Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping finished...now experimenting with cake and biscuits....

I feel like my NUT is the only one that wants you to get to a diet that is healthy and maintainable. They said they have actually seen people develop eating disorders because they are so scared to eat anything “bad”, where they want you to get to a point where you can eat normal. The thing is, for many of us, our diet was not normal to begin with, so this is new to us.

Once we get to maintenance, we are encouraged to eat Proteins and healthy foods first, but also to allow ourselves to indulge in “bad” foods once in a while. As long as we are working out, tracking macros and not going overboard, we will be ok. The key is to not fall into an entire diet of carbs and sugars.

Height: 5’6
BMI: 37
VSG scheduled for 4/16/18
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

9 minutes ago, TexasMommy80 said:

I feel like my NUT is the only one that wants you to get to a diet that is healthy and maintainable. They said they have actually seen people develop eating disorders because they are so scared to eat anything “bad”, where they want you to get to a point where you can eat normal. The thing is, for many of us, our diet was not normal to begin with, so this is new to us.

Once we get to maintenance, we are encouraged to eat Proteins and healthy foods first, but also to allow ourselves to indulge in “bad” foods once in a while. As long as we are working out, tracking macros and not going overboard, we will be ok. The key is to not fall into an entire diet of carbs and sugars.

Height: 5’6
BMI: 37
VSG scheduled for 4/16/18
GW: 160
MFP: Fit4LifeAR

Ok so I sooo agree with this. But the caveat is--if your brain and body chemistry are so called "normal." Like, in a perfect world.

But honestly, my brain nor my body will ever be normal. I have a screwed up brain. I also have a body that actively wants to go to war with me--take me to the mattresses--in order to make me regain my weight.

So how can loosening our controls on our disruptive brain patterns ever make something good and healthy come out of our injured selves? Obesity is a life-long disease. It is lifelong once you have it. It never goes away. It only goes into remission. Ever.

Ever.

And on top of it. I am a lieing liar that lies. My brain is capable of AWESOME and incredible rationalization so that I get the fix I desire.

And worse, I have lost and regained and lost and regained and lost and regained since Moby d**k was a minnow. Do I honestly think things will be different now if I don't stop the insanity and change things up? I have done that by "stopping" my diet and resuming my old eating habits. There is no grey there---I'm either on or off. I suspect many of us are that way?

Just asking questions here and being devil's advocate--not meaning to judge--only judging my own lack of moral pulchritude!

Edited by FluffyChix

Sorry, but this just seems so highly illogical. Like, gah, I know we're all human, but dang. Ok, walking out of the thread and closing the door before my mouth writes checks my brain can't cash. :blink:

Well that at least was a kind choice. None of us are Vulcans and none of us got fat because we were psychologically healthy.
I’m doing my best.

1 minute ago, myfanwymoi said:

Well that at least was a kind choice. None of us are Vulcans and none of us got fat because we were psychologically healthy.
I’m doing my best.

Yes. None of us are perfect. And we are all trying to muddle through this. And I make phenomenally cray choices at times too! So I'm the last person claiming perfection! I'm a totally cracked nut! ((hugs))

Baked a carrot cake for Tomkitten a couple days ago, decided a small piece might not hurt. Wrong, the symptoms I got sound so close to what I have heard dumping is like, I vow I'll never. do it again, and I'll even remember when I am post-surgery. Not only did I want to die, I almost prayed for it. Back to my calm little semi-surgical diet and won't wander off that path again. If future doctor puts me on liquid diet, Protein Shakes etc I will whine not, for I have seen a glimmer of the wages of dietary sin.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Ok so I sooo agree with this. But the caveat is--if your brain and body chemistry are so called "normal." Like, in a perfect world.
But honestly, my brain nor my body will ever be normal. I have a screwed up brain. I also have a body that actively wants to go to war with me--take me to the mattresses--in order to make me regain my weight.
So how can loosening our controls on our disruptive brain patterns ever make something good and healthy come out of our injured selves? Obesity is a life-long disease. It is lifelong once you have it. It never goes away. It only goes into remission. Ever.
Ever.
And on top of it. I am a lieing liar that lies. My brain is capable of AWESOME and incredible rationalization so that I get the fix I desire.
And worse, I have lost and regained and lost and regained and lost and regained since Moby d**k was a minnow. Do I honestly think things will be different now if I don't stop the insanity and change things up? I have done that by "stopping" my diet and resuming my old eating habits. There is no grey there---I'm either on or off. I suspect many of us are that way?
Just asking questions here and being devil's advocate--not meaning to judge--only judging my own lack of moral pulchritude!

Thank you.im picking up on the lack of judgment and of course you’re right. I have to reset... for 16months I’ve been making good choices because it was too unpleasant when I didn’t. Now I have to make good choices because I want to be healthy.
I didn’t get much dietician support with my package once the early days were over.
I’m interested to hear how other people keep the demon in the cookie box.
Actually reminds me of a fab book I have on kindle about starving our inner pig! Hmmm maybe I should read it!!!

The title of this post is "dumpings finished...." Answer me this, does dumping syndrome go away after time? I wasn't under that impression?

