Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello I have a BMI of 33 - I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I'm considering Gastric Sleeve it would be self pay. I've tried weight loss medications as well as weight watchers and Jenny Craig with no success for the past 4 years. For those of you at this BMI or lower are you happy with you decision - and would you do it again knowing what you know and what you have gone through? I know it is a permanent, life altering procedure so I'm currently doing all of the research now. Thanks!

Hi
Nope- don’t regret it- would do it again. Best decision ever.

I had a BMI of 36 with apnea and reflux . Apnea and reflux gone :)

HW 242, SW 236- Bypass 12/20/17
GW#1- 199 [emoji736]. GW#2- 175
CW 192.4
5’6”

The main reason why I had gastric bypass surgery was because of my health conditions. My body was going downhill fast. I had high blood pressure, diabetes, severe acid reflux (GERD), sleep apnea, and many other conditions. I was taking 4 kinds of prescription medicine. Within a month after surgery I was off all of these. I am now 5 years post-op and these conditions have not returned. Also something that I though was unrelated, asthma, went dormant at around the 3rd year post-op.

When I started researching weight loss surgery as an option 5 years ago, my BMI was about the same as yours. For my insurance to pay it had to be 35. Within the next few years my blood pressure went up, my cholesterol went up, and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and am pre-diabetic. Finally by the time I had surgery, my BMI was 35. I wish I could have had surgery 5 years ago, and avoided all the medicines and testing and things. However, things happen for a reason and I just had surgery last month. My blood pressure medication is already cut in half!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello fellow Houstonian! My starting BMI was 33.7 (215lbs at 5'7") - however when the nurse measured how tall I was at my consultation, apparently I had shrunk an inch (maybe it was mismeasured or maybe my degenerative disc disease is to blame). That made my BMI a 34.7. Anyhow, pretty close to yours. I just had surgery on 2/28, so I will have to report back here in about 6 months. I hate the sight of blood, I think organs are precious, and bodies shouldn't be prodded and poked. I was terrified before they wheeled me into the surgery room. I cried on my gurney in the pre-op room. How did it get to this? This is so incredibly scary and drastic. Was I going to pull out the IV and run out of the hospital? It crossed my mind literally every second. However, I prepared a letter to myself to read before surgery. I listed all of the reasons I needed to follow through with this decision despite my fears (most of which were irrational). I am in pain from osteoarthritis every day. My spine , my hips, my knees, my ankles, etc.. I am carrying at least 70 extra pounds that my joints cannot handle. I have days where I cry because I'm in so much pain and there is literally nothing I can do. What kept me on that gurney? Wondering how I'd feel in 10 years if I didn't go through with this surgery. There are other folks on here who shared their story of leaving the hospital on surgery day and they said they had regretted it (and they have since been sleeved). Those posts also helped me tremendously. (I wish I could remember their names! Seahawks?). Anyhow, this first week post op has not been as smooth as I expected, but I'm getting better each day. I am fully aware that in the first month there may be feelings of regret and even depression. I have prepared myself for that, but who knows how difficult it will be. But I am very hopeful that six months from now I will have more energy, my joint pain will be somewhat alleviated and I will be able to move around more. I would love nothing more than to update you on my progress to let you know that it was the best decision I could have ever made. *Fingers Crossed*

I had the sleeve done on 31st Oct (4mts ago) i weighed 13st 10lbs (bmi 32.7)
Today I weigh 8st 13lbs (bmi 21.5)
It was the best decision I ever made and I would do it again in a heartbeat!! I had fractured 2 of my hips in the last 2 years so I had to do something to get the weight off ASAP.

2 minutes ago, monkeyol said:

I had the sleeve done on 31st Oct (4mts ago) i weighed 13st 10lbs (bmi 32.7)
Today I weigh 8st 13lbs (bmi 21.5)
It was the best decision I ever made and I would do it again in a heartbeat!! I had fractured 2 of my hips in the last 2 years so I had to do something to get the weight off ASAP.

Monkeyol, bless you for this post! This is music to my ears and I hope I have your exact sentiments in 6 months! LOL Congrats! :)

And you both inspire me, lI have arthritis and have since 25. 2 knee replacements and I'm a very,painful 72. I'm still struggling to get my surgery, I am hoping to get accepted into another bariatric program, I have a seminar March,9th and one booked also for March 10th. If #1 does pan out I'll cancel,my reservation at #2. I'm actually hopeful of #1, probably should have gone there instead of where i did. I vow to win my surgery, I won't let my bad experience stop me. I don't have to meet a minimum like you girls I have a BMI of 47 with 2-3 comorbidities.But I want to have both of you as friends

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, frust8 said:

And you both inspire me, lI have arthritis and have since 25. 2 knee replacements and I'm a very,painful 72. I'm still struggling to get my surgery, I am hoping to get accepted into another bariatric program, I have a seminar March,9th and one booked also for March 10th. If #1 does pan out I'll cancel,my reservation at #2. I'm actually hopeful of #1, probably should have gone there instead of where i did. I vow to win my surgery, I won't let my bad experience stop me. I don't have to meet a minimum like you girls I have a BMI of 47 with 2-3 comorbidities.But I want to have both of you as friends

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

You got it, frust8! You have such a great frame of mind and resilience!! You will do this. Post an update about your upcoming seminar and let us know what you find out!

My highest bmi was 35.2, and I had surgery around 32 bmi. No regrets! I had a 44 inch waist, high BP and cholesterol and pre diabetes. Now, 6.5 months later, I am about 5 lbs from goal, and suffer from the above conditions no more! Oh, and my waist is down 10 inches, and I feel great. I was self pay with Dr Taggar in Florida.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

My highest bmi was 35.2, and I had surgery around 32 bmi. No regrets! I had a 44 inch waist, high BP and cholesterol and pre diabetes. Now, 6.5 months later, I am about 5 lbs from goal, and suffer from the above conditions no more! Oh, and my waist is down 10 inches, and I feel great. I was self pay with Dr Taggar in Florida.

That’s so awesome!!! Rock on Gassy!!

My BMI was 34.2, with no health issues, so I had no choice but private pay. I thought about running out of the preop and actually tried to tell them to stop as they were wheeling me into the OR but the meds had already taken effect. So... I was only doing this for health issues that would crop up if I kept on my gaining cycle and for vanity reasons. I was petrified that I was trading "good health" for health issues related to surgery, but as my PCP told me, I was on a path to poor health. Diets did not work or I'd quit them after losing only to regain. I do not have any regrets. I do not like the shakes or Liquid Protein choices but I don't have a choice so I suck it up and do what I have to do. I feel great.

Today I had my 2 week check up and I'm down 9 lbs. I can tell a small difference in my clothes. My dr told me that I will not have big fast loss because of my starting BMI but 2 lbs per week is what I can expect. I would love a faster loss but I figure it will be June, July etc regardless of the weight loss surgery; so I'll just me thankful for this opportunity.

Good Luck to you!.

6 hours ago, GassyGurl said:

I hope I'm as successful as you have been!!!!