Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest pain, ER

Hello everyone

I had the sleeve done 12/2/14. I lost around 80-85lbs.

I’ve been having GERD since I’d say, 6mo. PO.

That being said. Two nights ago before I went to bed I had a strange chest discomfort. Cr there’s right in the middle. I thought nothing of it and went to bed.

I woke up with an even worse chest pain and my neck started to cramp and I felt light headed. I was like “ Holy ****, I might be having a heart attack!”

So I went to the ER. EKG fine, cardiac labs fine, chest X-ray fine, vitals good and bp 124/66.

Every thing fine. I told the Er doc about my health history and past surgeries. He offered Nitro, I was like, “ isn’t that gonna bottom me out?”

He said “yeah probably”

I was terrified. I know I shouldn’t be disputing my care in the ER, lol, but I wanted to rule out GI first.

He sent the nurse In With Mallox and lidocaine.

I drank it, it helped slightly. Then returned. He said to call my surgeon and update him and see if I can get Into see him.

Since then I’ve been feeling nauseous and just plain old blaa.

It’s Saturday and his office is closed. I dropped off a script for protonix and I’m picking it up today.

I was suppose to get this filled two weeks ago.

My priorities are not focused on me lately and I know I should have filled it when I should have.

Has anyone had this issue before? He said it was indigestion. It felt like no indigestion I’ve ever had in my life. No burning, like acid in my throat. Just chest pains and neck pain. Anyone felt this before?

Did they check your gallbladder? Your symptoms could be that. Mine were similar, I had an upper GI (barium swallow) and it turned out to be a hiatal hernia. I’m getting it repaired in 3 weeks.
Good luck and get your protonix filled it helps sooo much!

Did they check your gallbladder? Your symptoms could be that. Mine were similar, I had an upper GI (barium swallow) and it turned out to be a hiatal hernia. I’m getting it repaired in 3 weeks.
Good luck and get your protonix filled it helps sooo much!

Funny, my name is Tracy and I too was a”76” baby.
I actually had my gallbladder removed 10 mo this post-sleeve surgery. I got off my butt and filled it. It’s helped a lot.
I’m still wondering why I have having such pains?
One can’t possible take Protonics forever, right?
Ugh. Hiatal hernia huh? That sounds painful.

Really, Tracy too! That’s too crazy[emoji6]. Yeah, I was at the same point with the Protonics, I told the Bariatric Dr I was fed up and we needed to figure it out. That’s when he did the GI to check my sleeve and found the hiatal hernia. He said it was definitely the cause of my pain, it’s pretty big.

When are you going to back to the Dr?

I don’t see him till December, but I can make an appointment to see him if it gets any worse

I have heart disease, found when I massively failed a cardiac stress test last year. Young women can have heart issues too, I am 44. I would ask for a referral to a cardiologist, just to rule out any cardiac issues. (That often feel like GERD or the flu, nausea, neck pain, etc.) It may take a load off your mind. Be prepared to advocate for yourself, doctors tend to overlook heart disease in women. A cardiologist is the place to go. By the way, Nitro doesn't knock you out, but does stop angina, which is what it sounds to me like what you were feeling in your chest. It drops your BP though, so it's best to be sitting or lying down when you take it.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

I should add, I had normal BP and normal cardiac labs in the ER.