Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Gastric Bypass Group

Is it crazy that I’m only 4 days post op and I am having major horror/crazy ass dreams of food? ??? It’s so weird and on top of that it is sooooooooo uncomfortable to sleep. I can’t wait til they take this thing out Thursday

The first few days I slept in a recliner. It stopped me from trying to roll over - I typically sleep on my side.

The dreams should go away - especially as you add foods to your intake. Don’t worry - dreams (or nightmares) can’t stop what you’ve started. Deep breath - follow your plan, walk as much as you can - and let yourself heal.

SW: 261
Pre-Op: 250
CW: 231
GW: 135-140 range

On 3/20/2018 at 9:57 AM, LakeishaNicole said:

Is it crazy that I’m only 4 days post op and I am having major horror/crazy ass dreams of food???? It’s so weird and on top of that it is sooooooooo uncomfortable to sleep. I can’t wait til they take this thing out Thursday

No, not really. I had dreams of donuts and soft pretzels last night. Now I KNOW that's a crazy dream because the two of them are almost mutually exclusive.

Today marks 2 weeks Post-Op- and I am down 30 pounds from my starting weight, 19 pounds since my surgery!

I went out of town this weekend and actually went out to listen to some live music Saturday night. I’ve been hitting all of my intake goals and am excited that today I get to STOP the Protein Shakes and get to introduce tuna and salmon - with a few crackers or 1/4 toast! I even get to use some Condiments.

While I still don’t have an appetite, it does feel good to have textural foods to chew with different flavors. Yum!

I have my 3 week follow up next Monday. Look forward to getting feedback on BP, HR, and labs. Hoping for good news!

Calling all March GBers / how are you progressing?

Congrats!!! I had my surgery Monday. All went well with the only bad thing being the horrible gas and diarrhea from the X-ray contrast. Came home yesterday and so far just really sleepy which I’m told is normal. Had a Protein Drink for “dinner” last night and it was pure amazingness compared to the horrible broth and sugar free Jello at the hospital. Like who would have thought those could be messed up. Lol. Wasn’t going to weigh until the 2 week mark but I cheated and I’m down 6 pounds from Monday morning.

Hello MGBGers! Happy Monday!

I am 21 days Post-Op today and have my follow up with my surgeon this afternoon. Current weight is 229 which is 32 pounds down from my starting weight and 21 pounds down from my pre-op surgery date weight.

I broke down and bought clothes this weekend. I have a business trip coming up and even the few clothes I saved I’m starting to drown in now.

Big nsv- I was able to shop in the regular side of the store - even purchasing some Shapewear in sizes M (shorts) and L (tank - for breasts) No more XL or 1X or 2X!

Also this week my diet expands to include fish and soft veggies and hummus and all different flavors and textures! I’m super excited!

I hope everyone is doing well. Looking forward to taking 1 month pictures next Monday and seeing the difference.

Post how you’re doing!

CW: 229

Im down 11 lbs since surgery 6 days ago, that seems like a lot. anyone else?

12 minutes ago, Saranimal83 said:

That's a lot!! Good start!! I'm a sleever, down 11#s in 13 days.

Great start! Stick to your doctors plan and walk as much as you can!

How are you feeling overall?

Surgery for me was March 14th, I'm still on liquids and will be until week three. Anyone else regretting this surgery? I feel like I've made a huge mistake. It's the scary of unknown future.

Hang in there and take it one day at a time. The outcome will make your journey all worth it.

Great start! Stick to your doctors plan and walk as much as you can!

How are you feeling overall?

I feel okay. Accept it hurts after I swallow like in my esophagus.

On 3/12/2018 at 4:42 PM, Roxine said:

Today is my first day posting so forgive me if I don’t get the lexicon right the first time.

Surgery Date: March 5, 2018

Starting Weight: 261

Surgery Day Weight: 250

Today’s Weight (Week 1): 241

I had a 90 day program working with a dietician and completing all of the pre-operative testing culminating in a 3 day liquid diet prior to surgery. The first day of the liquid diet was hard, but the excitement of my upcoming surgery made the other two days fairly easy.

I arrived at the hospital last Monday morning at 5:45 am and was wheeled into surgery at 7:45 am. I don’t remember much of that first day but I was up and walking that afternoon and evening. I was sore and there was pain but it was managed with Roxycodone every 3-4 hours (as long as my blood pressure didn’t drop too low - overnight, I had to wait 6 hours between doses as my BP had dropped below 100 systolic.

