Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not taking my vitamins

So I know I'm throwing myself under the bus, but I just had to post this.

I am currently 10 weeks out and have only taken my Vitamins (Vitamin D, Iron, B12, Biotin) the first week ONLY. But I have been taking my Multivitamin gummies daily at least 9 times out of 10. I know all of the negatives that come from not taking vitamins but I still can't stomach any of them, they're either way to big or I gag and feel a burning sensation in my tummy almost immediately. And I think the fact that I have energy day to day, have no issue with Hair loss and stuff has made me feel like it's not that bad that I'm not taking them, and yes I do know that it is bad reasoning and that the problems will arise long term.

I will definitely do a Vitamin package test soon to see if I am lacking with any of them which I am sure I am, I just haven't found a time with work and school. I guess my question is have any of you not taken your vitamins religiously? How did it affect you? And this maybe a silly question but does it affect weight loss at all?

TIA

11 minutes ago, Lilly___ said:

So I know I'm throwing myself under the bus, but I just had to post this.

I am currently 10 weeks out and have only taken my Vitamins (Vitamin D, Iron, B12, Biotin) the first week ONLY. But I have been taking my Multivitamin gummies daily at least 9 times out of 10. I know all of the negatives that come from not taking Vitamins but I still can't stomach any of them, they're either way to big or I gag and feel a burning sensation in my tummy almost immediately. And I think the fact that I have energy day to day, have no issue with hair loss and stuff has made me feel like it's not that bad that I'm not taking them, and yes I do know that it is bad reasoning and that the problems will arise long term.

I will definitely do a Vitamin package test soon to see if I am lacking with any of them which I am sure I am, I just haven't found a time with work and school. I guess my question is have any of you not taken your vitamins religiously? How did it affect you? And this maybe a silly question but does it affect weight loss at all?

TIA

Not sure what answers you are looking for here....

you said:

(1) I know all of the negatives that come from not taking vitamins

(2) yes I do know that it is bad reasoning and that the problems will arise long term.

(3) test soon to see if I am lacking with any of them which I am sure I am.

I guess my question is have any of you not taken your vitamins religiously/.How did it affect you? And this maybe a silly question but does it affect weight loss at all?

I Took my vitamins and blood test are all great. I'm healthy and happy as a result. Weight loss was great.

I’m 9 months out and have to admit I do forget my Vitamins a lot. I did lose some hair but wasn’t that much I guess. And I’m down 100 pounds. Another shameful secret is I don’t drink my required number of protien shakes. I try but the further out I get the worst they taste

5 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

Not sure what answers you are looking for here....

you said:

(1) I know all of the negatives that come from not taking Vitamins

(2) yes I do know that it is bad reasoning and that the problems will arise long term.

(3) test soon to see if I am lacking with any of them which I am sure I am.

I guess my question is have any of you not taken your vitamins religiously/.How did it affect you? And this maybe a silly question but does it affect weight loss at all?

I Took my vitamins and blood test are all great. I'm healthy and happy as a result. Weight loss was great.

The answer I was looking for was experiences from people who didn't take them and what negative outcome they faced. Congrats on your weight loss!

Please do get tested for them. Some deficiencies can cause very serious problems (B12 is needed for nervous system funciton for example). Things like Calcium are important because you will leach it out of your teeth and bones if you don’t get enough leaving you at higher risk for breaks and cavities.

If you’re eating a varied diet hopefully you’re fine, but definitely be honest with your team and get a test done. They can correct some deficiencies quickly with injections etc.

I have been taking my Vitamins and get tested monthly or so for deficiencies. I was low on B12, D and Vitimin A in my last test. B12 is also key for turning food into energy so will be important if you feel tired, I was feeling tired until we upped the supplements and now I have much more energy.

As far as I know they don’t effect weight loss, though its likely some play a role in metabolizing fat, so could.

Always trust the medical professionals on health issues... I'm not a Dr. I'm not recommending anything.

