Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else had problems with Kidney stones since having surgery?

I had RYN on 11/21/17.

In January I got my first kidney stone. It was so bad I ended up with a horrible infection after it passed and was on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

I had my 2nd in February and this one I'm not sure passed I had bad pain, but I also had another UTI and a yeast infection from the first round of antibiotics.

Well now it is March and guess what... Another kidney issue. This time I was cramping like menstrual cramps for 2 days, then I had 2 days of intense pain in just my left lower back. I didn't think these were kidney related, because I am on my period.

The back pain was so severe I couldn't get it to ease no matter what pain reliver I took, so I went to the ER.

My pain level was way over a 10. I was vomiting the pain was so bad. The ER doctor gave me 2 doses of Morphine, didn't even touch the pain.

Of course the nurses didn't believe me until I practically started screaming and vomiting again even with zophran.

They then wanted to give me Tordol. I told them I couldn't have NSAIDS, and if morphine didn't work what makes them think that will.

About 2 hours later they gave me fentanyl and finally some relief.

I was actually admitted to the hospital this time and was told because my pain is so severe they are going to do surgery on my Kidney to lazer some of the stones.

So I had my surgery at 8am this morning, they let ne go home with tramodol... Well needless to say the cramps are back and the tramodol hasn't done crap. 🙁🙁🙁

Anyone else going through anything similar?

I have an appointment in 6 weeks to follow up and try to find ways to prevent further stones. Not sure how that will work considering all the protien I eat, and for me they are genetic.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

Do you know if they are Calcium Oxalate stones? They're the most common.

If so...are you taking your Calcium as directed?

It might seem contraindicated to take more calcium when you're suffering calcium stones...but in the diet, calcium actually bonds with oxalate (to help prevent it from causing stones).

If you have calcium oxalate stones....take your calcium as directed.

Also, make sure your Vitamin D level is good. If you are low, take vitamin D, as well, since it is necessary for your body to absorb needed calcium.

Do you know if they are Calcium Oxalate stones? They're the most common.

If so...are you taking your Calcium as directed?

It might seem contraindicated to take more Calcium when you're suffering calcium stones...but in the diet, calcium actually bonds with oxalate (to help prevent it from causing stones).

If you have calcium oxalate stones....take your calcium as directed.

Also, make sure your Vitamin D level is good. If you are low, take Vitamin D, as well, since it is necessary for your body to absorb needed calcium.

I won't know for 6 weeks at my follow up appointment.

I take my calcium as directed and my blood levels are perfect other than my Vitamin D. I am deficient in that have been my whole life. I take 5000 iud a day and then a 25,000 iud pill 2x a week.

Investigate your Vitamin D level.

High Protein diets are strongly correlated with kidney stones.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1169452/

How many mg of Calcium are you taking per day? Are you taking Citrate or Carbonate?

Edited by Creekimp13

Investigate your Vitamin D level.
High Protein diets are strongly correlated with kidney stones.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1169452/

Edited my response. I know my Vitamin d is low. It has been my whole life. I'm already taking the necessary steps to improve it.

It's not all surgery related though for me. I also have the genetic disposition for them.
I appreciate the link but I already do almost all of those things and I'm still suffering.

If you have a genetic predisposition for Calcium oxalate stones, you should probably be considering increasing plant based sources of Protein in your diet, and cutting your protein down to the minimum required by your bariatric doctor.

I wouldn't wait 6 weeks. I'd call my bariatric doctor tomorrow and get in ASAP to talk about diet and Vitamin strategies.

Edited by Creekimp13

If you have a genetic predisposition for Calcium oxalate stones, you should probably be considering increasing plant based sources of Protein in your diet, and cutting your Protein down to the minimum required by your bariatric doctor.
I wouldn't wait 6 weeks. I'd call my bariatric doctor tomorrow and get in ASAP to talk about diet and Vitamin strategies.

My urology appointment is the end of April and my 6 month appointment with my NP at the Bariatric center is in June so I'm hoping to work with them both to determine the best actions.

PS...plant based Proteins are terrific...but AVOID NUTS and nut butters....they are very high in oxalate.

I would get in to see your bariatric doctor next week, if possible.

I would get in to see your bariatric doctor next week, if possible.

I will try. I just saw them last week. They didn't seem concerned about the stones, just that it comes with the territory. 🙁
I'll also be out of the state next week so it'll have to be in 2 weeks.

Gotcha.

I wish you a lot of luck with this. It's painful and challenging.

Wish you didn't have to deal with this. I hope you find a good balance that arrests the process.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Gotcha.
I wish you a lot of luck with this. It's painful and challenging.
Wish you didn't have to deal with this. I hope you find a good balance that arrests the process.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you!