Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Favorite things you can do now that you couldn't before, or things you're looking forward to doing?

And another thing clothes related... I want to be able to buy all those super geeky cute t-shirts for my fandoms, and NOT have to buy the boxy men's versions because they don't make the nice girly ones in my size.

https://www.snorgtees.com/t-shirts/geek-nerd

I can totally relate to so many of these!

At the top of my list is general improvement in health, less pain, and simply feeling better...not struggling to get out of bed and get moving every day. I’d love to be able to either take less meds or get off them entirely! In addition to that, I’m looking forward to being more active in general. Currently, I have to say no way too often, or cancel plans due to health issues flaring up.

I have a couple of non health related things that I’m looking forward to as well.

-Wearing boots (can’t even wear most wide width ones now due to large calves)
-Enjoying clothes shopping and not hating how I look in everything I wear
-Not hiding from the camera and cringing when someone posts a group photo on social media that makes me look like the Goodyear blimp! (Also, not having to hold my phone up high to take a selfie to minimize my double chin...lol)
-Already did a separate post about seatbelt extenders on flights, but I’ll add to that not being self conscious and feeling humiliated in general when it comes to trying to fit in smaller spaces in public. (Booths in restaurants, theater seats, sports events etc.)

I’m sure this list could go on and on, but these are some of my most important why’s.

OMG how did i forget the booths. I have been saying table only for so long it is automatic and i still do it even today when i could fit in a booth. i cant believe how ingrained that is. i didnt even realize it till i read the post above. Dam. Its funny the little things that sit you back on your heels.

23 hours ago, allwet said:

know this feeling but in reverse. I never got my ring resized up instead it just went in a drawer in the dresser. The day i put it back on for the first time in many years was more emotional than i care to admit.

I bought a Jade wedding band in 1997 a year after I had heart bypass surgery and lost 50 lbs. As I've stated before by 2000 I gained the weight back and then some. Today I'm wearing my Jade wedding band and God willing I'll never have to put it back in a drawer because It won't fit.

Can't wait to fit into my White House Black Market size 8s again....and then hopefully a few months later be too small for them ;)

Also can't wait for the day BF picks me up and I don't immediately cringe and say "PUT ME DOWN DARNIT" because I'm self conscious...

Can't wait to buy a bra from Victoria's Secret again...or just any bra without the thickest straps in America. Sheesh.

#1 THING I LOOK FORWARD TO: CLOTHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can luckily afford designer clothing, but even if they made it my size (and they don't) I wouldn't wanna buy it or waste money on it because it will never look good on my fat body (personal opinion but I feel safe here knowing HAES people wouldn't be in WLS forums lol). So, yes, maybe shallow, but designer clothing.

I also really love trendy pieces and small boutiques but those usually only make clothes up to a size 10 US, and to be honest.. who blames them, no one wants to use up huge amounts of expensive fabric only to cater to big sizes lol.

Also.. OVERSIZED or CHUNKY clothing! I've always loved it, but in order to make myself slimmer, I try to dress in the most flattering outfits possible and those are usually pretty tailored at certain places of the body (i.e. waist so I don't look like a sack of potatoes).

Oh, and yeah, not getting diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol, would be nice too.

Also, I love love hiking and walking but my feet hurt sooooo much because of my weight, would be nice to not need a week to recover after long (5-7 hour) walks.

I'm really looking forward to donating clothes. Whenever I lost weight I'd be too paranoid to throw out the bigger sizes, even though when I did regain the clothes weren't fashionable anymore. So now I want to try things on, realize they're too big, and place them directly in the donation bin rather than saving them just in case. That also means I won't have to deal with the morning ritual of trying on everything in my closet to try and find the one combo that's event-appropriate and also fits, leaving a pile of clothing in my wake.

I have been doing this with great joy!! Only 8 weeks, and I’ve donated 6 large bags of clothes.

Carla from LV

All of the above plus going into the Harley Davidson store and actually buy the really cute womens shirts instead of only fitting in the mens t-shirts. So excited to shop!!!:489_motorcycle:

15 hours ago, allwet said:

OMG how did i forget the booths. I have been saying table only for so long it is automatic and i still do it even today when i could fit in a booth. i cant believe how ingrained that is. i didnt even realize it till i read the post above. Dam. Its funny the little things that sit you back on your heels.

I’ve been asking for booths obsessively since the surgery because we always had to ask for a table and now I’m like “f*ck yes I want a booth!” But we still can’t get one when we eat out with my parents because my dad won’t fit, and my wife is pretty close to not being able to fit her baby bump into one.

Edited by abefroman329

On 3/8/2018 at 4:42 PM, GayGirlLivingForHer said:

I'd also like to make another trip to New Zealand but more comfortably. Last time I was so cramped and embarrassed. I thought I could just not wear a seat belt and they wouldn't notice but the flight attendant came around checking. He looked at me and was not discreet at all. He hollered across the dang plane to tell another flight attendant that I needed a seat belt extender and pointed at me. I don't think I could have felt worse...