Some do fine without bariatric Vitamins. (They supplement with over the counter). others have malabsorption issues that cause deficiency. Health risk Study below.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2012/608534/

27 minutes ago, SouthernGirl76 said:

I’m 9 months out and have to admit I do forget my Vitamins a lot. I did lose some hair but wasn’t that much I guess. And I’m down 100 pounds. Another shameful secret is I don’t drink my required number of protien shakes. I try but the further out I get the worst they taste

Oh wow, it's so funny how different this process is for everyone, I literally cannot wait to drink my Protein Shake daily haha. I think its key to find a brand and flavour you like in order to drink them. Congratulations on your weight loss that is awesome!!!

18 minutes ago, Losebig said:

Please do get tested for them. Some deficiencies can cause very serious problems (B12 is needed for nervous system funciton for example). Things like Calcium are important because you will leach it out of your teeth and bones if you don’t get enough leaving you at higher risk for breaks and cavities.

If you’re eating a varied diet hopefully you’re fine, but definitely be honest with your team and get a test done. They can correct some deficiencies quickly with injections etc.

I have been taking my Vitamins and get tested monthly or so for deficiencies. I was low on B12, D and Vitimin A in my last test. B12 is also key for turning food into energy so will be important if you feel tired, I was feeling tired until we upped the supplements and now I have much more energy.

As far as I know they don’t effect weight loss, though its likely some play a role in metabolizing fat, so could.

Thanks a lot on your input. The results of the deficiencies you have mentioned are quite scary, I didn't know it could be that bad. I will definitely get tested this week and post and update.

38 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

Always trust the medical professionals on health issues... I'm not a Dr. I'm not recommending anything.

Some do fine without bariatric Vitamins. (They supplement with over the counter). others have malabsorption issues that cause deficiency. Health risk Study below.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2012/608534/

Thanks Jenn, I appreciate your input. I know this is a serious matter, and I'll definitely get checked this week. I did my surgery on Mexico so I don't have my doctor here to do routine check ups with but I will find a GP for regular visits it's long overdue.

**UPDATE

I had my labs done yesterday, and all my vitamins/minerals were normal except for Ferritin (Iron), my doctor said it wasn't dangerously low, but I will be going to see her again so she can tell me what to take to get it within the normal range.

I’ll be honest. I am a nearly perfect WLS patient in almost every way EXCEPT for taking Vitamins. I am 17 months post-op and have never taken them regularly. I have labs run every six months and everything is perfect.

I’m certainly not advocating for you to not take your vitamins, but I have been just fine. (But I might just be a weird case...)

I have regular B12 injections. Regular bloods I'm 7 months out. And have done not amazing with Vitamins. I'm working on it. My surgeon told me to drop the Iron to reduce the number of tabs I'm taking as my bloods are normal. So he said just try and take my multi and Calcium daily.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I’m 5 weeks out and at my 2 week appointment my Dr was more surprised I was trying to take Vitamins than me not taking them. I think he knows how hard it is to do all of this at one time after getting sleeved Two things that stuck out when we met were him saying you usually have enough nutrients in your system for almost a year and that we didn’t have gastric bypass we had the sleeve so our body is absorbing what we are eating. With that being said I go back on Monday and that’s when things get real for me because that’s when he starts me on my program for the rest of this journey

1 hour ago, Gotalose said:

I’m 5 weeks out and at my 2 week appointment my Dr was more surprised I was trying to take Vitamins than me not taking them. I think he knows how hard it is to do all of this at one time after getting sleeved Two things that stuck out when we met were him saying you usually have enough nutrients in your system for almost a year and that we didn’t have gastric bypass we had the sleeve so our body is absorbing what we are eating. With that being said I go back on Monday and that’s when things get real for me because that’s when he starts me on my program for the rest of this journey

Mine was similar, they tried to limit the pills for 2 weeks, then after that there are a bunch of Vitamins. Ours is low/no carb for at least 6 months so the vitamins are needed