Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I’ve enjoyed everyone’s posts and gotten a lot of valuable information from these forums. Here’s my concern...I’m really, really tired, to the point of exhaustion. Not really sleepy, but no energy. I was sleeved on Feb. 26th and the first week and a half or so was pretty uneventful and about 5 days out from surgery, I had a ton of energy and was thinking this is great. Not so much anymore. Anyone else experiencing these same affects? I’m keeping up with my vitimins that I’m required to take plus adding B-12 to the mix. I just wish I wasn’t so exhausted.

Maybe all that adrenaline has left and you're sinking,into the Blahs.Part of it even could be finishing up winter, even the winter feels tired. Take a walk outside if you can. Fresh air can give you a new perspective on things. And keep pisting, you are among friends here.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, KSCgettingvsg said:

.I’m really, really tired, to the point of exhaustion. Not really sleepy, but no energy. I was sleeved on Feb. 26th and the first week and a half or so was pretty uneventful and about 5 days out from surgery, I had a ton of energy and was thinking this is great. Not so much anymore.

Yes, it can be just like that.

I live on 960 calories to 1420 calories per day (average 1265). I also swim EVERY DAY ... never less than 105 minutes but usually 3.5 to 4.25 hours.

Because I am losing weight, I have a massive calorie deficit. (And because I have a massive calorie deficit, I lose a lot of weight.) In reality, I do not eat enough energy/calories to fuel my exercise so I am incredibly tired after my morning swim. I normally nap 90-150 minutes in the middle of the day on four to six days per week. And I sleep a lot better at night than I used to before surgery.

I am exhausted beyond belief some days but I would not change it as I like losing the weight.

2 hours ago, KSCgettingvsg said:

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I’ve enjoyed everyone’s posts and gotten a lot of valuable information from these forums. Here’s my concern...I’m really, really tired, to the point of exhaustion. Not really sleepy, but no energy. I was sleeved on Feb. 26th and the first week and a half or so was pretty uneventful and about 5 days out from surgery, I had a ton of energy and was thinking this is great. Not so much anymore. Anyone else experiencing these same affects? I’m keeping up with my vitimins that I’m required to take plus adding B-12 to the mix. I just wish I wasn’t so exhausted.

My energy started returning approximately week 4-5. It was when I transitioned into soft foods. Where are you in the food progression stages?

Ksc, talk to your doctor about the energy level. Have you had a blood panel done. Low Iron level could be an issue and is a easy check with a blood test. Dont just accept it if it last more than short time.

I was in the exact same situation. I felt great my first week post op, and then I just hit a wall. Even taking out the trash left me shaky and weak. I slowly recovered my energy, and am pretty much back to normal. I received a B12 shot a week ago, I'm not sure if it helped or not. My surgeon believes it is purely due to consuming such low cals.

5 hours ago, KSCgettingvsg said:

I had almost no stamina until about 4 months post op.

If you factor in dealing with a major calorie deficit, plus the emotional withdrawal from food (if that applies to you), plus the healing required from surgery, plus the crazy hormone and god-knows-what-else that is being dumped in your body as your body starts burning its fat reserves (not to mention it's winter and there are all sorts of bugs going around); being exhausted is not a shocking side effect.

You must take care of yourself. I work 6 days/week about 65-70 hours and a week and had to deal with doing this with almost no stamina. When I went home, I went to bed. When I wasn't working I mostly preferred to be alone. I took naps on my time off. Sort out what works for you.

It will pass, but when you're in the middle of it, it can be pretty intense. You may also notice being moody, angry, surly and all sorts of feelings. Give yourself space. Warn people. THey will have compassion.

3 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Yes, it can be just like that.

I live on 960 calories to 1420 calories per day (average 1265). I also swim EVERY DAY ... never less than 105 minutes but usually 3.5 to 4.25 hours.

Because I am losing weight, I have a massive calorie deficit. (And because I have a massive calorie deficit, I lose a lot of weight.) In reality, I do not eat enough energy/calories to fuel my exercise so I am incredibly tired after my morning swim. I normally nap 90-150 minutes in the middle of the day on four to six days per week. And I sleep a lot better at night than I used to before surgery.

I am exhausted beyond belief some days but I would not change it as I like losing the weight.

@Rainbow_Warrior, your progress is so inspiring!!!

Thank you everyone for the responses. I did talk to my doctor today and he said it was normal. I’m just coming off the liquid food phase and transitioning into the purée phase, so I’m only getting about 500-600 calories a day, if that. He said that I’m only two weeks out of surgery, and also my body is trying to go into hibernation mode because of the low calorie consumption and to try to stay active to fool it and it will get better. I do my blood work in 2 more weeks.

13 minutes ago, frust8 said:

What % go for B12 shots versus oral medication? Seems like you are the first,one I've seen recently getting shots.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I got the shot because I requested it. My surgeon was kind of dismissive of it, but prescribed it anyway. Going forward I'm going to have a once a week nasal spray, assuming it is covered by my insurance. I like the shot or nasal spray over oral because I already take enough Vitamins and pills that upset my stomach.

Edited by sillykitty
typo