Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What length is your bypass?

My revision was done to restore a better route for hydration and nutrition after gastric sleeve issues. My surgeon was conservative with the bypass and that was fine by me. He said it was roughly 80cm/1 meter/3 feet . It is early but I dump if I am not careful and have had an episode of RH when I was unwise. It is a powerful surgery but it allowed me the chance to get my health back on track. I have been able to at least hydrate, get nutrition in, and not lose further weight - which was the goal. Now I focus on regaining and rebuilding my health.

This is question that many do ask. And I can pose another- Who are more prone to Constipation, sleevers or Bypassers? Or perhaps like many,other things in life, it depend on the individual?

Great info everyone! I have my revision from VSG to MGB on 1Nov and would love to get any advise y’all might have.

On 3/10/2018 at 7:43 AM, FluffyChix said:

I only know she said she "didn't make my bypass length very long." :( I guess cuz of my lower BMI/weight?

It’s interesting you say that because I just had the MGB done in Guadalajara and Dr. Alejandro Lopez (great doctor btw) said he took up 450 cm, which is about 14 ft in my calculations. I assume that because I weighed 214 lbs, 5’5” with a 35 BMI is maybe why. I know most are between 6-10’ in length bypassed. Shocked me so I kept asking to make sure I was understanding the number correctly. Maybe because I was low BMI he took that much up too? I’m not sure. 🤔

as of Jan 1, 2019 I weigh 140lbs from my revision on Apr 11, 2018. My weight loss has slowed but I work out 3-4 days/week and run a 3mi almost daily

No clue...never thought to ask

Hi,

Well when I asked my surgeon repeatedly to make sure I had the number right because I had it done in Guadalajara, Mexico by a very well respected and highly trained doctor at ALO Bariatrics, he said that it was 450cm (14ft). I said okay let me translate this into feet because when I’ve researched I’ve seen the standard at maybe 6-10’ from the upper part of your small intestine. So of course I immediately thought, “wow that’s a lot, I hope I don’t become one of those that end up losing too much weight.” I know that different surgeons will base their decision on your body makeup (wt, ht, rx history) etc. and when I saw this post described as a lower BMI, I thought maybe that’s why. As Dr. Rutledge has indidcated on his video that there is no actual magic number and based on skill on their part that they hit the right length so that you lose at a pace and not too much or too slow. The nice thing about the MGB is that it is revisional which was one of the reasons I choose this one over all the others. Also, DS patients typically only have 6-7 feet left at the bottom of their small intestine. This is why they have long term Weight Loss so high. (But that is a whole other subject they contend with).

Okay I’m sorry I misread your post. Your saying she didn’t take much up in bypass. Where as mine is opposite. I apologize. Well, we will see how this goes in reference to the 450cm. Oh and congratulations on your weight loss. That is awesome! I can’t wait myself.

Edited by kopekat7308