Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had the Mini Sleeve at McCarty Weight Loss Center in Dallas, TX?

Hey y’all! Still researching up to the time of my first scheduled consultation in March to make sure I choose the best option for me. I have settled on having the sleeve instead of the bypass, but came across Dr. Todd McCarty’s website and I’m intrigued! He technically does the VSG procedure, but it’s done in a different way. They either remove the excess stomach pouch through your esophagus or belly button. There are only 1 or 2 incisions, and it’s an outpatient surgery since they aren’t going through the abdominal wall. Much shorter recovery time, less invasive, and he doesn’t require a liquid diet prior to surgery! What’s not to love? I went ahead and made an appointment to meet with him in addition to my initial consultation with Dr. David Arnold.

Had anyone else had the mini sleeve surgery with Dr. McCarty? I’d love your feedback!

Unless you have magic anatomy, the stomach lies inside the abdominal wall...If you are having a laparoscopy through your abdomen, you're breaching the muscles.

He does some of the work internally by putting an instrument down your throat.

Btw, this is not to be confused with the ESG procedure which leaves your entire stomach in.

Either way, if he's pulling your tummy out from your abdomen, then he's breaching the abdominal wall.

I understand, FluffyChix. Bottom line is that it’s less invasive, outpatient, and much quicker recovery time. That’s what makes it an attractive option for me. Still doing my research though! [emoji4]

I understand, FluffyChix. Bottom line is that it’s less invasive, outpatient, and much quicker recovery time. That’s what makes it an attractive option for me. Still doing my research though! [emoji4]

This intrigues me (professionally, as a nurse) and I’m interested in learning more about it. Keep in mind as a new procedure there may not be a lot of information out there about the complications. Once upon a time the VGS was brand new and it’s becoming more and more popular due to the success rates. Once upon a time the Lap Band was brand new, and now many surgeons refuse to place them. You have to consider whether doing something brand new for the short term advantages of outpatient, less incisions, no liquid diet would outweigh any potential long term complications that are an unknown.

Maybe the surgeons office has a support group where you can meet previous patients of his?

FYI I had my sleeve done on 2/14 and it was outpatient. I spent the night at a hotel near the hospital the night after surgery and they sent a nurse to check on me. I didn’t have any problems, they removed my drain the following morning at my post op appointment and I was home in my own bed by 10am the next day.

KCgirl, just wanted to clarify...it’s not a new procedure, just a different method to do VSG. Dr McCarty has done over 2000 of VSG’s this way, but as far as I know, no one else does it this way. It seems to me that Dr. McCarty is always looking for ways to improve patient experience. I’m gonna have a huge list of questions for my consultation for sure! Don’t wanna be a guinea pig!

KCgirl, just wanted to clarify...it’s not a new procedure, just a different method to do VSG. Dr McCarty has done over 2000 of VSG’s this way, but as far as I know, no one else does it this way. It seems to me that Dr. McCarty is always looking for ways to improve patient experience. I’m gonna have a huge list of questions for my consultation for sure! Don’t wanna be a guinea pig!

Sounds like he has lots of experience then! Good luck!

It is certainly worth looking into, though it doesn't seem that there is much that is special, as there are other single incision type lap techniques that are touted, and extensive pre-op diets, liquid or otherwise, are not a standard thing - I never did anything other than the usual day before thing. VSGs are sometimes done outpatient with the standard techniques - it's more of a concern of verifying that all of the inside part is working correctly than the incisions healing, and the endoscopic aspect is a normal part of a VSG procedure as that is where they insert the bougie that they use for guiding the stomach cut.

It overall sounds like they are applying a proprietary name to some fairly routine techniques as a means of setting themselves apart from the crowd. There is another guy in TX that promotes a "special" sleeve (inverted, maybe?) that is little more than an oversewn staple line that is, or was, a fairly standard procedure.

It mostly sounds like marketing more than anything overly innovative; I would really verify results and complication rates as results matter a lot more than what techniques are used to get them.

Hey Dreamangel1974, Dr. McCarty just did my sleeve on the 15th of this month. I ended up having to stay overnight in the hospital due to anesthesia induced nausea but other than that I've felt pretty good. I work in healthcare and spend 8 or more hours on my feet and I returned to work a week after surgery. I have an incision in my bellybutton and 2 more very small ones around my bra line. Also, I had some pain killers in the hospital but have taken nothing but Tylenol (liquid) since my release the morning after surgery. I would totally recommend Dr. McCarty and the mini sleeve. If you have any questions please let me know!

My husband and I both had the sleeve with Dr McCarty in July 2017. Dr McCarty is the most experienced in the DFW area and hasn’t been involved with any of the Insurance scams that a lot of others have. Recovery was easy and the staff & Dr is very supportive. 7 months post op with no problems.

My husband and I both had the sleeve with Dr McCarty in July 2017. Dr McCarty is the most experienced in the DFW area and hasn’t been involved with any of the Insurance scams that a lot of others have. Recovery was easy and the staff & Dr is very supportive. 7 months post op with no problems.

Thanks for letting me know! Did he do the mini sleeve procedure on y’all? How much weight have you lost?

Yes he did. I’ve lost 58 lbs but with the slow weight loss my skin is tightening up along the way so no loose skin. I was in a 20/22 and now a 14/16.