Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have my surgery date (03/12) and my pre op is Monday (5th) - and I am fighting hard not to fixate on something my surgeon said in our appointment time. She was telling me the importance of going of eating low carb, etc. diet (and then 3 days on liquids) before surgery to shrink the liver. The liver needs to shrink, she said, because basically they have to kind of lift it to get where they need to be. She said if a person didn't follow the guidelines it's easy to tell because of the liver. "We'll have to just close you back up and not do the surgery, " she said. Well, I AM following the guidelines. But, I can't get over the fear.

If I wake up and the surgery hasn't been done, I think I will just die. The reason it's scaring me is that I was told 50-60 lbs. ago by a medical person, doing a scan or something - I can't remember the exact context - I've had a lot of issues in the last half-dozen yrs. or so - that I had "the fattiest liver" he'd ever seen.

:o Has this happened to anyone you know of? I mean they do this on larger people than I am but . . . geez, I'm . . . worried.

21 minutes ago, N2deep2quit said:

I have my surgery date (03/12) and my pre op is Monday (5th) - and I am fighting hard not to fixate on something my surgeon said in our appointment time. She was telling me the importance of going of eating low carb, etc. diet (and then 3 days on liquids) before surgery to shrink the liver. The liver needs to shrink, she said, because basically they have to kind of lift it to get where they need to be. She said if a person didn't follow the guidelines it's easy to tell because of the liver. "We'll have to just close you back up and not do the surgery, " she said. Well, I AM following the guidelines. But, I can't get over the fear.

If I wake up and the surgery hasn't been done, I think I will just die. The reason it's scaring me is that I was told 50-60 lbs. ago by a medical person, doing a scan or something - I can't remember the exact context - I've had a lot of issues in the last half-dozen yrs. or so - that I had "the fattiest liver" he'd ever seen.

:o Has this happened to anyone you know of? I mean they do this on larger people than I am but . . . geez, I'm . . . worried.

If there was an issue with your liver pre surgery your surgeon's office would have said something by now. The liver shrinking diet is normal pre surgery. Follow the instructions.

I'm 90% sure the prediet she has you on will suffice, if not she would have made it longer. Many people have to do a month, 6 weeks or even longer. Don't sweat the small stuff you'll just tie yourself up in knots. I'd tell you my story but you' d have trouble believing,it, I'm living it and even I don't believe it. If you're following perfect,you'll have a perfect surgery. And I'll Celebrate with you.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I think it's interesting your Dr. places such importance on shrinking your liver. Other Dr.'s, like mine, do no preop diet at all.

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

I think it's interesting your Dr. places such importance on shrinking your liver. Other Dr.'s, like mine, do no preop diet at all.

Yes, mine too, no pre-op diet other than the day before.

We do see various pre-op protocols specified, and there seems to be some debate within the bariatric community as to how much good a couple weeks of dieting can do on liver condition, and we do see the threat of not doing surgery if the liver isn't shrunk enough, though I can't recall anyone having that actually happen to them.

For the OP, if you have had liver indications in the past (not unusual for the obese community) and it is in your medical records, I would expect that if your surgeon was really that concerned about it, she would order another ultrasound to check on its condition now, so that she could prescribe a more intense pre-op regimen if needed.

I STRONGLY believe that you will be fine, as long as you are following her guidelines your liver will shrink. By now she has performed lab work on you so she should know where you are health wise. She is just using fear tactics to try and get you to stay on the straight and narrow to make sure that you follow her instructions. Just follow what she told you to do and you will wake up on the other side of surgery and will be happy! You will be fine!

I had the same fear as you. I was afraid my liver would not shrink enough and my doctor would close the case as they say. I had to do a 3 week liver shrink diet as I was very overweight and already had fatty liver disease. I followed my surgeons guidelines and I was fine. My dietician told me the chances of the doctor actually getting inside and then closing the case without doing the surgery were very very slim. He said like 1 out of 1000 procedures. Hope this helps.

