Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys,

What kind of diet did you follow to loose weight prior to surgery? I have 17 pounds to go. I was thinking something like a Protein Shake for Breakfast, a lean cuisine for lunch, and a small piece or meat with a small salad for dinner. I like consistency so I wont get bored with the same things. Does this sound good or should I double up on the shakes. I need to have food as convenient as possible where I have two little kids and I work most of the day away.

Edited by 2018

good idea to do two shakes then lean and green for dinner and then 2 -3 Snacks in between :)

They told me I had to loose ten percent of my body fat! They didn't really give me a good plan dieting prior to the 2 week liquid diet before the appointment.

3 hours ago, 2018 said:

Hey guys,

What kind of diet did you follow to loose weight prior to surgery? I have 17 pounds to go. I was thinking something like a Protein Shake for Breakfast, a lean cuisine for lunch, and a small piece or meat with a small salad for dinner. I like consistency so I wont get bored with the same things. Does this sound good or should I double up on the shakes. I need to have food as convenient as possible where I have two little kids and I work most of the day away.

I'm not a medical professional...I'm definitely no expert..:)

Options:

call your surgeons office and ask for a pre op diet plan.

Download myfitnesspal food log app. (it's a great tool that most of us use post op) Many other food log apps out there.

Myfitnesspal

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfitnesspal.android&hl=en

myfittnesspal tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=myfitness+pal+tutorials

TDEE Calculator:

https://tdeecalculator.net/

It will calculate how many calories Protein, fats carbs to eat. It will do this by you sex, age, weight height and activity level. (skip the entry for body fat percentage)

hit calculate:

The top left is your maintenance calories: Scroll down to macros. You will see three tabs (maintenance) (cutting) (bulking)

Click on cutting this is your weight loss calories and macros: Not the carb breakdowns. Use the low carb ratio

Best of luck to you,

jenn

1200 kcals/day, 20% carb (60g), 40% Protein (120g), 40% fat (57g) -- this is essentially my pre-op plan, and I've lost 10 pounds in 10 days.

38 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

I'm not a medical professional...I'm definitely no expert..:)

Options:

call your surgeons office and ask for a pre op diet plan.

Download myfitnesspal food log app. (it's a great tool that most of us use post op) Many other food log apps out there.

Myfitnesspal

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfitnesspal.android&hl=en

myfittnesspal tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=myfitness+pal+tutorials

TDEE Calculator:

https://tdeecalculator.net/

It will calculate how many calories Protein, fats carbs to eat. It will do this by you sex, age, weight height and activity level. (skip the entry for body fat percentage)

hit calculate:

The top left is your maintenance calories: Scroll down to macros. You will see three tabs (maintenance) (cutting) (bulking)

Click on cutting this is your weight loss calories and macros: Not the carb breakdowns. Use the low carb ratio

Best of luck to you,

jenn

Hello Jenn,

great stuff you posted! thanks! Do you prefer myfittnesspal over baritastic app? I am using the baritastic now.

38 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

2 minutes ago, Glamgirl said:

Hello Jenn,

great stuff you posted! thanks! Do you prefer myfittnesspal over baritastic app? I am using the baritastic now.

I have used myfitnesspal for four years. ..lol I'm sure technology and other apps are great if not better. I have not checked out the other apps

When is your surgery? I was required to lose 10 percent as well in 2 months prior to surgery. Surgery for me is in a month & I have lost 12 pounds so far with 6 pounds to go. I just followed a high Protein low carb diet. 2 shakes a day & a salad or protein and veggies for dinner.< br>

I am not scheduled yet. I did not even have to get on a list, the day after I called the nurse called back and said to come in the next day for consult. But I have been seeing a diabeties nut for a year. I already had a cardiac dopler, pulmonary function test.

Prior to my preop diet I started doing Meal Replacement shakes. However, I don’t recommend it. You get sick of Protein Shakes so quickly after surgery, you don’t want to speed up the process. I used MyFitnessPal and logged everything I ate. I got all my Protein in to prepare for post op. It also made me realize what it would take, food wise, to meet my protein goals. You have to choose wisely.

Does anyone know if Sobe Water is okay to drink?

Nutrition Facts ( No carbonation)

0 Calories

0 Fat

0 Carbohydrates

0 Sugar

15 mg Sodium

15 minutes ago, 2018 said:

0 Calories

0 Fat

0 Carbohydrates

0 Sugar

15 mg Sodium

I'd say that it is OK. All the no-no's are checked off. If you like flavored water, you may want to consider Protein Water as well. Protein2o is really yummy! It is a great way to get in your protein requirements.

29 minutes ago, 2018 said:

0 Calories

0 Fat

0 Carbohydrates

0 Sugar

15 mg Sodium

My Dr cleared me for that Water. It was perfectly okay to use.

Hey guys,

So basically what I have had success with is...

Protein shake for breakfast (love the Premier Protein shakes)
Avoid Pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, corn... but if I must indulge, try for whole grain items and follow serving size rules!
Stick to serving sizes for meats, ~6 oz lean mean with lunch and dinner.
Aim for Protein rich foods..

If I’m eating green or veggies other than potatoes, corn, or beans... I eat as much of them as I want to.

Lunch is typically a salad of spinach, chicken, sharp cheddar, and almonds with a balsamic dressing.

Dinner is usually a lean meat with two diff veggies.

I try not to snack (this is tough though).

I don’t really dig lean cuisines personally ... not enough food to make me feel full and they have a lot of salt.

I lost 15lbs the first month following the above pattern. I’ve lost 5 the last month, but I’ve really been slacking and had a lot of events going on.

Good luck! You got this!