Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after birth before DR. Will perform WLS?

I want to do all the steps to get my insurance to approve my WLS procedure, but I plan on conceiving this summer, and would like to have the surgery about 6-8 weeks after delivery. I don’t breastfeed, as my kids are usually lactose intolerant.

Anyone have any info on how long after I’d have to wait or how long you had to wait after delivery??

Good luck. It's really the doctor's schedule--NOT your schedule that will determine whether any doc in the lands would operate on you with your present agenda. LOL.

It doesn't matter what we want. It matters what the doc and insurance companies want. LOL.

I like how people in this app like to reply to comments/questions that they don’t actually have answers too but opinions.

Thanks!

I want to do all the steps to get my insurance to approve my WLS procedure, but I plan on conceiving this summer, and would like to have the surgery about 6-8 weeks after delivery. I don’t breastfeed, as my kids are usually lactose intolerant.
Anyone have any info on how long after I’d have to wait or how long you had to wait after delivery??

Hello!
I was in the same situation and wanted to have surgery as close to my 2nd child’s birth as possible. In the end, my surgery was just under 6 months after birth.

I had to do the 90 days of nutrition visits after birth because there can’t be a big lapse of time between the end of the nutrition visits and the submission of your case for insurance approval. Add into that an appointment with my surgeon before and after nutrition, waiting for insurance approval and then scheduling surgery once approved. All those are just extra weeks in the overall timeline.

The two things you can maybe try to get done early: the psych visit and the sleep study. I believe both of those are good for 2 years.

Anyway, I tried to do everything as fast as possible and it was still just over 5 months after birth. I would adjust your expectations to something in that range... see if you can get all the appointments scheduled and locked in now! Maybe that’ll help reduce extra lag time between steps.

Also, I continued nursing my son throughout weight loss surgery and thereafter. It’s totally possible! Just need to keep your Water intake up and you’ll be fine production-wise, even with the low calorie consumption.

Good luck!!

@rachelzf Thank you! That’s a totally reasonable expectation. I wasn’t sure what the standard wait time would be in that situation. I was just curious how possible it would have been since I would like to utilize my off work time as best as possible, but if I have to go back to work and then go off again, then that’s what I’ll have to do! :D