Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Days Post-Op Gastric Sleeve and Totally Regretting it

I wish I could say I'm doing better, but I noticed on Wednesday that I basically stopped peeing. I'm drinking 64 ounces a day so I should be peeing a lot. I was only going once a day. I called my surgeon's office Friday morning, but they don't see patients on M, W, or F because he's in surgery so they told me to go to the ER. I did and it turns out I have a bad bladder infection, probably from the catheter I had while in the hospital. So they put me on an antibiotic and now the diarrhea is back :(

Ahhh. Sorry for the multiple replies! This website is wonky for me on my iPad.

Dang! So sorry for the diahrea (go to the drugstore). Or call the doc about that. They have a drug called Lamotil that can help stop the trots from antibiotics. Maybe immodium does the same thing. But so glad you're treating your bladder infection!!!

6 minutes ago, Arabian78 said:

I wish I could say I'm doing better, but I noticed on Wednesday that I basically stopped peeing. I'm drinking 64 ounces a day so I should be peeing a lot. I was only going once a day. I called my surgeon's office Friday morning, but they don't see patients on M, W, or F because he's in surgery so they told me to go to the ER. I did and it turns out I have a bad bladder infection, probably from the catheter I had while in the hospital. So they put me on an antibiotic and now the diarrhea is back :(

Wow, you really just cant catch a break! :( The good news is that antibiotics work well for UTIs, and coupled with your Probiotics, things may be OK soon.

3 minutes ago, Arabian78 said:

Ahhh. Sorry for the multiple replies! This website is wonky for me on my iPad.

I have problems when I use my ipad, too!

On 3/9/2018 at 7:07 AM, Arabian78 said:

I had a sleeve done on Feb. 26th. I came home 3 days later. Once I was home and off my pain meds, I started with diarrhea all day long. The diluted Gatorade that I drank all day just ran right through me. Because of this, I was not well when I went in for my one-week post-op appointment. I had a really low blood pressure and really high heart rate. My doctor said it was because I was dehydrated from all the diarrhea. He did not approve me to move onto Protein Shakes or my Vitamins, and I was not approved to go back to work. He wanted me to stop my blood pressure meds and to just keep sticking with diluted Gatorade and broth. I wasn't to see him 2 days later (which was yesterday).

Yesterday, my blood pressure is still low, heart rate is still high. I still have diarrhea all the time. I'm still not allowed to go back to work. I'm a teacher and I really can't take anymore time off. I've had IBS my whole life so I was always worried about that before having this surgery, but my surgeon said I would be fine. Its only going to be worse when I start the Protein shakes as they made me sick before the surgery. I wish I never did this. I feel like I'm never going to be able to go back to work (we only get 7 sick days a year so all of this time is unpaid) or leave the house again because of the diarrhea. Will this get better?

Your doctor should have you follow up with the Cardiologist. It is called Tachycardia which does happen when you are dehydrated especially if you already had heart issues or high risk. I have it and I know how you feel. I was in the ER several times because mine would make me feel like I would pass out and my heart rate was well up to 150-170 (resting). While in ER they gave me IV fluids which helped tremendously and the cardiologist put me on Beta blockers.

Not sure why they will not allow you to have Protein as it is also essential for healing. I used Unjury chicken flavored protein when I first came home and added it to my broths and cream Soup. Do you think it could be the Gatorade causing the diarrhea? Maybe try to dilute a different juice you can tolerate.

After surgery our tummy changes and what it could tolerate before it may not after. After surgery I could only drink diluted apple juice, sugar free Popsicle, and no sugar added hot coco. (Now Apple juice runs threw me)

Listen to your doctor of course but also listen to your body telling you what it likes and doesn't like. Keep yourself as hydrated as possible.

If you can I would have them test for dehydration and give you fluids if needed.

I know it's hard to be off work but you don't want your heart to start racing and you pass out in front of your students. Hydrate all day. I promise you it will get better. My body took some time to heal and I didn't rush to eat. I stayed on cream of chicken soup with protein for a long time.