Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6'1 260lbs High BP Candidate?

1 hour ago, aNYCdb said:

Well insurance usually only covers you if you are morbidly obese, meaning you have either a BMI of 40+ or a BMI of 35+ with two or more co-morbidities. If you are self paying I think you shouldn't have a problem getting a surgeon to do the surgery (I think they generally expect a BMI of 32+).

That reply was in response to another reply that said with my weight/height I was 40 something percent BMI. All of the online calculators didn't show that for me. She retracted her reply after I commented. Sorry for the confusion.

48 minutes ago, madhattr said:

That reply was in response to another reply that said with my weight/height I was 40 something percent BMI. All of the online calculators didn't show that for me. She retracted her reply after I commented. Sorry for the confusion.

I was responding to your original post. At 6' 1" and 260 your BMI is 34.3 which will make it difficult to get insurance approval (esp if that's your starting weight during the process).

I was responding to your original post. At 6' 1" and 260 your BMI is 34.3 which will make it difficult to get insurance approval (esp if that's your starting weight during the process).

Starting weight was 269 lbs., 5"11 1/2 at the initial consult. I believe that should put me right at 35.9 BMI. They told me not to do below 258 to make sure I stayed above the 35 BMI number. Now we get to do a sleep study due to my weird rotating shift and a psych eval was scheduled in a couple weeks. I have done nutritional classes to take and 6 office visits. Seems like the ball is rolling. I have the 6 month waiting period for my insurance. My first visit was on March 30th. Not sure when I should be looking at for a ballpark surgery date. I'm hoping possibly late October or November.

I'm on the 6 month track but I am very short like 5'3.5 and have diabetes and sleep apnea. So good on you for getting your health in order. I'm just trying to do this while I'm in my 20s so I don't spend my 30s as miserable as I spent the last 5 years

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, madhattr said:

Starting weight was 269 lbs., 5"11 1/2 at the initial consult. I believe that should put me right at 35.9 BMI. They told me not to do below 258 to make sure I stayed above the 35 BMI number. Now we get to do a sleep study due to my weird rotating shift and a psych eval was scheduled in a couple weeks. I have done nutritional classes to take and 6 office visits. Seems like the ball is rolling. I have the 6 month waiting period for my insurance. My first visit was on March 30th. Not sure when I should be looking at for a ballpark surgery date. I'm hoping possibly late October or November.

Well that's a different story. What a difference 9 pounds and 1 1/2" makes. Just make sure to let the nutritionists know about the fact that you aren't supposed to lose much weight. Depending on the program they can hold you back if you aren't doing what they tell you to (make sure whatever you put down on their sheets makes it sound like you are living healthy).

Madhattr have you considered endoscopic sleeve gastroplexy? They often do it on people below 35BMI at least that is what I've been told. Not sure whether it would give you,the results you seek but might check into it.[emoji6]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, aNYCdb said:

Well that's a different story. What a difference 9 pounds and 1 1/2" makes. Just make sure to let the nutritionists know about the fact that you aren't supposed to lose much weight. Depending on the program they can hold you back if you aren't doing what they tell you to (make sure whatever you put down on their sheets makes it sound like you are living healthy).

The height threw me off. I had just done a bio-metric screening for work a couple weeks ago and she said 6'1 and 260. I didn't give the real tall stretch when she was measuring. I did wear heavier clothing for this first appointment and keys in the pocket for this first visit. I have to log my food for the next 6 visits and take some nutritional courses/tests online. The nutritionist told me I definitely have to stay above 258 lbs. to stay within the requirements. I hope everything goes as planned.

4 minutes ago, madhattr said:

The height threw me off. I had just done a bio-metric screening for work a couple weeks ago and she said 6'1 and 260. I didn't give the real tall stretch when she was measuring. I did wear heavier clothing for this first appointment and keys in the pocket for this first visit. I have to log my food for the next 6 visits and take some nutritional courses/tests online. The nutritionist told me I definitely have to stay above 258 lbs. to stay within the requirements. I hope everything goes as planned.

I just meant that you have to thread the needle a little bit when it comes to the nutritionists, whereby they think you are eating healthier but that you aren't actually losing weight. I ran into that issue and basically took a week on plan week off plan approach to maintaining at the 35.5-36 BMI level (and maybe a couple rolls of pennys in my pocket for my last weigh in).

Edited by aNYCdb

9 minutes ago, aNYCdb said:

I just meant that you have to thread the needle a little bit when it comes to the nutritionists, whereby they think you are eating healthier but that you aren't actually losing weight. I ran into that issue and basically took a week on plan week off plan approach to maintaining at the 35.5-36 BMI level.

Yes. The clinic has befriended me on MyFitnessPal so I just have to log there. I have not changed much in the diet yet. I am going to slowly work on removing caffeine, sodas and some smaller other things. It is a fine line. It makes me nervous. I don't want to fall too low because weight is still an issue for me. I definitely don't want to gain. I fluctuate all over in this weight range. I could go to Mexico to get it done if absolutely necessary, but would rather insurance pick it up if at all possible. With Mexico, it would be a quick process. We would be looking at June and done. Insurance in the states is probably more like 6-8 months and stay within the guidelines. But, 7-8k saved and in my pocket and can get follow up care locally, if needed.

Edited by madhattr

Madhattr have you considered endoscopic sleeve gastroplexy? They often do it on people below 35BMI at least that is what I've been told. Not sure whether it would give you,the results you seek but might check into it.[emoji6]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't think the clinic I'm at offers anything other than gastric and sleeve. Mexico offered the MGB, but if I can get insurance to cover, I would rather go that route. Gastric seems to have more cons for me than sleeve.