Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be careful and read the label!!! I was surprised how many carbs are in the TJ Cauliflower crust! They add corn flour, corn starch and potato starch! Most of the home made recipies have just cauliflower and cheese, so far lower in carbs

IMG_6490.JPG.7399242a64785d978de8611ea58fc889.JPG

Do you happen to know how many carbs a day one should have?

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

Everyone’s plan is different and some don’t limit them at all, so I can’t say for everyone. But for me personally when I was losing I tried to eat less than 30 a day total and most of those came from dairy.

It greatly depends on your current weight, weight and body type goals, activity level, etc. Your dietician would probably be most helpful.

Personally, I track but not really limit my carbs because I do 10 intense work outs a week and the majority come from ancient grains, oatmeal, and dried berries. As long as I’m within my calorie limit and (usually) have Protein first, the sky is the limit but that’s what works for me. I cannot do my workouts without carbs or I quite literally pass out and recover more slowly.

I run 25-40 miles per week and do 4-5 hours of intense yoga and have since about 6 months post op. I did it at a very low carb level, so while it’s not for everyone, know it can be done. Your body can adapt to fat burning for exercise instead of carb burning. So @katiebruin has found what works for her but strenuous workouts don’t necessarily mean you NEED the carbs. Pg

I run 25-40 miles per week and do 4-5 hours of intense yoga and have since about 6 months post op. I did it at a very low carb level, so while it’s not for everyone, know it can be done. Your body can adapt to fat burning for exercise instead of carb burning. So @katiebruin has found what works for her but strenuous workouts don’t necessarily mean you NEED the carbs. Pg

100%. Keto totally works for some people but not others. You definitely need to keep track of cholesterol and triglycerides and probably other things I can’t think of since it’s so fat focused. I have lots of friends who do heavy, heavy crossfit on Keto and are doing amazing!!

Removed cuz I'm in Crank Town today for some unknown reason.

I'm being placed in the appropriate pizza-free-time-out-zone.

Edited by FluffyChix

100%. Keto totally works for some people but not others. You definitely need to keep track of cholesterol and triglycerides and probably other things I can’t think of since it’s so fat focused. I have lots of friends who do heavy, heavy crossfit on Keto and are doing amazing!!

I gosh I don’tdo Keto! Just lower carb. I didn’t do it during the loss phase or now at maintenance. Way to hard to maintain the chemistry of keto... and the fat.

I can assure you, [mention=194772]jess9395[/mention]'s lipids are probably gorgeous and perfect. I bet her triglycerides are way less than 100 which would mean that any HDL/LDL are the healthy fluffy, heart protective kind. Please read Phinney and Volek's The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance.
Keto diet is not "so fat focused." Gah!!!!!! The misinformation about this lifestyle (one of the healthiest out there) is ridic!!!

Awww thanks (blush).

Keto is too high maintenance for me. I have always done very low carb to low carb and I don’t worry about fat, don’t track it don’t eat low fat versions of things.

Yes my triglycerides are low (can’t remember offhand but definitely under 100) and while my total cholesterol is “high” (in the 240’s usually) the ratio is, according to my doc, the best he’s ever seen. My “good” cholesterol (LDL) is 3x my “bad” cholesterol (HDL).

12 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Awww thanks (blush).

Keto is too high maintenance for me. I have always done very low carb to low carb and I don’t worry about fat, don’t track it don’t eat low fat versions of things.

Yes my triglycerides are low (can’t remember offhand but definitely under 100) and while my total cholesterol is “high” (in the 240’s usually) the ratio is, according to my doc, the best he’s ever seen. My “good” cholesterol (LDL) is 3x my “bad” cholesterol (HDL).

Yep. All the low carb docs agree that when the tris are at or below 100, then almost to a certainty, your lipid ratios will be gorgeous and so healthy!

Sorry for butting in...I studied this stuff (the science of low carb/fats etc) for about 18 years now at the feet of some of the most ground-breaking docs in metabolic medicine. And the misconceptions about this type of eating just sometimes really gets to me. And what the means, irrelevently is that it makes me a super educated low carb asshat today. :( Sigh. Ok, note to self: Quit acting like a douc*e today! Sigh. :(

Edited by FluffyChix

I seem to eat pretty similarly to jess9395. Lower carb, but not hardcore anti-carb or anything. It's not really that hard if you can just avoid breads, potatoes, rice, and unnecessary sugar. Some people are probably laughing, because the default diet these days is so heavy on those four things. But there's really a pretty wide world of meats, veggies, etc. that work for this diet, so it's easy enough to get used to doing.

Yep. All the low carb docs agree that when the tris are at or below 100, then almost to a certainty, your lipid ratios will be gorgeous and so healthy!

Sorry for butting in...I studied this stuff (the science of low carb/fats etc) for about 18 years now at the feet of some of the most ground-breaking docs in metabolic medicine. And the misconceptions about this type of eating just sometimes really gets to me. And what the means, irrelevently is that it makes me a super educated low carb asshat today. Sigh. Ok, note to self: Quit acting like a douc*e today! Sigh.

Sharing knowledge is always appreciated!!!

I will have to pull out my number again because now I’m curious, I was saying from memory and that’s always messy... but I know my “good” was very high and that’s what bumped my total cholesterol into the high range! So I think I may have gotten the initials backward (HDL/LDL) But I have done some reading about the types even of “good” and “bad” and it’s definitely not as simple as we’d like to make it out to be