Day 2 at the hospital was filled with trying to get my fluids in and trying to get the gas out! The pain I was experiencing was mostly related to my abdomen being bloated with gas as a result of the laparoscopic procedure. I was successful on the former (sip, sip, sip!) but woefully unsuccessful on the latter. (In retrospect, I wish I would have walked more that second day.)

I was released by noon on day 3 and recovered the rest of the week at home. Below are just a few things that I’ve learned. Please share some of the things you’ve learned as well wherever you are in your journey and let’s help set expectations and share great ideas!

1. When you begin your Protein Shakes, your bowels will start moving again! I called my Drs office panicked because I pooped! (A bit scary after not pooping for almost a week!)

2. For me, I was unable to lay on my side until Day 6 comfortably. I used a comfy recliner most nights which prevented me from trying to toss and turn from side to side (I’m a side sleeper)

3. sugar free popsicles are great!

4. I don’t know if this will last, but my taste for broth has changed. Pre-surgery - and for my whole life - I have loved beef and chicken broth. But now, I can’t stand it.

5. You will get bored on the all liquid diet post op. Look for things you can combine. On my plan, I was allowed coffee. The Protein shakes I found to be quite chalky in my mouth. On Day 5 I combined the two, using my flavored Protein Shake as a “creamer” to my coffee. It was warm and delicious and now the only way I get in my Protein shake.

6. Listen to your pouch. The one thing you don’t want to do is pop the pouch. The staples need at least 3 weeks to fully heal so follow your surgeon/dietician’s program exactly. No cheating! Two tips my surgeon gave me - if you hiccup, you’ve overfilled - and if you want to clear your pouch sooner, stand up very straight for a few minutes to help facilitate drainage through the small intestine.

7. You will get tired easily - so push yourself but don’t overdo it. I started out walking throughout my house the first few days, up and down the stairs, went outside on Saturday and walked up and down the driveway, and finally went out to a few stores with my husband yesterday. I did okay at the grocery store until we went to check out. All of a sudden I was super tired. When we went to Home Depot to pick out a barn door, I found a chair to sit in while my husband picked up a few things before meeting me in the door section. I was ok walking back to the car but was tired the rest of the evening. Take it slow.

Today starts Week 2 and I get to add applesauce, yogurt, mashed potatoes and oatmeal. It’s nice to have something warm and chewy in my mouth again.

I will continue to post updates and invite all other March surgery dates to join.

Thanks,

Roxine

IMG_6676.JPG

Thank you so much for this briefing. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, 28 March. I had a ton of questions in my mind about the recovery period and you answered most of them!!

9 hours ago, frust8 said:

Roxine you remind me of a young Roseanne Barr, has anybody else told you that?

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Let us hope as I lose weight that reference goes away :) I've never really cared for Roseanne Barr - not sure why.

Ok - had my 3 week follow-up with Dr. Fitzer yesterday - everything went well. Incisions are healing nicely - verified my weight loss on their scale "YAY!" - I have to add a Calcium with Vitamin D to my regimen starting next week and follow-up again in 3 months. BP was amazing at 110/78, pulse was slow and steady at 62, no temperature. Have not had any issues with regurgitation or nausea - overall it's been a relatively easy recovery (knock on wood!)

I will see my Primary Care Physician and get all of my labs redrawn and see how my body has reset prior to my next in-office visit. I have a call with my dietician in about 3 weeks - at that point I will begin introducing foods of my choice and off the "green sheet" at the start of week 7.

This week i get to introduce flaky fishes and soft cooked vegetables (as well as soft fruits, hummus and other goodies). I broiled a salmon last night and made some cauliflower mash - it was AMAZING! ate about 3 ounces of salmon and just a little bit of the mash but it was so yummy. I will definitely have that again.

Today went to lunch with a co-worker - went to Au Bon Pain - ordered a smoked salmon wasabi on a skinny bagel (extra toasted). Ate all of the smoked salmon, and about 1/4 of the top of the bagel (it was crispier!) - the flavors were incredibly delicious! It's nice to be able to eat things with seasonings and textures again. I am perfectly full and am now working on my Fluid consumption (I've started having coffee in the morning and afternoon to help break up the monotony of just water.)

I hope you guys are doing well - check in and let us know how it's going. And we still have a few days - if you're a March Gastric Bypass Groupie *grin* - come join us!

Roxine