Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seniors and Baby Boomers

Are there seniors and Baby Boomers who have had Gastric Bypass Surgery at this stage of their life? Any age related complications? Or not?

Are there seniors and Baby Boomers who have had Gastric Bypass Surgery at this stage of their life? Any age related complications? Or not?

No complications. Except for one: WEIGHT- LOSS. Lol
Age 54. Surgery Date: Nov. 1 2017
HW: 299
Today: 230
69 pound loss
Not bad for 4 months out [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 69 years old and had the surgery 5 years ago. No complications but rather just that opposite. I am now off all (5) of my prescription medicines. I also have dramatically improved stamina (the ability to perform physical labor).

I am 66 and weighed 248 on my surgery date of April 20, 2017. At that time I was on medicine for severe acid reflux and asthma as well as sleep apnea and was on the doorstep of diabetes. I used three medicines daily for my asthma and always had a rescue inhaler in my pocket. It has beed 10 1/2 months now and my weight is 135. That is 113 pounds so far. I am off the cpap machine and ALL medicine since last April 29. I cant tell you how good I feel. I didnt feel this good in my 40’s. I have had no pain or any complications along the way and I thank God for giving me another chance at life. I took my grandchildren to Legoland and never sat on the bench all day and actually rode with them for the first time. If you are on the fence about having surgery I ask uou to say a prayer and JUMP. Life is there again on the other side. Real life. Good luck.

55 at time of surgery (August 2016)

I'm bone on bone in both knees and had the surgery because my orthopedic surgeon wanted my BMI under 35 before he replaced my knees to limit complications. Highest recorded BMI was 49. Looking at older photos, I'm pretty sure there were points I was over 300 pounds and I'm 5'3".

Complications - I'm down to once every 4 weeks for an asthma injectable and have seriously decreased the doses of all other asthma meds. (Haven't had an attack since surgery, either.) I don't take narcotics for arthritis pain any more.

I am more active - I'm in the gym 4 hours a week and fence (as in en garde) another 5 hours a week.

The biggest complication - I've had to buy a new wardrobe because even the skinny clothes at the back of my closet were too big. I've gone from barely fitting in a 24 to a size 8 headed toward a six.

My orthopedic surgeon thinks I can probably get to 65 without having my knees done. The only time I need something more than Tylenol for my knees is after fencing in a tournament with younger fencers (as in kids I could have given birth to young).

One of the gals getting sleeved the same day I was....was in her 60's. She was tougher and did better than the other girl in her 30's. We roamed the halls together a bit:)

I am 63 and New here, about to turn my sleeve into a bypass. So any suggestions welcomed. I was 58 for the sleeve and it was relatively easy. I’m hoping for similar success with the bypass!

got my surgery on my 51st birthday and it was the best present i have ever received bar none.

No complications. Except for one: WEIGHT- LOSS. Lol
Age 54. Surgery Date: Nov. 1 2017
HW: 299
Today: 230
69 pound loss
Not bad for 4 months out [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

That is great. Keep up the great work.