surgery and the anesthesiologist made me feel very comfortable. He also gave me some anti-anxiety medications right before wheeling me over to the OR. I don't remember counting down or anything. I remember looking around the OR and then waking up in recovery. I was in pain, but the nurse made sure to get me more pain medication right away. Dr. Husain checked on me again before discharge the following day and one of the residents called to see how I was doing after my first full night at home. Overall, a really good experience for my first ever surgery.

Foxbins, thank you for your advice. Yeah, mindless eating and head hunger is totally what got me here. Too bad they can't take that away with my stomach removal :D.

Sorry to hear that you had pancreatitis, it is terribly painful. I did the whole gallstones/pancreatitis/gall bladder removal 5 years ago. Not fun.

I am in Portland. I am having surgery done at OHSU.