Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this what "naturally" skinny people feel like?

I've been noticing a lot of changes about myself, of course, it's easy to not desire food when you're feeling ill or unwell, but I've been feeling WONDERFUL these past couple of days and no issues in my stomach at all, yet I have this... take it or leave it attitude when it comes to food. It's so so surreal and it makes me wonder if there are people who are just, born that way, without having to be sleeved. The people I always envied, the people who do not think of every food they see as a "missed opportunity". It feels extremely natural to NOT eat, when pre-op it felt unnatural to not be munching on something. I still love food and my cookbooks and I'll always be a foodie but now I feel pretty meh about actually eating the food. As I'm healing, my desire for eating food is decreasing by the day.

Anyone else feel that way? Is it temporary? I hope not. I love food but I feel... free.

I'm 4 weeks post op and I feel the same way. I'll have head hunger cravings. But then when I eat, it's just meh. Totally take it or leave it attitude. I'm also loving it! I never thought I could eat so few calories and not feel deprived.

Yep. I can so relate. You can't explain or convince pre-surg normies of this cataclismic change. They have to "get it" for themselves. LOL.

Now, I'm still a foodie and enjoy interacting with food and making up new recipes. But if I didn't do that, I would not feel a loss! You know?

43 minutes ago, Polymorphing said:

I've been noticing a lot of changes about myself, of course, it's easy to not desire food when you're feeling ill or unwell, but I've been feeling WONDERFUL these past couple of days and no issues in my stomach at all, yet I have this... take it or leave it attitude when it comes to food. It's so so surreal and it makes me wonder if there are people who are just, born that way, without having to be sleeved. The people I always envied, the people who do not think of every food they see as a "missed opportunity". It feels extremely natural to NOT eat, when pre-op it felt unnatural to not be munching on something. I still love food and my cookbooks and I'll always be a foodie but now I feel pretty meh about actually eating the food. As I'm healing, my desire for eating food is decreasing by the day.

Anyone else feel that way? Is it temporary? I hope not. I love food but I feel... free.

Somewhere along the timeline of our lives we discovered that food elicits a certain amount of pleasurable feeling and, in some theories, the pleasurable feeling is made more intense as it counters the pain of daily life. At least this has been true for me and I've discovered this through therapy. Food to some of us can be like alcohol to an alcoholic. Consider yourself lucky to begin to break free from this cycle but please remain aware that the propensity to turn to food as a solace may still be there but just in a dormant state. The outcome of your surgery is an absolute blessing and it bodes well for long term success. Create a new voice inside your head to remind you that food is only for living not for medicine. :-D

1 hour ago, Polymorphing said:

I don't think I had the sensation of full until after surgery. Some people believe that surgery takes hunger away completely. There is real hunger and head hunger as you progress.

Almost 4 years out - My hunger is manageable.

I believe this phenomenon to be hormone related or something, maybe it is true that once the ghrelin producing part is cut off we have a more normal response to food. Anyway you slice it, I'll take it.

Yup, I can totally relate to that “free” feeling. In four and a half years out and while I do feel hungry at times—both Head and real hunger—I still have that “free” fake it or leave it feeling.

The thing that is gone is the addiction to sugar and whats left is the joy of cooking and tasting food without the sugar addict monkey on your back. whether it was sweets or carbs(me) it was just sugar. The human brain runs on sugar (glucose) and it rewards you if you give it sugar. thats normal but for some of us it goes way past normal to a level that controls our actions and reactions. If i had a dollar for every time my doctor asked me to cut carbs. Well i would have had a lot of dollars (lol). Not that i didnt try over and over and over but the reaction was the same. Crazy hunger and still feeling like i needed to eat even when i had just eaten a meal.

The surgery followed by the restricted diet for 6 weeks let me break thru that and i to feel incredible and so different and while my complete lack of any hunger only lasted 5-6 weeks it was the happiest i had been in years.

Now at 7 months i look forward to the meals i prepare and i try for bold strong flavors and i enjoy that first bite very much but by the 3rd i am already feeling that the end is near and the 4th or 5 bite ends it. Sometimes i still feel bad that i just wasted the rest but that is the old me always trying to "clean my plate".

I hope i never can eat more than those 5 bites cause it makes me feel real good to walk away and know i did not just do something i will regret the next day.

I think the sugar/carb cycle is part of it but it’s not all of it. At least not for me. I’m four and a half years out and I allow carbs and sugar in my diet now, but they don’t have the same appeal. I can eat a cookie but stop at one (or...can you believe it, a half!) not because I’m full (at this point I could eat a whole box of cheese its if I wanted) but just because it doesn’t have the hold. Do I like carbs and sugar? Damn straight I do. But not in the same way.

Also, it’s really good you are making those changes now and they are a way of life for you because you will be able to eat more than five bites again, for sure. But the habits you are creating now, the new relationship with food/flavors/etc will make it so you don’t do something you regret. And honestly, an occasional indulgence shouldn’t be regretted! That’s the cool “free” feeling! Sometimes, I eat three or four of those cookies! But it’s a choice and not out of control and I don’t regret it the next day! I just don’t make a habit of it.

Yes!! I've had this same thought myself. Do normal people just walk into a kitchen and leave without things on the shelves in the pantry and fridge calling to them? Was this always their life? There are times I have actual hunger and I'm in front of the fridge and nothing in particular is screaming my name. It makes it so much easier to make a healthy choice when I don't have that burning desire to eat the salty-fatty-starchy thing anymore.

I also wonder if naturally skinny people leave the house feeling as fly as I do right now. I feel like every eye is on me and my smokin' hot bod. Hahaha!

55 minutes ago, SassyScienceNerd said:

I also wonder if naturally skinny people leave the house feeling as fly as I do right now. I feel like every eye is on me and my smokin' hot bod. Hahaha!

LOL, it's crazy how our stats are A MATCH! :o We even have the same goal weight! I hope to be as successful as you are, in 10 months! :D I'm one of those "pretty face" fatties, and it always angered me how people told me I didn't *need* to lose weight as if having the full package was somehow not permitted.

Thank you all for your wonderful replies. It's truly times like these that I love being a part of this community, moments when you feel like others understand you and support you.

yes, this surgery has liberated me from food (for now). Although I do find myself tempted to resort to food for comfort lately. That's why I think it is very important to have therapy. This is a big change for us in many many ways.

1 hour ago, Polymorphing said:

LOL, it's crazy how our stats are A MATCH! :o We even have the same goal weight! I hope to be as successful as you are, in 10 months! :D I'm one of those "pretty face" fatties, and it always angered me how people told me I didn't *need* to lose weight as if having the full package was somehow not permitted.

Hello Twinsie! This time next year you'll be shopping for a bathing suit in a single digit waiting on the weather to warm up enough to flaunt it!