2 minutes ago, myfanwymoi said:

Thank you.im picking up on the lack of judgment and of course you’re right. I have to reset... for 16months I’ve been making good choices because it was too unpleasant when I didn’t. Now I have to make good choices because I want to be healthy.
I didn’t get much dietician support with my package once the early days were over.
Actually reminds me of a fab book I have on kindle about starving our inner pig! Hmmm maybe I should read it!!!

You know, THIS is a beautiful and super powerful statement you just made:

"I have to reset... for 16months I’ve been making good choices because it was too unpleasant when I didn’t. Now I have to make good choices because I want to be healthy."

I'm going to write that down and remember it my friend!

Oh and as a recovering alcoholic for 90% of my adult life 28/ 32 years. One four year relapse six years ago, I know all bout the denial and justification. And in I’m ready to hear people say listen to yourself. I just much prefer when the do it with some kindness as you have done. Enough people in life who’ll tell me what a hames I’ve made of it and how defective I am as a human being. It’s never made me anything but angry and more self self destructive.. and tough love generally requires a preexisting relationship and trust.
But anyway, thank you, you’ve got me thinking about it in a positive way

IMG_0535.JPG
This book 🤠

8 minutes ago, myfanwymoi said:

Oh and as a recovering alcoholic for 90% of my adult life 28/ 32 years. One four year relapse six years ago, I know all bout the denial and justification. And in I’m ready to hear people say listen to yourself. I just much prefer when the do it with some kindness as you have done. Enough people in life who’ll tell me what a hames I’ve made of it and how defective I am as a human being. It’s never made me anything but angry and more self self destructive.. and tough love generally requires a preexisting relationship and trust.
But anyway, thank you, you’ve got me thinking about it in a positive way

I get ya. Addiction has many faces. I probably have lots of addictions. I think if I squinted real hard, I could become an alcoholic. But thankfully God stopped me up short of that one. LOL, I would like to become addicted to yoga or something...like, um, eating sprouted microgreens perhaps? :D

Yeah. Sigh, sometimes it gets old. Sometimes we slip. Sometimes there's a bus.

But I do think that for me at least, when I'm my most defensive is when the subject is the MOST IMPORTANT for me. And warning bells go off in my head that hey, here's a very painful opportunity to change my thoughts/behaviors/feelings/emotions. I'm a big believer in "I think therefore I feel."

I get ya. Addiction has many faces. I probably have lots of addictions. I think if I squinted real hard, I could become an alcoholic. But thankfully God stopped me up short of that one. LOL, I would like to become addicted to yoga or something...like, um, eating sprouted microgreens perhaps? [emoji3]
Yeah. Sigh, sometimes it gets old. Sometimes we slip. Sometimes there's a bus.
But I do think that for me at least, when I'm my most defensive is when the subject is the MOST IMPORTANT for me. And warning bells go off in my head that hey, here's a very painful opportunity to change my thoughts/behaviors/feelings/emotions. I'm a big believer in "I think therefore I feel."

Fashaw! And hear what you say about defensive [emoji79][emoji79]

The title of this post is "dumpings finished...." Answer me this, does dumping syndrome go away after time? I wasn't under that impression?

For some it doesn’t happen much, for some it continues long term but most of us have a year to 18 month window where wrong choices really hurt. I saw it like a pair of crutches... and of course the first thing I did when they’d gone was fall over!!!

And here’s a funny coda to yesterday’s chats: watched that drs video about Caloratio app, reread Glenn Livingston book about not binging. Great ideas about food rules - always, never and conditional- define with regard to your personal goals and needs and adhere to them, plus stuff about how to deal with the demons that make you want to break your own rules!
This morning I think hmmm weetabix is on post op diet, banana good fruit with potassium... do it! The only weetabix in the house is a pack I got from a new brand sampling thing I used to get - additions with apple raisin and cinnamon.
VERY HEALTHY I think. Two biscuits one small banana half cup of milk. Ate slowly.
Then I DUMPED big time dumped. Cramps, sweats, hypo, nausea!!!
Funnily enough I had a shop porridge mix in week three after surgery with apple cinnamon an raisin which gave me my first ever dump!
Might need to plan my diet rules carefully. No processed apple n cinnamon products!
Live and learn but feeling very positive about remembering old tools and picking up some new ones!

1 minute ago, myfanwymoi said:

And here’s a funny coda to yesterday’s chats: watched that drs video about Caloratio app, reread Glenn Livingston book about not binging. Great ideas about food rules - always, never and conditional- define with regard to your personal goals and needs and adhere to them, plus stuff about how to deal with the demons that make you want to break your own rules!
This morning I think hmmm weetabix is on post op diet, banana good fruit with potassium... do it! The only weetabix in the house is a pack I got from a new brand sampling thing I used to get - additions with apple raisin and cinnamon.
VERY HEALTHY I think. Two biscuits one small banana half cup of milk. Ate slowly.
Then I DUMPED big time dumped. Cramps, sweats, hypo, nausea!!!
Funnily enough I had a shop porridge mix in week three after surgery with apple cinnamon an raisin which gave me my first ever dump!
Might need to plan my diet rules carefully. No processed apple n cinnamon products!
Live and learn but feeling very positive about remembering old tools and picking up some new ones!

I haven't had dumping syndrome just yet. LOL! I am, according to Baritastic, only 6 days post-op. It sounds like a horrible feeling and I am so not tempted to tempt fate and see what it feels like. It sounds like it really bites the big one.