Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 hours ago, janet5263 said:

Any recommendations about Protein Shakes?

If you have access to ISOWHEY (in bulk or in single serves), use it.

Unjury makes the best chocolate Protein that I've ever had. It's a bit pricey, but the quality is worth it. I use a more run of the mill protein from Body Fortress as my cheaper go-to option. You can at least buy single serve packets from Unjury's website to sample the flavors before dropping the money on a tub of something you don't like.

There are many different types of formulations on Protein Shakes. I would recommend that you keep experimenting until you find one that you can tolerate. You don't have to like it, just tolerate it. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) Protein Shake powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure.

I like Premier, Boost glucose control and now enjoying Slimfast Advanced.

I used Premier Protein before but now I can't not like the flavor... Idk :(

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

they all dry my mouth out, so nasty

before my surgery i went a year without using sugar. it eventually changed my tastebuds to the point where i just tried to avoid anything sweet. now with all these shakes, these are so sweet i dont want to take them.

any suggestions?

17 hours ago, kennyranking said:

they all dry my mouth out, so nasty

before my surgery i went a year without using sugar. it eventually changed my tastebuds to the point where i just tried to avoid anything sweet. now with all these shakes, these are so sweet i dont want to take them.

any suggestions?

OH geeze! I can SO relate. I'm not a sweet girl, and have been mostly low carb for years, so all the sweet Liquid Protein wore me down over time. LOL. I find now, that I tolerate Premier Protein in decaff used as a Creamer. I also tolerate smoothies when they have Peanut Butter powder and blueberries and spinach, cuz it cuts the sweet. Otherwise, I put unflavored in different things like broth, and in anything I can hide it in! LOL.

I'd highly recommend GENEPRO. It's pretty expensive but, it is worth it 100%. On Amazon it is $47 for 47 servings. BUT the key is that the scoop amount is so much smaller, approx. 2 tablespoons for 30grams of Protein. I found that when I was only a few weeks post op, I couldn't consume that much liquid. So when I went to mix in unflavored Protein Powder, the amount of powder wouldn't mix in right. It would be chunky or "grainy". With Genepro, I could still get in my protein requirements with less powder and less liquid. Plus it mixes well with hot and cold liquids.

I'd highly recommend GENEPRO. It's pretty expensive but, it is worth it 100%. On Amazon it is $47 for 47 servings. BUT the key is that the scoop amount is so much smaller, approx. 2 tablespoons for 30grams of Protein. I found that when I was only a few weeks post op, I couldn't consume that much liquid. So when I went to mix in unflavored Protein Powder, the amount of powder wouldn't mix in right. It would be chunky or "grainy". With GENEPRO, I could still get in my Protein requirements with less powder and less liquid. Plus it mixes well with hot and cold liquids.

Thanks for this post. I’ve been looking for an unflavored protein mix.. what do you normally use to mix it with?

I get my protein from cottage cheese and blueberries stirred in, and spinach in salads or chicken sandwich .. just learning to adjust my habits now so it’s easier later down the road.

Mila

1 hour ago, 1Mila said:

Thanks for this post. I’ve been looking for an unflavored Protein mix.. what do you normally use to mix it with?

I get my protein from cottage cheese and blueberries stirred in, and spinach in salads or chicken sandwich .. just learning to adjust my habits now so it’s easier later down the road.

Mila

It depends on what stage you are at in your journey. If you are pre-op now, I wouldn't worry about using Protein Shakes. Trust me, you will get sick of them soon after surgery, so you don't want to exacerbate the problem by drinking protein shakes before you need to. Best protein sources pre surgery and post surgery are fish and lean meats. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese help as well (just keep the carbs below 20g per yogurt). You can get plant based Proteins, as well, but I found it is a lot harder until you get further along.

In my first few weeks, I mixed the protein powder with broth, diluted 100% juice, FairLife milk, and I actually made these 2 once Jello cups and mixed in the GENEPRO. Each Jello cup gave me 12.5 grams of protein. As I went into pureed foods, I did a lot of Soups. Mostly of my own making, because so many of the store bought soups have too much sodium in them.

The recipe for the jello cups:

1 box of sugar free Jello with 5 scoops of GenePro protein. Makes 14, 2oz cups. I bought the cups from the dollar tree. They are plastic with lids that restaurants will send home Condiments in.

Ashash this all very helpful and good to know! do you have an Instagram or snap? I am looking for people to keep in touch with along my journey and have helpful tips.

I am just beginning at the moment. I had my consultation two weeks ago and I’ll be going to my first referral for the chalky substance test? (Not looking forward to that) that is next Friday. So far I’ve cut out soda and serious increased my Water intake by about 32 oz a day (that’s more than half of what I drank before) I struggle with water intake it’s hard.

I also, started taking Multivitamins and extra biotin.. do have any suggestions on what’s a good Vitamin or do any of them will do?

Mila