Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The endoscopy was fine and really had no pain or trouble with it.

However, they said I have a hiatal hernia, reflux with possible Barrets, AND gastritis. I never really had any idea there were issues in those parts of my body but ..:

I was leaning towards RNY and I think this sealed the deal for me.

I'm new to this whole thing. Do those diagnosis make you a candidate for one more than another surgery?

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm new to this whole thing. Do those diagnosis make you a candidate for one more than another surgery?

My understanding is that doctors won’t perform or strongly discourage you from gastric sleeve if you have reflux issues or Barret’s esophagus, as the sleeve increases reflux for some (possibly most?) patients. However, gastric bypass is still an option as it does not increase reflux and may even decrease/cure reflux related issues.

On 3/2/2018 at 1:55 PM, insta_adventurer said:

The endoscopy was fine and really had no pain or trouble with it.

However, they said I have a hiatal hernia, reflux with possible Barrets, AND gastritis. I never really had any idea there were issues in those parts of my body but ..:

I was leaning towards RNY and I think this sealed the deal for me.

Definitely a sign. My endoscopy was last week and I have pretty advanced GERD. I’m 23 and was planning on the sleeve. My surgeon chalked the reflux up to my weight and thinks it will improve after surgery. But I’m strongly reconsidering the bypass instead

Do you guys remember any part of your endoscopy? I'm so scared to get it done! Like ill know what's going on!

Do you guys remember any part of your endoscopy? I'm so scared to get it done! Like ill know what's going on!

You are under anesthesia. You won’t remember or feel a thing.

How did you feel after? Sore throat or anything? I have my endoscopy on the 28th and I'm nervous.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was bloated after. My stomach hurt when I woke up and was fine with Advil. They found GERD and I started taking Prilosec the same day. This lead to a lot of Constipation.

You're sedated, not full anesthesia but it’s safe and normal to possibly remember things. I tend to be sensitive to certain things and was exhausted for a couple days after.

53 minutes ago, Nickik said:

How did you feel after? Sore throat or anything? I have my endoscopy on the 28th and I'm nervous.

I have had 2- was super nervous but remember nothing and had zero side effects. Good luck to you 😊

Thank you so much! I'm a scaredy cat, but know that this is what is best for me and my family in the long run!

Let me tell,you about Endoscopy and Queen frust8. I had an endoscopy performed by a general surgeon. When I was going to need one in December 2017, I asked if my gastroenterologist would perform it. Last thing I remembered laying on my left side in the endoscopy suite. My doctor came in wearing shrubs,he is Pakistani and looked very handsome in his blue shrubs. I said Hi Dr Mujaba, the next thing I knew I was waking up in the recovery area. I had went to sleep effortlessly, woke up with no headache and no sore throat, 2 things the general surgeon had left me withj in addition to a slightly achy tummy. None of that with Dr M and it turned out he had done more biopsies , took,more pictures in color( which I got copies of) and did it all in less time. If I ever have another endoscopy,i hope its him that does it. Confirmed the start of damage from GERD,gastritis and the presence of Hector my little baby ulcer. Hector was the result of too many NSAIDS over the years. And no sign of h pylori in there. This confirmed that it is good I'm planning a RnY instead of a sleeve. And I had full anesthesia not just sedation but I felt really fine afterwards.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Just deep breathe... Once you get the anesthesia you’ll be out in seconds and won’t remember anything. I have stomach issues so I’ve been there. I was sooo scared but got through it no problem. You’re gonna do great!

I don’t recall any of the actual procedure. I last I recall being told was to rotate more on my side and bite down on the bite block when I felt the medicine.

It was super gentle sedation and super gentle waking up. Also they let me drink Water immediately after so I was stoked! :)

I wish yours is as much of a breeze as mine was! I’m sure it will be! :)