Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post sleeve and just ate a whole pint of low cal ice cream

So I’m new here but I need some help. I’m 2 weeks post gastric sleeve. I’ve been doing my best to maintain my diet requirements as far as Water intake, Protein Shakes and blended Soups. Per my doctor’s diet diet plan, I’m able to eat a sugar-free/fat free ice cream. So I went in search of it but only found a pint of low cal, low sugar ice cream. Well, without even thinking about, I ate the whole pint. At the moment, I’m only feeling gas moving around but I didn’t think I’d be able to do that. Aside from feeling like a complete failure right now, I’m worried of what can happen because I did this. Has anyone else ever done this and have you ever experienced any complications? Thank for any and all your responses!

I won't give you crap...cause it seems apparent you realize you screwed up.

Luckily...ice cream is a good slider...with luck, it should squish through without harming your sleeve.

That said...you're probably in for some digestive distress and rebound hunger...neither are pleasant.

If you have multiple slip ups where you're consuming way more than you should....you should consider talking to the therapist.

Hopefully....this is a one time moment of madness...and you can take the unpleasant digestive side effects as a lesson learned and not repeat it.

Tomorrow is another day.

Good luck, and be well!

Thanks Creekimp! Yah, I’ve been too nervous to try anything outside of the diet plan. Thinking this option was close to what is allowed, i tried it to have something new because I’m struggling with constantly drinking those darn Protein Shakes. It’s getting difficult. Especially when my wife and kids can eat regular food while I’m stuck drinking a shake or Soup. I’m getting bitter. Oh well, tomorrow’s a new day. Thanks again!

I truly think we are all sleeved differently because trust me, I have zero willpower, and yet I've not been tempted not a little bit by any dessert or anything sweet, or overeating. I did not stick to doctor orders out of virtue, but out of inability to do anything else. I can barely get down 300 calories a day and I'm 16 days post op. We all will have our own challenges along the way, and being mindful of our mistakes is super helpful in the beginning and you seem like you are.

That being said, if you were to have ice cream again, I recommend something with a high Protein count because it's essential for us post op. Halo top is great for that. It's basically the macros of greek yogurt :)

It does sound like you know that you went off the reservation. I think you learned that ice cream is a trigger food and you just might want to stay away from it altogether for a while. Just get back on the reservation as if nothing happened. For me, ice cream is pretty much a "no-no" due to it both being a trigger food and the potential for dumping syndrome.

Edited by Mattymatt

Just curious. How do you want us to help you with this issue/behavior? What are you looking for from us? Inquiring minds and all... :D

4 hours ago, Polymorphing said:

I truly think we are all sleeved differently because trust me, I have zero willpower, and yet I've not been tempted not a little bit by any dessert or anything sweet, or overeating. I did not stick to doctor orders out of virtue, but out of inability to do anything else. I can barely get down 300 calories a day and I'm 16 days post op. We all will have our own challenges along the way, and being mindful of our mistakes is super helpful in the beginning and you seem like you are.

That being said, if you were to have ice cream again, I recommend something with a high Protein count because it's essential for us post op. Halo top is great for that. It's basically the macros of greek yogurt :)

I haven’t had any real cravings. for me it was just trying something different to put in my mouth as supposed to the Protein Shakes. It’s funny, I can smell food and it smells good and familiar but I don’t have the craving or desire to actually eat it. I think part of it is the fear of what it may do to me. Unfortunately that fear was gone after taking a few bites of the ice cream. I think you’re right though, I just need to stay away from it all together. Thanks for your input!!

1 hour ago, Mattymatt said:

It does sound like you know that you went off the reservation. I think you learned that ice cream is a trigger food and you just might want to stay away from it altogether for a while. Just get back on the reservation as if nothing happened. For me, ice cream is pretty much a "no-no" due to it both being a trigger food and the potential for dumping syndrome.

That’s my plan, Matt! I didn’t experience Anything outside of gas with ice cream but I don’t want to do that again. Today, back on the reservation! Thank you!

That’s my plan, Matt! I didn’t experience Anything outside of gas with ice cream but I don’t want to do that again. Today, back on the reservation! Thank you!

You're most welcome. I can understand your desire for some variety. I'm already wanting some variety and I'm only 4 days post-op.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

44 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Just curious. How do you want us to help you with this issue/behavior? What are you looking for from us? Inquiring minds and all... :D

Well, these posts have helped me a lot! I think last night I as was a little freaked out of what I had done and was kind of desperate for some encouragement. I’m really hoping and praying that this doesn’t become a recurring issue/behavior. I guess it’s a good reason to go to the post op classes.

Yep. Or if you recognize that you cannot control this type of behavior over time, to seek bariatric food counseling sooner rather than later to deal with the food issues?

9 hours ago, Danbug74 said:

ate the whole pint

@Danbug74

ice cream is a "slider" - it goes down the hatch easily. No problems. you are able to eat a lot without a prob. you won't get that "full feeling". Don't do it!!! popcorn. potato chips, Cookies, goodies etc.- your tummy can/does tolerate these foods easily. unfortunately these and other foods do not make it onto the hit parade. (or NUTS approval) LOL

It would be great if high Protein chicken/fish were sliders!! LOL - we can never have enough of those. don't "test" the Water on any food. don't see how much food you can eat. too much of anything is no good.

lllllong time ago - when i was a newbie - i went threw pantry/cupboards and tossed all the "bad" stuff, that way i wasn't tempted. also do the same with fridge and freezer (ice cream , hint, hint;))

congrats on your pre and post OP weight loss of 72 lbs!!! you are off to a terrific start.

good luck

kathy

Ice cream is soft, so you should be ok. That being said, you know you probably shouldn't do that, so you need to think through how to avoid it in the future. Can you take one serving out, put the rest back, and be ok? Or do you need to avoid it all together?

Nobody is perfect. The important thing is you realize you slipped up, and you plan for how to make better choices in the future. :)

You're most welcome. I can understand your desire for some variety. I'm already wanting some variety and I'm only 4 days post-op.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

Patience dear Mattymatt. Stay the course :)

These precious few weeks are when we retrain ourselves to use food as fuel versus pleasure.

And I’m talking more to myself than to you - but your post resonates with me as I am anxiously awaiting Monday when I get to add scrambled eggs. It’s the one thing I’ve missed in the last few weeks. I only hope I’m able to tolerate them. Fingers crossed!

Well, these posts have helped me a lot! I think last night I as was a little freaked out of what I had done and was kind of desperate for some encouragement. I’m really hoping and praying that this doesn’t become a recurring issue/behavior. I guess it’s a good reason to go to the post op classes.

Hi

I would suggest the next time you want ice cream you measure out the amount as prescribed by your nutritionist/doctor - put it in a small bowl (so it looks like a lot) and eat slowly.

For me, I’m only allowed up to 2 TBS of the new soft foods I’m introducing this week (unsweetened applesauce, loose oatmeal, instant mashed potatoes - made with Water only). I bought these small glass bowls and tons of measuring spoons, cups, etc. to learn proper portion sizes. When I move to tuna and scrambled eggs next week, my plan is to use small salad plates. Fools the mind into thinking there is more food

Just my $0.02
Roxine