Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should Medicare/Medicaid cover the band?

Should Medicare/Medicaid cover the band?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should Medicare/Medicaid cover the band?

• Yes, it should be covered
    • No, it should not be covered
    • Not sure how I feel on this subject

I have them both and they pay 100%

t=rose

how long did it take 2 get urs approved? I have both as well but I think they submitted my paper work 2 medicaid n im so nervous because I dnt know what 2 expect. is there someone i can call as far as medicaid

Many points to make on this subject.

People on medicaid do not get it to get over on the system. They get it because they have a food problem and they just happen to be overweight and on medicaid. Educated people on medicaid recognize they have a problem just like you do with your BCBS, AETNA, Wells Fargo,self pay and others so they get the surgery done. Just because you are self pay does not make you better than a medicaid recipient, just means you paid cash. If people on medicaid could get it paid with other insurance, they would do that too. Once your mind is made up to have the surgery, you will do what needs to be done to get it done. It really gets my goat when you have couch psychology about people on public aid. People would say that medicaid should be used for the basics. Why? Poor people have all sorts of issues just like you do. They have family, bills, cars just like a working person does. Why not have the surgery if they are overweight. I feel if you are overweight, and feel like you need a tool, have the surgery, whatever the means. This is not using the system just because it is public aid. Medicaid insurance has standards just as your insurance company does. If the people on medicaid didn't qualify, they wouldn't let them have it. People make it sound like public aid people just walk into any place and demand to have things done, given to them, without question. Pleeese, don't make the fact that you have a friend or family member on public aid and they take advantage of the system, the norm for this board because you would be sorely dissapointed by the class and intellegence some of these people have regarding their situation. There are scam artist in all walks of life with jobs. Most people who want weight loss don't care what kind of insurance they have as long as it covers what needs to be covered.

Lets respect how we all got here.

If you are young enough to work, get a job.

My tax dollar should not be paying for anybody's elective surgery. The waiting period for medicaid should be "wait until you get a job."

I've never met anyone on public assistance that I wouldn't consider as abusing the system and unfortunately, I know too many.

Self pays are 100 times better that any deadbeat on public assistance.

As stated earlier, don't let your trifflin' experiences color the whole spectrum of PA recipients. Just like I don't let some idiot white people and some idiot black people color my experience for them as a whole. I take each person as they come. It's called grow up.

If you are young enough to work, get a job.

My tax dollar should not be paying for anybody's elective surgery. The waiting period for medicaid should be "wait until you get a job."

I've never met anyone on public assistance that I wouldn't consider as abusing the system and unfortunately, I know too many.

Self pays are 100 times better that any deadbeat on public assistance.

I am young enough to work... heck my mom at 67 and father at 68 are young enough to be employed. So i shouldn't have medicaid? Ok... who'd help with my medical bills, and that of my children, since I am physically not able to work, which is why I have medicare. I have several reasons to be NOT able to work. My son has CEREBRAL PALSY, and you're telling me he can work and get off medicaid. Maybe in your own unintelligent mind.

teri:cursing:

I will be kind and not answer your idiotic questions.

You are an ignorant person. I wish you well in your journey, but secretly I hope and pray that as a person you have an awakening. To know what it is like to suffer poverty level incomes. Or God be good, know what it's like to be not able to work, and having to do without!

Teri

I deleted my post. I may have gone over the line.

Have a nice day.

Edited by btrieger

May! Indeed you did. One of my son's fathers is dead. Sorry that's the truth. So no unless you know something about heaven/hell and earth relationships that I don't, I don't believe that is possible. The twins father is in jail for raping me. Thank for putting that information out there. Yup, I had such a low self esteem I let myself get into that situation. I get no money from him, or his family who all deny any connection to my children.

Second, Matthew is PROFOUNDLY disabled. He's non-verbal. He's not able to use his hands for even feeding himself. His legs, well he can push a gait trainer, but only short distances. So I guess he can't be gainfully employed, he's also only 3 yrs old.

