Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Timeline from approval to surgery

Had my final weigh in today and my documents will be sent to Cigna for review next week. I was told I would be called within 3 weeks to hear if I was approved and that surgery will happen in about 2 to 3 months after that. I’m a little bummed that after my 4 plus months of waiting to submit my insurance documentation that I would have to wait another 2-3 months. How long from submitting your insurance requirements for approval to your surgery date did you have to wait? Does 2-3 months sound like an excessive wait after approval or is that average?

Every surgeon and hospital is different. I had my last appointment yesterday (tues) and they’re submitting to insurance today. I had a 6 month requirement by my insurance

Once approved, their office only schedules 2-3 weeks out. They have to book the OR time they have coming up before they can book further out. Everyone’s different but I’m hoping for surgery at the end of the month

Edited by Jerseygirl4523

I had to do a 6 month preop diet. Then I submitted my results from that I think I lost a total of 16 pounds on the diet that whole time. Then I heard back from insurance literally within two months of submitting and then I was scheduled two months after that sorta. So I got the call in September and I got the surgery in November. Don’t stress yourself out on having to wait. It’ll happen it just takes time. But try and focus on other things. I tried increasing my workouts or picking up extra shifts so that way I didn’t think about it. Are you getting the bypass or sleeve? Or have you not chosen yet?

Took three weeks for my doctor to submit and then one week (5 business days) for Cigna to approve. Now I wait to schedule a pre op appointment to get my date

HW: 240
GW: 150

It usually depends on the insurance and surgeon. I had my lap-band removed. It was 1-2 weeks to get approval from insurance....I called almost every day. Then once the surgeons office got the call they scheduled me for 5 weeks out and that was their first available. I am assuming it will probably be the same with the approval process for the sleeve. I finish up the insurance requirements for that at the beginning of May, so I'm hoping my sleeve surgery will be late June-early July.