Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you throw up?

I am one week post-op and have not had any nausea nor have I vomited.

Vomiting is not normal.

I'm almost three months post op, and I've never vomited. Did have the 'foamies' somewhat regularly for the first few weeks, but rarely anymore. I do get nauseous every once in a while, but I just lay down until it passes.

What I did struggle with is bowel movements, which my doctor gave me colace for, and bariatric clinic told me to take a ducolax every weekend to clean out. I just started having BMs without having to take anything just two or three weeks ago..

On 3/7/2018 at 11:44 PM, biddynz said:

I had a bypass and have a vomiting phobia. I have not vomited once and it is NOT normal!

A couple of times I ate too much sweet thing and got ‘dumping’ - the sugar dumps into your intestine and you get nausea, sweats, heart racing - I didn’t vomit but it was close enough it has given me great aversion therapy to sweets!

My “friend” that knows of my phobia made sure that I knew today that she ate 3 bites of a corn dog and threw up. I don’t need more worry!! She had RNY last year and insists that I will get sick the first several months. Ugh. I see my dietitian again tomorrow- can’t wait to discuss this with her. Just knew you would understand my anxiety.

Megan

I’ve had a couple of episodes where clear phlegm came up from eating to fast but have never thrown up actual food. It was nauseating though & I never want to go through it again!

So you were nauseous too? ☹️

1 minute ago, MN_Meg770 said:

So you were nauseous too? ☹️

Well yeah it’s never fun to get sick but it was a result of my own behaviors. Live & learn right. Don’t let these things scare you from making a decision about surgery. Everyone is different!

Okay- I appreciate your input and advice. A couple people l know get the foamy stuff but not nauseous because there’s no bile apparently. I wish I didn’t have this phobia. I just know I want this surgery so I’m going to fight through it.

I have not puked once. I had the sleeve

1 hour ago, MN_Meg770 said:

Okay- I appreciate your input and advice. A couple people l know get the foamy stuff but not nauseous because there’s no bile apparently. I wish I didn’t have this phobia. I just know I want this surgery so I’m going to fight through it.

You’ll be fine! Again I was sick as a result of my own actions. You have control over this. I was absolutely experiencing the foamy stuff during which time I felt nauseated in respects to what was happening. Of course I didn’t feel like standing or walking until it past but that’s to be expected when feeling sick. Again I made it happen by not following instructions. You now have foresight so don’t do these things & you’ll do great! You don’t get sick like that for no reason. You got this!

7 minutes ago, Seahawks Fan said:

You’ll be fine! Again I was sick as a result of my own actions. You have control over this. I was absolutely experiencing the foamy stuff during which time I felt nauseated in respects to what was happening. Of course I didn’t feel like standing or walking until it past but that’s to be expected when feeling sick. Again I made it happen by not following instructions. You now have foresight so don’t do these things & you’ll do great! You don’t get sick like that for no reason. You got this!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!!

I did the other night after an episode of pseudo-dumping from. a piece of carrot cake with cream cheese frostning. This gastritis has changed the rules for me, I hope it goes into hibernation after my surgery. I had the symptoms others have described, guess after so long not eating anything sweet my body rebelled. I hope I'm not going to be **** on wheels afterwards. And no, I never actually get that sick, can't remember when the,last time was. What is the wise saying?

Plan for the best---

Prepare for the worst--

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi @MN_Meg770

Tonight I ate sugar-free rhubarb ‘loaf’. With yoghurt and passion fruit pulp. And I ate too fast and maybe a bit muc. - instead of giving myself a small portion, I decided to eat until full then hand over the remainder. So I ate a little more than I would have dished up. Probably ate 1/2 cup.

Now I am flat on my back with hot flushes, a light tummy pain and vague nausea but I know I won’t throw up. This is dumping - ate too fast, yoghurt and fruit have sugar. I have had one bad session where I thought I would throw up (very miserable) and this is my third ‘you have been an idiot but not criminal’ where vomiting isn’t on the horizon.

All self inflicted fails - once a month - that is one meal in 60 (breakfast doesn’t count as I have a coffee-protein shake every day) where I have screwed up. Pretty good - used to be 50/60 where I screwed up, I reckon!!)

And all the fails make me correct myself. No fruit juice, no icing/frosting, no 17g-sugar-protein-bars and now, Portion Control at serving time not eating time.

14 weeks in - no vomiting.

Edited by biddynz

On 07/03/2018 at 10:59 PM, MN_Meg770 said:

Hi all,

I’m in the process of getting approved for gastric bypass. In my materials the surgeon gave me about gastric bypass, it says “vomiting after surgery is NOT normal. Contact your surgeon’s office immediately if vomiting persists.” An acquaintance of mine that had the surgery pukes all the time and tells me about it happening when it happens. I’m terrified to throw up. Is puking normal after surgery? Does it happen often? Thanks!! Megan

So far only twice mostly because I ate too fast. Don't wait till you are hungry to eat. Just have a little something every couple of hours