Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

changed my mind about the lapband

I am currently waiting for approval for the lap band by BCBS anthem Missouri. I have changed my mind, I want the sleeve now. My paper work was sent 2/28 and i still do not have an approval or denial. Did it take longer to get a denial letter. After I'm approved, how do I go about changing the surgery and how much longer will it take to change after approval?

You would need to contact your surgical team immediately. The reason is, they would need to resubmit your information with a request for the sleeve. This will extend your wait time. Once they approve it, there is not a way to change it without having it withdrawn and new paperwork submitted. You are better off, having them resubmit for a new approval.

just contact your doctor office that submits everything and they can change it for you and resubmit... it usually takes less than 2 weeks for an answer from BCBS. They are pretty fast. You can call them within a few days to check on it as well. Thats what I did. It only took a week or so for me.

I just got approval for my lapband. I called the clinic to resubmit, How much longer will that take? I'm so tempted to just do the lapband,

I just got approval for my lapband. I called the clinic to resubmit, How much longer will that take? I'm so tempted to just do the lapband,

I would take the time to make the right decision. If you think the sleeve is right for you then resubmit. You will be happier for it.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:33 PM, ladyj70 said:

tempted to just do the lapband

@ladyj70

you/me should never "settle" on anything. you came to the wise conclusion

that the sleeve is a good WLS solution for you. (NOT saying LB is bad, just

saying IMO the sleeve is grrrreat):rolleyes:

call the clinic back - they might be able to tell you how long it will take for

approval. hopefully it won't take too long for the approval.

"God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It"!! LOL

good luck

kathy

On 3/12/2018 at 7:39 PM, ladyj70 said:

I am currently waiting for approval for the lap band by BCBS anthem Missouri. I have changed my mind, I want the sleeve now. My paper work was sent 2/28 and i still do not have an approval or denial. Did it take longer to get a denial letter. After I'm approved, how do I go about changing the surgery and how much longer will it take to change after approval?

I am very glad to hear that you've changed your mind about the lap band. Whenever I hear people considering it, I want to shudder because the different in complications and potential dangers is markedly higher than sleeve or bypass. You've made a much better choice. Sleeve and bypass patients lose weight at a faster rate with better long term, successful outcomes.

The band was over-hyped. One of the reasons why some of the largest manufacturers, are no longer making replacement parts. You can do what you want, but as a banded person myself since 2011 (a few days out from revision to the bypass), I would advise avoiding it.

I agree that you shouldn’t settle on something. It’s a big decision. I had a lap band and thought I did everything right. My band tilted and I couldn’t get anything but liquids down. Sometimes even that was challenging. I’m being sleeved after having removed my band last summer. Some people do great with the band. Others struggle and have complications. I would not recommend the lap band because of my personal experience. Do what’s best for you. Do more research and talk to your doctor. Good luck to you :)