Third for my disability... I have 9 YES NINE herniated discs causing extreme pain, and yes I've had surgery on the worst, working on loosing weight for more. Then if they're all successful, maybe just maybe I can rejoin the working force. I herniated the discs in car accidents, not because of my weight, because at the time of injury I was just 202. They of course worsened in the course of my twin pregnancy. But I can't go around killing my own children. Something you probably wouldn't understand.

Go ahead quit paying taxes. See what happens to you.... for those that wanna know what she/he said... I'll copy paste it for ya.

BTRIEGER said.... Terilynn,

I tried to be nice but I guess you don't want me to stay quiet on the subject.

First off, you are either abusing the system or an unfit mother. You can't possibly be too disabled to work but able to care for 3 children on your own.

Which is it?

Second, why can't your baby daddy's insurance cover the medical? Being a single mom is not a badge of courage in my book. It "usually" means irresponsible parent that had no right to have children when they did.

Third, plenty of people with CP are productive members of society and are not freeloaders. Dependent upon your child's age and the level of his/her disability, maybe a job is in order.

And finally, don't go biting the hand that feeds you. I may stop paying my taxes and then where would you be? (end quote)

I'm glad you got a sense of whatever you want to call it. Think before you speak... think before you do.

Merry Christmas,

teri

Last post from me on this thread.

I deleted my post to be kind. Not because it might hurt your or anyone else' feelings.

If your intent by reposting was to demonize or make me feel guilty, forget it.

" Whaa, whaa, whaa, I'm a victim. Whaa, whaa, whaa. "

Enjoy your free ride.

Teri and Btri,

Looks like you guys have a ugly marriage. Think I'll stay out of it. But I will say that thank God for passage in the Senate. Hopefully they can get the public option or something close to it through after reconsiliation. I support Health care.

I don't know how you made up that whaa whaa wha bull shit. But you are totally not worth my time.

I too hope they can find a health insurance option that is for all. And stops making the elderly and the not healthy the horrible ones out there!

Teri

Yes, medicaid and/or medicare should pay for the surgery. Its not a question of whether people "ride" the system, its a matter of economics. Its the same if you are self pay or not.

If someone pays $15,000 for a lap band and that ends their high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, joint problems, etc.... you will save money in the long run. By improving their health it could even give them the ability to go to work and leave the system.

I think its a sad thing that health care is cosnsidered a privilege and not a right.

I think its sad that middle class americans who work as hard as upper class americans & have the same issues as those living in americas version of 'poverty' are completely overlooked. Fact is healthcare has always been considered a luxury and not a right. Weight loss surgery walks a fine line of elective & medical necessity. I'm doing it too but even I feel that much like any other addict I could have & should have done something myself sooner. This was not an overnight habit. I am a nurse but my PPO insurance opted not to cover any kind of WLS. I pay every mt for healthcare & now I pay every mt for my surgery on a credit card. Its a personal choice & although it would've been awesome if the procedure was covered I take responsibility for myself entirely & no insurance denial would have stopped me. But I believe what one can't afford one cannot buy. I'm a child of the law 'a man who will not work will not eat' ( 2Thess 3:10) Bare in mind that says 'will not' not 'can not'! So I waited til I was financially capable. Frankly wether it should be covered by PA, in my opinion, that should be determined on a case by case basis & the necessity should be assessed during the PCP & psych evaluation. Sure there are plenty of scammers out there & plenty ppl who would not be successful with the band & it'd be a waste of tax payer funds BUT there are those people who genuinely need the help & could benefit. I don't think anything in this world is as blk/wht as yes or no to such a loaded question. If you have healthcare coverage of any kind you'd hope it covers all your needs but for most of us it doesn't. The cost of healthcare is simply too high & at least in this country govt isnt giving it out for free, tax payers fund it & there obviously isn't enough people paying into the system for every elective procedure to be covered . That's a fact we all have grown to live with even if we don't agree. I can sympathize with those who use & need it but I can also empathize with btrieger's perspective- poorly as it may have been expressed. Seems his issue isn't so much if it should be covered but who qualifies to be on it! I think majority of us can concur that the PA system is foul & with this society of people who feel undeservingly entittled to everything being free there will always be room for people to abuse the system & make the truly deserving ones be in their shadow of shame. But that's another rant entirely. That's my opinion though!

Edited by Sashay02