Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision From Lap Band to Sleeve

My name is Whitney Williams I'm 30 years old and a past lap band patient. I had some great success with my lap band when I first had it put in. I lost a lot of weight and things were looking good then all the sudden my band slipped and I had to have surgery again to replace the band. At the time of fixing my band I was just starting out my student teaching which made it a little harder to go to regular appointments like I should have. Well now I've gained weight back and have been having a bunch of trouble with my band. It gets to tight and I have to get it adjusted or I get to sick and I can't keep stuff down. Right now I'm in the process of getting revision surgery done so I can get in better shape with my weight. I just hope this time I have a lot better luck cause keeping the band is not something that I want to do.

The hardest part in this journey for me is the insurance requirements to have the revision surgery is a pain in the butt. I would think if they can show that I've been having problems with the band already insurance would be ok but you have to show other things than just the problems I was having. Right now my band has nothing so its making the weight loss a littler harder but I'm sticking in there and can't wait to start this journey again and get in a healthier life.

I'm also going through this journey with my mom she is getting ready to have the sleeve surgery too. She's going to get to have her surgery first because I'm having to have back surgery on March 26,2018 so I have to put my surgery on the back burner until I heal from it.

Well that's a little background into my journey I wish everyone luck on their journey.

Welcome Whitney, I'm sorry to hear about your back problem. I hope everything works out well,with your surgery. Tell your mom we have several over 50 and over 60 forums on Bariatric Pal if she wants to join in. I myself am 72 and planning a RnY surgery. But I am a very good person,to talk to about any problems or questions you or she may have. You, as a teacher, are a very important person for you guide future generations. I salute you.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Whitney, you are going through it! Back surgery then sleeve surgery plus all of the issues with the band. It sounds awful. You are obviously strong to get through it on top of completing student teaching.

Best to you and your mom. 🌼

Hello All,

My name is Andre and I too have the lap band, but on the journey for a gastric sleeve. I actually had my pet class yesterday and I hope to have a surgery date in the next week or so. I have had my band for 11 years and I have certainly had great success with it. Last year it felt as though my band had opened up in my chest. It turned out to be a slip. I am excited, but a little nervous too. As of late, my doctor told me that my body was rejecting the band and I would have to do something quickly. I have gained 40 pounds since November and I am disappointed because I have been below 170 lbs for over 10 years.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Whitney,

That is so much stress! I hope that you have plenty of support and practice good self-care. Take good care of you! Find a good meditation you like and keep in on your phone.

I had Lap-Band surgery in 2007. I lost about 50 lbs but hated that thing. I'm having sleeve surgery on April 2nd.

I wish you all of the luck and peace.

Just wanted to wish you well with your back surgery March 26th[emoji106] I believe you will have a good outcome and then you'll be able. to devote your energies towards your WLS day[emoji14]

Hi Whitney,
That is so much stress! I hope that you have plenty of support and practice good self-care. Take good care of you! Find a good meditation you like and keep in on your phone.
I had Lap-Band surgery in 2007. I lost about 50 lbs but hated that thing. I'm having sleeve surgery on April 2nd.

I wish you all of the luck and peace.

Thank you so much

Well Whitney how did the spinal surgery go? You probably are feeling a little rocky, and even a little storm-swept about now. When you feel good enough let us know how you're doing,okay?
[emoji171][emoji170][emoji106][emoji173][emoji172]

Well I’ve been so busy getting ready for the back surgery I for got to update that my back surgery was moved to the 29th I will keep everyone updated