Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love eating out now! I am not plagued by cravings 11 months after surgery. That may come for you as well.

One tip I love is to get online and check out the menu first. That's a holdover from my old Weight Watcher's days. That way you can plan what you'd like to have, do the calorie and macro counting, and avoid temptations on the menu when you get there. When my boyfriend and I go out, I just plan to share a little of his meal because I eat so little that it hardly makes sense for me to get a full meal of my own. If he wants something I shouldn't have, it's no big deal, I order the Soup or a side of veggies. If there's something on the menu I know will reheat well and I don't mind having a few more times that week, I get a full meal and take home leftovers. Sometimes I do appetizers if they are not too unhealthy, but they tend to be fried or really indulgent most of the time. I never order off of the kids' menu. A lot of people do after surgery, but I can't get over how awful the food choices are. Cheeseburgers, corn dogs, chicken tenders, and mac and cheese. Yawn. I don't even let my kids order food off of kids' menus.

Right after surgery, you'll probably find that there are lots of Soups out there that you never even knew about, almost every restaurant has some. It's a great option for eating out, and it helps make the pureed/soft phase a little more tolerable to be on it while enjoying a out with your wife and friends.

Edited by SassyScienceNerd

I am almost 5 weeks post RNY and I eat out all the time. I travel a lot for work and as of last week I had to start traveling again, which means eating out all meals. I have not had any problems so far. I am still concentrating on soft foods but I notice almost no one even notices my portion sizes. For instance today I had a lunch and then dinner meeting. I ordered a grilled chix sandwich for lunch without the bun or lettuce. Then for dinner I went to a steakhouse had grilled fish. I just tell people I am trying to watch what I eat and am doing low carb. It seems no one really cares nor asks many questions. I have been lucky though that I have no problems at all getting food down or keeping it down. Pre surgery and immediately after I was very worried how I would be able to eat out and how it would affect my social life and job. So far it has been fine and I seem to still enjoy food, just lesser portions and healthier choices.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, bobt1 said:

Special Thanks to Sullie06 - great feedback

You're welcome. Eating out in this new body can be very intimidating for sure and unfortunately eating is a huge part of most social functions. But it gets easier over time!

This weekend we were at Ground Round for my mother's birthday and they have a few new menu options that were pretty good choices. I ordered their Angus Sliders off the appetizer menu. It was perfect size for me, two sliders minus the Buns with grilled onion and pepper jack cheese on them (I eat full fat dairy so that was no issue for me). It came with onion rings (3- since it's an appetizer) but I let my son eat them and ate a few pieces of my husbands Broccoli. Just wanted to share.

Edited by Sullie06

Prior to my complications I ate out frequently as I hate cooking. I think one of my first truly solid meals was takeout from my favorite habachi place. If I ate in a restaurant I put food on a salad plate and immediately have them box the rest. Leftovers for a few days or excited roommate getting free food! I’d also drink a glass of Water, iced tea, whatever before I ate. If I ordered to go I initially weighed out 6 oz (didn’t always finish) but now I simply eat intuitively because of my pretty life altering complications. Stopped really tracking once I mostly lost the ability to eat solid food. I even splurge on chocolate and some sugar from time to time since I typically eat so little.

If people find it weird they don’t say anything. I went out for thanksgiving with my mom (sleeved end of August), got a Soup, steak, potatoes and something else. Had a cocktail (shhhh don’t tell ;)) the yummy soup, and 3-4 bites of steak, potatoes and green Beans then a few bites of pecan pie. I honestly don’t really stress about good or “bad” foods since the majority of my diet is healthy or liquids [emoji58]. About once a month I get in n out. Sometimes do Protein style depending on my carbs and workout for the day, but other days do a bun since I only eat 1/3-1/2. Bun seems to go down easier than the lettuce.

My biggest treat was a sham feeding test where you chew and spit out all the food and drink. It tests for vagus nerve damage. I got a spicy chicken sandwich from jack and curly fries which were my Achilles heal. Best meal I didn’t eat!

Sorry for being long winded...insomnia

An update from the originator of this stream:

I am now 7 weeks out from surgery and my wife and I have shared many of the same thoughts. She was afraid to eat in front of me but I finally convinced her it was not a problem. I just use my small plates, eat slowly and after 46 years of marriage she finally finishes eating most of her meal before me. We were both concerned about having to give up our favorite recreation, eating out.

We have been out to eat 4-5 times in last 3 weeks and easily found food to eat. Enchiladas can be opened to eat the shredded chicken and refried Beans, grilled or broiled fish goes down easy, shredded pork and chopped brisket go down easily. Mashed potatoes and thoroughly chewed french fires have worked well, and there is always soft scrambled eggs with some hash browns.

I seem to be able to eat more than many that write in here, but I also take home plenty of left overs. I typically am eating 4 oz of Protein with small portions of starch and vegetables.

I now have confidence that I kind find something satisfying to eat anywhere we might want to go. So I am no longer worried about Life After and eating out.

I agree. Always pick where you are going if not Soup is the safest for me. Or just try and order a side dish. I love shrimp cocktail . Some places will work with you too so you might be able to alter the menu a little. Good luck, enjoy your journey