Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating a ton pre-surgery

I’m 1.5 weeks out and my surgeon doesn’t require a liquid diet pre-surgery. I have eaten so much today. More than I have in a long time. Anyone else go through this? Is this a “food funeral”?

Edited by ElseeG

In the few months before surgery I fit in all my favorite foods from all my favorite restaurants. But I will say that I promised myself not to think of it as a food funeral because one day I’d eat these things again, but in moderation.
All I know now is my taste buds have changed tremendously. I don’t crave hardly anything anymore. I don’t think of food in between meals. Now, this could change but I don’t miss the things I loved before.

Thanks! I went to my favorite middle eastern restaurant and loved every second of it! And paired it with a favorite wine. Tomorrow is another day....

Edited by ElseeG

He may not require a liquid diet, but physically there is a chance that anatomy wise your liver could be in the way of your stomach when they go to do the surgery.

If you have not watched a video of your procedure, you should.

I would nip this behavior in the bud pronto.

You need to stop this behavior immediately. This can affect you getting your surgery. If there is too much fat around your liver, your surgery will be post-oped for a later date.

Lets be honest, we all have done our food funeral. I did mines the day before I started my 2 week liquid diet. I ate Burger King, Red Lobster, Applebees. Then I went at it on my diet.

I think you should really buckle down now and get serious.

Else’s, I think you are having normal cravings but...

My surgeon does not require pre surgery liquid diet but nutritionist made it clear that he has refused surgery to those who regain. On the way out of our pre surgery meeting he said I should try to lose 5 more pounds because it helps surgery. I took this to mean, don’t go crazy! Plus I look at every pound down now gives me a head start. I have been told that the more you lose pre surgery is positively correlated with post surgery loss.

I have stuck to the diet that I have been on because this is the new me. At my pre surgery physical I lost 3 more pounds so I am happy. That was a week ago and I have starting a new 20 minute workout each morning so feeling good about that.

I have thought about jelly Beans and those Easter Reese’s but haven’t fallen to temptation yet. Thinking Lent is a good time to prepare for surgery. Prayer and support of friends helps. I am overwhelmed with the positive responses of those I’ve told❤️😊

Elsee, just get back on track today. You can do it 👍🏼😊

So wow. Just wow. I would urge you to get your head in the game.

I just watched Big Ward on Netflix and they almost had to cancel this woman's surgery cuz her liver was enormous. She was on her "diet" and losing weight cuz she was so fat, but she was still secretly binging on tons of carbs and sugar. And her liver was so big the doc had no space to do her surgery.

48 minutes ago, Francess said:

Else’s, I think you are having normal cravings but...

My surgeon does not require pre surgery liquid diet but nutritionist made it clear that he has refused surgery to those who regain. On the way out of our pre surgery meeting he said I should try to lose 5 more pounds because it helps surgery. I took this to mean, don’t go crazy! Plus I look at every pound down now gives me a head start. I have been told that the more you lose pre surgery is positively correlated with post surgery loss.

I have stuck to the diet that I have been on because this is the new me. At my pre surgery physical I lost 3 more pounds so I am happy. That was a week ago and I have starting a new 20 minute workout each morning so feeling good about that.

I have thought about jelly Beans and those Easter Reese’s but haven’t fallen to temptation yet. Thinking Lent is a good time to prepare for surgery. Prayer and support of friends helps. I am overwhelmed with the positive responses of those I’ve told❤️😊

Elsee, just get back on track today. You can do it 👍🏼😊

Thanks for the talking to, everyone. I’ve been really good for the last week, but yesterday was bad. I had a plate of sautéed spinach, chickpea salad and a piece of sweet potato and spinach salad. I guess it wasn’t the worst thing ingredient wise, but it pushed me over my calorie limit for the day.

Back to my tracker today.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by ElseeG

Good for you!

I find it funny that a “bad” day for me now is really not that bad. Matter of fact it’s better than what I would have eaten before this journey began.

keep up the good work😊