Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do you bite the bullet....

So I'm down approximately 55lbs and I am finding that I'm swimming in my clothes. Honestly, I didn't loose the weight overnight, but it was just the last two days that I woke up and put on clothes and thought to myself... I feel like my shirt is a dress and my pants are a parachute. This is probably because I went back to work this week and I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in 6 weeks. My work clothes are very very big now. I wonder also if this is why I haven't gotten much of a reaction from my coworkers. None of them have really commented on weight specifically, just that I look "good". They don't know why I was off the last six weeks, so "good" could mean "healthy" as well.

I just don't think I can muster up the courage to go try on new sizes. What if only *my* work clothes are too big. What if I go into a store and try on the next size down (from what my clothes are) and they don't fit. *GASP* I think I'd cry and never leave the dressing room. I do have A LOT of shirts in my closet that were too small from prior to surgery. I even have anxiety about trying those on right now. Does anyone have this problem?

No..quit being a chicken and get in that closet and try some stuff on.....

First off, Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment.

I can definitely relate. BUT,

It felt so rewarding to try on something in my closest that was a little tight pre surgery and fit comfortably it really gave me the satisfaction that what im doing is working. Number on the scale may not have been moving as much but the inches were coming off. It was some re assurance. I say, go for it. You will be happy you did.

Thrift stores were amazing for me during my loss period. It was like a fun treasure hunt finding things that would work for me, and when I shrunk out of the sizes, I just re-donated the items.

Try everything on you already have, it will be like a free shopping spree right in your closet! I have a question though, I am new to all of this and my surgery is not even scheduled yet, but the nurse of our group said people are generally able to be back to work in 1 week. Did you have complications to be out for 6 weeks? I don’t have that kind of benefits with my company where I could be paid for that amount of time.

Try everything on you already have, it will be like a free shopping spree right in your closet! I have a question though, I am new to all of this and my surgery is not even scheduled yet, but the nurse of our group said people are generally able to be back to work in 1 week. Did you have complications to be out for 6 weeks? I don’t have that kind of benefits with my company where I could be paid for that amount of time.

Hi. It really depends on how you feel after surgery. My surgeon said that it’s 50/50 - those who have an easy experience and those who don’t. For me, I had an easy experience but week 3 hit me like a ton of bricks. I was beyond exhausted. You may find one week is not enough yet you are able to return before six weeks. It just depends on your outcome and how you do with diet progression. [emoji255]

I only wish I had this problem. My clothes are nowhere near what you are experiencing. You should be proud and excited. Once you put on clothes that actually fit everyone will notice. It will be the most amazing feeling ever so be prepared!!

I feel like I had the most reaction when I purchased a few pants and shirts that fit better-you can see the weight loss better. I would recommend though that you only buy a few as hopefully you lose more quickly and you need to go shopping again :)

Start with your closet! Even if they don’t fit perfectly yet I’m sure you will be able to see that they fit better than they diss!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 175
CW 191.4
5’6”

Try on your clothes that you think are too small - if they don't fit, make fitting into them your goal! I used to sell LuLaRoe, and I saved a few "too small" items when I went out of business. Now I am wearing them - and some are even too big now! It's the best feeling.

I'm struggling with clothes, too. I have lost 95 lbs, but I think my body has changed sizes more in this last 25 than in the 70 prior. My stuff looks pretty baggy now. I am actually signing up for a personal stylist, so I can get a few new pieces that fit every month. I have a professional job, so I can't wear my baggy stuff for too long!

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, Deb100 said:

Its a great question. I took FMLA, Family and Medical Leave Act. Which protects my job during my leave. My company also pays for us to have 3 months per calendar year of short term disability. Therefore, FMLA was job security, and my short term disability paid for my time off. So I was fortunate to not have to worry about my recovery period. Anyway, I was in the hospital longer than most, 5 days. I had a small complication where my bowels didn't wake up right away. Which means that I couldn't pass gas. It caused my extended stay. But my surgeon's office was pretty clear that they want their patients taking minimum of 4 weeks off after surgery. 4-6 weeks is standard for their office. Your stomach is not fully healed until 6 weeks. And boy, am I glad I did! My energy level didn't return until about 5 weeks post op.

20 hours ago, mamamc32 said:

Try on your clothes that you think are too small - if they don't fit, make fitting into them your goal! I used to sell LuLaRoe, and I saved a few "too small" items when I went out of business. Now I am wearing them - and some are even too big now! It's the best feeling.

I'm struggling with clothes, too. I have lost 95 lbs, but I think my body has changed sizes more in this last 25 than in the 70 prior. My stuff looks pretty baggy now. I am actually signing up for a personal stylist, so I can get a few new pieces that fit every month. I have a professional job, so I can't wear my baggy stuff for too long!

I have quite a bit of stuff that I held onto that was way too small. Just mostly shirts, not a lot of pants. I have gradually been getting into them. The last two days, in fact, I grabbed shirts I had bought probably a year ago or more that still have tags on them. I bought them, they were too small and never returned them. So it is very much like shopping in my own closet. But I don't have this option with pants. I ordered some last night. I hope they fit and I guessed the right size.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, lindsayAK said:

I only wish I had this problem. My clothes are nowhere near what you are experiencing. You should be proud and excited. Once you put on clothes that actually fit everyone will notice. It will be the most amazing feeling ever so be prepared!!

I have a feeling that this is why I'm not getting the reaction I was hoping for from friends and coworkers. My clothes are so baggy right now. I'm masking my true size. I did order some pants last night. I wasn't brave enough to go try any on in the store, but its baby steps.

I just went on a shopping spree in ClosetLand (owned by FluffyChix) a couple of days ago! LOL. I folded all my "big girl pants" and put them in a bag to take to GoodWill this weekend. And I found about 6 pairs of pants that will take me through another 20lbs maybe more? They're a loose 20, but beats sh*t out of my 26-30s!!! Wooot! (But I will keep my magic pants until I'm a little below 200, then they will go the graveyard in the sky since they're about 15 years old!) LOL.

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

I just went on a shopping spree in ClosetLand (owned by FluffyChix) a couple of days ago! LOL. I folded all my "big girl pants" and put them in a bag to take to GoodWill this weekend. And I found about 6 pairs of pants that will take me through another 20lbs maybe more? They're a loose 20, but beats sh*t out of my 26-30s!!! Wooot! (But I will keep my magic pants until I'm a little below 200, then they will go the graveyard in the sky since they're about 15 years old!) LOL.

I was wearing a 24/26 prior to my pre op diet. When I came back to work, I put on my size 22 dress pants, and they have a pretty large gap. I'm not sure what size I am now, but I ordered 18's yesterday. I hope they fit. But I'm going to stay positive and say that if they don't right away, THEY WILL SOON!