Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still dieting after gastric bypass

I am having a good bit of success and it's really early, I had GBP on January 10, 2018. SW 222, CW 199 GW 155ish. I am type 2 diabetic and have stopped taking metformin so thats a blessing. However my weigh stalled all of February. Today I'm starting a strict low carb diet to try to make the scale move again. Just a bit disappointed because I had the notion I'd never have to diet again to lose weight after the surgery. I could be jumping the gun as they say but its such a tease to be right at the door of Onederland only to teeter back and forth from 198, 199, 200 all month long. I must take action now!

I am having a good bit of success and it's really early, I had GBP on January 10, 2018. SW 222, CW 199 GW 155ish. I am type 2 diabetic and have stopped taking metformin so thats a blessing. However my weigh stalled all of February. Today I'm starting a strict low carb diet to try to make the scale move again. Just a bit disappointed because I had the notion I'd never have to diet again to lose weight after the surgery. I could be jumping the gun as they say but its such a tease to be right at the door of Onederland only to teeter back and forth from 198, 199, 200 all month long. I must take action now!

Feel your pain.
I am 4 months out and stalls happen often. Remember it's not a race. Everyone loses at differently. This is for the rest of your life. Just make your choices wisely. Rule of thumb, eat Protein first, then vegetables/ salad and if there is still room a healthy carb. Going STRICT low carb is not good either. Believe me I did low carb under 20 carbs for 2 years. Difficult to sustain, because life happens. I ended up gaining back a 100 pounds and more!
I don't eat white potatoes, white bread or pastas, but I do now eat low carb bread, nuts, and low carb fruit and nuts. Just don't do strict low carb , because when you deviate even just a little, your body gains very quickly.
Wishing you well on this weight loss journey [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you so much, and you are correct it is not a race but after having diabetes for over 20 years and trying to stop the damage to my organs, well it kinda is a race. Losing weight is really more about my health than looking slim. I already look slim if truth be told, I'm 5'9 and wear a size 8. Being slim was not why I got the surgery, reversing my diabetes was my reason. I just want to get to a good number so that my sugar levels are as normal as a person without diabetes. I will eat some carbs but I guess when I say strict I really mean cutting out things that I absolutely should not be eating any way. I have low carbed, low cal, fast, you name it and you are correct, too strict only leads to quick loses and quicker gains. So allow me to rephrase that, get on a lower carb regiment to see better weight lose results, lol. Thanks again for your response its greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much, and you are correct it is not a race but after having diabetes for over 20 years and trying to stop the damage to my organs, well it kinda is a race. Losing weight is really more about my health than looking slim. I already look slim if truth be told, I'm 5'9 and wear a size 8. Being slim was not why I got the surgery, reversing my diabetes was my reason. I just want to get to a good number so that my sugar levels are as normal as a person without diabetes. I will eat some carbs but I guess when I say strict I really mean cutting out things that I absolutely should not be eating any way. I have low carbed, low cal, fast, you name it and you are correct, too strict only leads to quick loses and quicker gains. So allow me to rephrase that, get on a lower carb regiment to see better weight lose results, lol. Thanks again for your response its greatly appreciated!

You will get there, no worries. Diabetes is the worst! I was pre diabetic prior to my surgery. So glad I got this surgery. Almost everyone in my family has diabetes. It's an awful disease.

Up your activity, you didn't mention that aspect of the journey. Sometimes you need to add 100 calories of Protein and up the Water intake to get it moving again. Also are you eating the same foods over and over - add more fish or try a new vegetable. Our bodies get used to routine, shake it up. Good luck.

3 hours ago, thiklips said:

2 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

We will all have to diet. Forever. Sucks, but it's the truth.

Congrats on your weight loss! You will break this stall. It's frustrating. Keep working your plan.

Never have to diet again even after surgery? It's a lifetime of learning to eat and live healthy.

Diet is not a 4 letter word. For me I look at Diet as being a specific approach for food success/consumption. If I let my willful fat brain eat ad libitum, I will be Rhonda Rotunda within months of this surgery, cuz that's how unruly that fuc*er is! But, and it's a big butt, if I maintain a LIVEABLE, sustainable DIET that never has an end, I will do great! For me, it looks like a whole foods diet with only adequate Protein, healthy fats, low glycemic veggies, a bit of low glycemic fruit, some nuts and seeds, a little full fat dairy now and then, and sometimes, a bit of lower-lowish glycemic carbs as a treat once in a blue moon. It will never included added sugars or foods containing high natural sugars ever. That will land me right smack dab back at the corner of Breast Cancer Avenue and Diabetes Alley.

We will all have to diet. Forever. Sucks, but it's the truth.
Lol . I'm 7 months out. Weight is pouring of and I'm not dieting. I don't track unless I need to just check I'm eating right amount every now and again.

I eat the foods allowed on the plan and get on with my day. I don't feel I'm dieting what's so ever.

I'm sorry you feel that way. It would suck for me too.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I suppose to me. Making better choices doesn't = diet for me. When I did diet I was miserable and only thinking about food and it was just taking over my life lol. I don't feel that way now.. but my plan doesn't call for tracking.. not even tracking Protein. But when I decided to track anyway as everyone here was tracking it made me miserable. The only thing I do every now and again is to see what 4 oz looks like on my scale with foods I eat all the time..but now I just use a small container. And eat super slow. And if that stops working I'll regroup. But it's good for.me for.now.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

Diet is not a 4 letter word. For me I look at Diet as being a specific approach for food success/consumption. If I let my willful fat brain eat ad libitum, I will be Rhonda Rotunda within months of this surgery, cuz that's how unruly that fuc*er is! But, and it's a big butt, if I maintain a LIVEABLE, sustainable DIET that never has an end, I will do great! For me, it looks like a whole foods diet with only adequate Protein, healthy fats, low glycemic veggies, a bit of low glycemic fruit, some nuts and seeds, a little full fat dairy now and then, and sometimes, a bit of lower-lowish glycemic carbs as a treat once in a blue moon. It will never included added sugars or foods containing high natural sugars ever. That will land me right smack dab back at the corner of Breast Cancer Avenue and Diabetes Alley.

I have to agree with you about sugar. That is such a slippery slope for me. My body reacts badly. Whether it's sugar from a dessert or that fresh [emoji506]. Once it hits my lips I cannot eat just a little, it's all or nothing. And the cravings for more afterwards is awful.

1 hour ago, sunshinetinks said:

Once it hits my lips I cannot eat just a little, it's all or nothing. And the cravings for more afterwards is awful.

Yeah, I get you! See this is me on chippy, salty, crunchy, pasta-y, potato-y, and rice-y stuff. Especially rice! OMG! I'm from Texas. We're part of the rice belt. We used to hunt ducks and geese in the rice fields west of town growin up!

Yeah, I get you! See this is me on chippy, salty, crunchy, pasta-y, potato-y, and rice-y stuff. Especially rice! OMG! I'm from Texas. We're part of the rice belt. We used to hunt ducks and geese in the rice fields west of town growin up!

Don't even start me on the rice! [emoji12]