Another thing to calm you, surgeons book time in operating rooms and they don't plan to squander it. Once you get there they will complete the surgery, if they don't think they will have enough room they can always do an open incision, they will have plenty of room that way.Granted 99% of the surgeries are laprascopic but every surgeon has both skills. The surgeon that I plan to have had done 500 in the last calender year, only 2 were open. Honestly, push comes to shove, I would accept open over none at all. It does take longer to heal, but you don't have the gas to pass out of your body, more painful? I had 3 9lbs babies and an episode of pancreatitis, can't be worse than that and all 3 were no anesthesia. I had an open incision when I had my gall bladder and appendix out 35 years ago, I healed up from that just ducky and have a 5 inch scar to show for that. I'll go to sleep peacefully, wake up happy that its over, if the surgeon does handstands while I'm asleep,it don't bother me none. I just wanted it completed so. I can get on with life. So relax luv, everything is going to be fine.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

[emoji33] Has this happened to anyone you know of? I mean they do this on larger people than I am but . . . geez, I'm . . . worried.
Just do the liquid diet for a couple extra days for assurance. But it's understandable to be worried. I'm sure your surgeon knows about your fatty liver. If not mention it and see if she wants you to liquid extra days

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

Fatty liver... most of us had it. It's VERY common, but it also shrinks fairly quickly and easily. I had no pre-op diet either, but did do low-carb for 3 days before the surgery and just Water the day before, just to help get it out of the way. It just makes it easier for the surgeon to move around in there but don't worry.... once they're in there they're not gonna back out just because of you liver. He's just trying to scare you into compliance. Breathe, follow your pre-op as closely as you can, and know that it won't be an issue! :)

That was also a concern of mine pre-op, but I was worried for no reason at all. The liquid diet will shrink your liver if you follow the protocol. Think positive thoughts and good luck to you! You’ve got this!!!!

And that is why,you go through the liquid diet, whether it,is 1 week, 2 weeks or 4 weeks, to skrink,your liver. A fatty liver,is not a happy liver, it does not,work as well.as it should,the surgeon has to heave,it out of of his way,to get where he needs to go for the surgery he is planning, maybe he even has to keep it propped up? Also the diet for a designated time shows him you can follow instructions well and also that you can work on in a structured setting. He will be reassured if you didn't cheat now you won't later b and you eill,have a higher chance of success. So do as you are told for as long as you're told and I think things will be okay.😜

On 02/03/2018 at 8:28 AM, sillykitty said:

It's good to read that as I'm so worried. I am in my 1st week low carb/fat diet and I'm starving. I have caved in a couple times now and had extra carbs such as toast and last night instant noodles during night. My dietician said if I get hungry to have extra vegetables and last resort extra Protein. I am eating extra veg and protein and it's not working for my hunger for long. I am now finding myself fighting binge eating. By the way I don't have an eating disorder and definitely don't binge eat normally. Should I ring my dietician and ask if I can eat a normal balanced diet do you think.

1 hour ago, jules1 said:

It's good to read that as I'm so worried. I am in my 1st week low carb/fat diet and I'm starving. I have caved in a couple times now and had extra carbs such as toast and last night instant noodles during night. My dietician said if I get hungry to have extra vegetables and last resort extra Protein. I am eating extra veg and Protein and it's not working for my hunger for long. I am now finding myself fighting binge eating. By the way I don't have an eating disorder and definitely don't binge eat normally. Should I ring my dietician and ask if I can eat a normal balanced diet do you think.

Hang in there jules1! You can do this Aussie May surgery buddy!!! Even with the extra food this week your liver is likely to be pretty good at only 102kg, and can continue to get better as you get the carb cravings under control.

Definitely ring and talk to your nutritionist tomorrow. what is your current diet plan? I started cutting out most non-veggie carbs (added sugar, wholemeal bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes, crumbed fish) a couple of months ago to start getting used to it ahead of my VLCD and although I miss the taste of say smashed avo on toast, I'm not really craving the carbs (but I've been lucky to not feel very hungry) and I can still have say smashed avo with some soft cooked chicken instead.

Are you having many artificially sweetened things? in some people, the sweet taste of aspartame/splenda/others can actually trigger hunger for more sweets/carbs because the body is not getting the sugar energy it's expecting from the taste. Also, are you having any added fibre? as with just meat and veggies you won't be getting as much fibre as you would be used to. Fibre helps fill you up and helps you with number #2s. I add a heaped teaspoon of benefibre to my coffee in the morning, along with 1/2 tsp stevia (equals 1 teaspoon of sugar sweetness), and if I have a cup of Decaf tea at night I do the same. The natural protein and Vitamins in the single backyard chicken scrambled egg I have for Breakfast with my coffee is probably helping keep my system balanced. And the formulite Meal Replacement shake I'm having for lunch is really low carb, 34g protein and only stevia/xylitol sweetened and that is holding me over until close to dinner time when I start actually feeling hungry (and I tell myself its ok to actually feel hungry for a little bit as the next meal time approaches).

Can you post some more details in a separate thread about what you've eaten in the past week, what was part of your plan and what you've been craving and binging on, and lets see if we can find some causes/patterns and solutions!