Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Your Bougie Size?

I had my initial consult yesterday (2/23/2018) with my surgeon, and I had 28-specific questions. The one question that seemed to really impress him was; I asked him what size "bougie" he prefers to use. His answer was 40mm; his reasoning was that the 40mm resulted in less nausea during recovery. Do you know what your bougie size was or will be used in your surgery? And, if you had a 40 or larger, were you very nauseated? The last part of that question is probably impossible to answer, as there are so many variables, but might be interesting to know.

Incidentally, if the surgeon follows the bougie closely, and does not over sew the staples, your new sleeve will only be .5" internal diameter (give or take). :)

My Dr. also uses a 40 for all her patients. I had nausea for about 10 days after surgery, but none since then. I also had no issues with reflux or vomiting so I was happy with the results of the 40 bougie.

My surgeon also uses the 40 bougie. No nausea after surgery and so far no acid reflux issues. I swear my sleeve is bigger than other patients however.

Size 34 bougie here. My surgeon feels it is the smallest that has has minimal complications.

I have has zero nausea or vomiting, but my neighbor who had the same surgeon has had consistent nausea and vomiting during her 2 month post op. She said it has always been brought on by eating the wrong thing, or too much.

My Bougie was a 50 French. My surgeon apparently keeps them on the larger size and leaves the upper part ( anstrum) of the stomach. Too early to tell. I’m only 2 days out and in the painful gurgly gut stage. No nausea today though. Best wishes in your surgery.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I never bothered to ask, I was worried about revision rate, mortality statistics, etc. But my surgeon was super good and I have had no complications so far.

Nausea is tricky to predict but easily controlled with meds

My doctor told me he uses 40 on all patients.

My Bougie was a 50 French. My surgeon apparently keeps them on the larger size and leaves the upper part ( anstrum) of the stomach. Too early to tell. I’m only 2 days out and in the painful gurgly gut stage. No nausea today though. Best wishes in your surgery.

Where did you have your surgery? My doctor uses a 32.

D.R. Potential Sleever

Okay, someone explain bougie sizes

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

Okay, someone explain bougie sizes

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

It’s a long solid tube they put down your esophagus and into the stomach to staple against as a way to get the size of your sleeve accurate.

No idea but whatever it is it works for me. I will say my NUT said that you get your monies worth from my surgeon. I will agree.

Edited by The Dora Milaje
typo

Mine used 34 or 36 as 11 months out I can only do two ounces. The goal is eight ounces. No nausea in recovery whatsoever. I went very very slow with anything I sipped.

It doesn’t matter about the Bougie size one bit. People have been operated on (especially when this procedure was new) using a 50 and lost tons of weight. A smaller Bougie can cause leeks or issues with eating in the initial stages of recover (according to a few doctors ) and others use a Bougie based off the initial weight of the patient going into surgery.

No matter what size Bougie anyone uses, it’s still determined on eating portion and content.

Best of luck, and congrats on starting your journey!