Sent from my SM-J327P using BariatricPal mobile app

That’s just awful. When I was at my heaviest, they would either discreetly hand me one or I’d have to ask for it. The latter was embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as what you were subjected to.

One interesting thing I learned about airline seat belts: They start out really long when the plane is new and, as they start to fray or have some other problem with the belt part, they just chop off the problematic part and reattach the buckle further down, shortening the belt. So there’s really no way to tell in advance how long a particular seat belt will be before you sit down in the seat. Unfortunately, that also meant that all those times I was like “I must be losing weight because this seat belt fits comfortably!” were probably incorrect

Nice to have all that behind me, though.

I have a regulation Ohio State jacket size 18 hanging up. Not the cheap discount store knock-off. Make you a promise when I can fit it I will post the picture on Bariatric Pal even if it is the height of summer. Also I want a Columbus Crew t shirt. Before Anthony Precourt makes good on his threat to move the Soccer Club to Austin Texas. The biggest I've seen so far is a L, got any idea long ago,I was a L? ,,,. Clue: Hector was a pup and that dog's so old he don't hunt no more! ................Bahdump dump dump.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

On 3/8/2018 at 1:41 PM, GeekSweetheart said:

Hi all, I'm getting sleeved on 3/19 and one of the things I've been doing is compiling a list of things I'm looking forward to doing that I can't do now, to keep me motivated once I start losing. I'd love to hear the things that you're excited to do, or for those of you who are already sleeved, that you can do now! I've been over 300 since the age of 19 (I'm 40 now) so there is a lot I have never been able to do. Some examples from my list:

-wearing boots

-camping

-going to Disneyland (we are planning this for 2019)

-ice skating

-flying and driving comfortably

-shopping at thrift stores (you can never find good supersize clothes at thrift shops)

Share some of yours! Thanks in advance! :)

OMG! After years of big calves I finally found boots that fit them last year. How about now that I have lost weight they are all floppy and too big now? DOH!

Wear a bikini. Even when I had a bikini body I was too shy. When I get back there this time I AM WEARING THE DANGGONE BIKINI!!

Get back into all of my high heel shoes.

Wear slutty dresses :D

Sky dive. I promised my mom we would (she really wanted to, I was scared!) and she passed away three months later, and I want to do it in her honor.

Get a breast lift, Tummy Tuck and butt contouring

One thing I am glad that's over is getting up and having all these aches and pains in my legs and feet because I was carrying too much weight.

My left ankle isn't on perm swole status anymore AND I have ankles again, not cankles!

Being able to slide into resturant booths instead of a table and chair, trying out furniture in a store and not having to ask for help getting back up, being allowed to sit on relatives furniture without them bringing in an old wood chair from the back porch, (yeah it really happened) being able to kneel and get back up at church without grabbing the pew in front, finding clothes in pretty colors instead of the ugly poorly cut ones I find in my local store's miniscule plus size department. Sometimes to fit the rest of me they gape at the neck. I have to wear a t-shirt underneath or expose the "girls" to the breeze. Find fitting slacks that don't ride up in the back and give me a wedgie. No longer buying Granny Panties and Industrial strength bras. Finding them in colors and prints instead of stark white. If I tried to get intimate with someone they'd laugh at my undies, and if by chance we got that far the size of my panties is so big when he tossed them they'd land over top of my lamp and obscure it. Of course the dark might be a good thing. Having my body not glow in the moonlight like an airport beacon. Being identified by my name instead of That fat woman with the red hair. Bring able to outrun a molester or at least able to raise my leg high enough,to kick him where it counts, the best I could do now is stomp on his toes. Rollar skate without banking myself into the side rail to slow down. Going to parades and being able to stand up and watch them. Maybe someday I can March in them again! Those are a few of my hopes and wishes.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I can luckily afford designer clothing, but even if they made it my size (and they don't) I wouldn't wanna buy it or waste money on it because it will never look good on my fat body

This one is huge for me. I have high-end retail clients and it absolutely kills me to have to walk into a meeting knowing I lose points right off the bat by wearing mid-brand, quasi-tailored stuff. They can tell at a glance, and nothing says "I don't understand your business" more than showing up on their turf wearing inferior brands. I am dying to reach maintenance and then assemble two or three killer designer outfits that I can have on-hand for that sort of meeting. It just wasn't possible at pre-surgery weight.

I'm also looking forward to being able to select food based more on my body's signals rather than head hunger. Before a lot of my meal choices were either opportunistic ("I better eat this now because I won't be able to later") or comparative ("As long as I eat less than Bob I'm fine"). But with the deck cleared so thoroughly I'm really starting to figure out what my system is asking for rather than what tastes good. I would love to get to a point where I'm more regularly choosing foods based on how I want to feel physically for the next two hours instead of picking what will taste good in the next 10 minutes.