Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with Process - suggestions please!

I am in a pickle:
I will no longer be considered a candidate for the surgery if I fall below 35 at any time during the process - I currently have a 36.6 BMI.

However, the program & my insurance requires 3 dietician appointments over a course of 3 months. I have two more visits to go.

The dietician is very strict and gave me a very specific diet. If I follow it - I know I will lose too much weight to be able to have the surgery per their guidelines

I have been battling obesity since I was a child and have not had success in keeping weight off. All the women in my family are very overweight and I just don't want to be like this anymore! I am feeling frustrated and caught in a corner.

I already talked to the program and they just reiterated that if my BMI falls too low - I would no longer be a candidate. And I can not afford to pay for this on my own.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?
(sorry for the long post)

I am in the same boat. I will take and use my NUT advice after surgery. My surgeon does not require me to lose weight. You have to take care of you. I have 3 nutritional appts next month. We dont have to spread our appts out over months.

It's not really that much of a pickle at all - it's easily solved. Sometimes you just have to go through the motions. Just nod your head and say "Yes, I'll do that." Then do your own thing. You might have to create some fake food records to show the dietitian that you "followed" her advice and still did not lose weight. Yes, it is kind of lying but the issue is not so black and white because you've probably lost weight before but have struggled in maintenance. The whole point of the surgery is that you don't only lose weight, but you have greater chances for success in the maintenance phase. Just tell them what they want to hear. It really goes back to the utter stupidity of insurance forcing you to do something - again - that has not worked in the past.

Mine was fully aware of my predicament and even knew I was doing "off plan" food funerals. :) But, I was down 12% of my total body weight from the start of my program to the last week of submission. So it wasn't any big deal.

They usually use the first weigh in from the RD/surgeon to calculate your BMI. But some insurances are diff. You def have to play a game though.

Hugs and welcome!

Play the game. Pre-weigh yourself - sneak in the day before and get on the scale, and if you start to lose a little too much, line your pockets with rolls of quarters and put 2lb ankle weights on under your thick jeans, weigh with your shoes on - claim you are too tired to take them off. Get creative, you can do this.

Thank you all for the suggestions and support! :778_heartbeat:
I worry if I don't show weight loss - they will cut me out of the program - saying I am not compliant or ready. So I calculated how much weight I can lose to stay above the 35 BMI and will just have to stick to that!

Ironic that I have to not lose weight in the short -term in order to be healthy in the long term!:rolleyes:

Mine just said I couldn't be over, by even half an ounce, the weight entered on the day of my consult/entering the program.

I also had a BMI on the lower side and I literally lost a pound here and a pound there. I mostly just tried to maintain. I didn't have a requirement to lose. I just couldn't weigh more than I did at my first visit.

HW 241
SW 238
CW 227
GW 130
Sleeve 3/1/18

I have A similar situation I’m also need to have knee replacement surgery and the surgeon will replace my knee and I lose 50 or 60 pounds however my BMI is so close remind her and f**k her verify lose too much before a surgery I have disc issues in my back as well and multiple other health issues like having had multiple blood clots and I want blood thinners has anybody had any experience with additional medical problems besides being overweight

I recently found Premier Protein Clear. It is 20g of Protein. I got the tropical punch at Sam's. I like it a lot. It reminds of G2 Gatorade red. Many reviews complained it was too sweet. I mix it with Water.