Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the post op ladies! (Men, beware!)

I got my first period two days ago, while on birth control (I might add). I know I couldn't have possibly "gained" weight, but the scale did move up 2lbs since I've been on my cycle. Is this something you all experience? Is it Water retention or hormones? The biggest question, once you are off your lady friend, does the weight just come off, plus some? I'm still working out all throughout. I'd hate to think I'm not going to loose for the 4-5 days I'm on it.

Yepper, that happens. Hormones are wicked to weight loss efforts... and you do retain Water. Then it drops off right after.

If you're enjoying a regular cycle after weight loss surgery....You're really missing out on trying it during perimenopaus. So much fun! Wheeeeeee! LOL.

(but yeah...I feel your pain. Stick to your program, keep working out....you'll do great)

@Creekimp13 you just brought up a point for me to puzzle about. I am postmenopausal (praises be) due to age not surgery. As I start fervent weight loss post-surgery ( and things are looking like that could occur) and all the hormones and other chemicals are released from my " chicken fat" could I have some late drippage from my nether regions? I have heard you sisters who are still cycling have heavy or prolonged discharging? Am I exempt? Oh I hope I hope, don't want to drag my tired tushie onto Dr Prior's bench of shame! I offered myself up for a hysterectomy several years ago and he wasn't interested. Sad when you can't even pay a man to look down there! Sniffle boo hoooo sniffle!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I think you're safe, frust:) If you're postmenopausal, it really shouldn't bring you out of menopause. (particularly if it's been more than a year since your last period)

A lot of heavy women suffer secondary amenorrhea (absence of periods). Surgery will often restart their period if they are not yet menopausal.

Perimenopausal women (who are at the end of their menstrual years, but haven't stopped yet) can get some interesting swings from the weight loss of surgery.

There's definitely a hormonal component. Mostly, it favors fertility and healthier cycles. (some of us REALLY don't want to get pregnant at this point! Caution should be taken to make sure birth control is in place)

Edited by Creekimp13

I always retain Water during my cycle. Completely normal. It comes off a day or two after. It does usually mean only losing 3 weeks a month on a good month, less if I’m starting to stall though.

Like a lot of others have said, I retain Water during my cycle! I got the IUD before surgery as recommended by my doctor. Even though I'm on the IUD, I think I still have a cycle of sorts, and I notice I get more hormonal/my body feels differently each month, even though I'm not menstruating.

That being said - I think the most important thing to remember is that a pound is 3500 calories. If you weigh in and you've suddenly gained weight, it's most likely water weight. Why? Well... it's really freaking hard to not only eat back what you burn each day, let alone another 3500 on top of that, when we have such teeny tummies.

That's what helps me get through the wild ride that is weighing in! Haha

Edited by honeyedlife

12 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I always retain Water during my cycle. Completely normal. It comes off a day or two after. It does usually mean only losing 3 weeks a month on a good month, less if I’m starting to stall though.

That does stink that it basically adds a stall week per month because of our stupid menstrual cycle. Joys of womanhood I guess!

2 hours ago, honeyedlife said:

That being said - I think the most important thing to remember is that a pound is 3500 calories. If you weigh in and you've suddenly gained weight, it's most likely Water weight.

I remind myself about how many calories equals a pound each time I've stepped on the scale this week. It is super frustrating. I've fluctuated all the way to +4lbs. And then the next morning I will be down 2lbs and so on....

Next month when it is this time, I won't even weigh in. It's too stressful.