Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goodbye Lap-Band, Hello Mini Gastric Bypass!

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you are happy with your decision Alex? I am also getting rid of my lap band due to reflux and constant vomiting. Unlike you, I have put on weight as struggle to eat healthy food. I am on the fence between mini and rny. One surgeon I know (not bariatric, just well respected and knows all the bariatric teams) told me, if you're going to do it again, don't go half measures - just go for the rny as it has the most success. I really don't know which way to go...any advice?

On 6/14/2018 at 9:53 AM, lessismore1001 said:

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you are happy with your decision Alex? I am also getting rid of my lap band due to reflux and constant vomiting. Unlike you, I have put on weight as struggle to eat healthy food. I am on the fence between mini and rny. One surgeon I know (not bariatric, just well respected and knows all the bariatric teams) told me, if you're going to do it again, don't go half measures - just go for the rny as it has the most success. I really don't know which way to go...any advice?

Hi, I am in the same boat. Alex, so you have any advice for us patients who can't decide between MGB or RNY? I kinda feel the same, why go half way especially since I regret getting the lap band in the first place.

Alex, it's been a couple of years now, what is your experience with the MGB?

I had some issues a few days after getting MGB. There was internal bleeding in multiple places and they revised me to a full Bypass. I only had a few days with the MGB so I really can't give you any advice in this area! I had a lower bowel blockage last summer and had an emergency surgery to reverse my RNY. It was an open 6+ hour procedure and I was in the hospital for a few weeks. I recovered fully and now have "normal" anatomy.

I definitely wouldn't call MGB half measures. Each procedure has its plusses and minuses. I find it important that whichever procedure you select, make sure that your surgeon is very very experienced performing that procedure.

2 hours ago, Alex Brecher said:

I had some issues a few days after getting MGB. There was internal bleeding in multiple places and they revised me to a full Bypass. I only had a few days with the MGB so I really can't give you any advice in this area! I had a lower bowel blockage last summer and had an emergency surgery to reverse my RNY. It was an open 6+ hour procedure and I was in the hospital for a few weeks. I recovered fully and now have "normal" anatomy.

I definitely wouldn't call MGB half measures. Each procedure has its plusses and minuses. I find it important that whichever procedure you select, make sure that your surgeon is very very experienced performing that procedure.

Thank you for the response Alex. If you don't mind my asking, how are doing with the "normal"anatomy? I'm assuming you mean you have no weight loss mechanisms. Have you been able to hold the weight off. I really don't think I can live without some kind of help.

13 minutes ago, Loriey said:

Thank you for the response Alex. If you don't mind my asking, how are doing with the "normal"anatomy? I'm assuming you mean you have no weight loss mechanisms. Have you been able to hold the weight off. I really don't think I can live without some kind of help.

That's correct, I have zero "weight loss mechanism". So far, I've been able to keep my weight off without regain. It's not easy and it's a constant battle. It was much much easier when I had surgery. I was able to consume many more calories without any weight gain. Now, I gain weight just by smelling food!!!! 😂

Hi Alex,

I'm curious about the bowel blockage. I am in Israel and here they warn you not to eat certain foods. (hmmm can't say I am good with that), but anyway I know nothing is really denied in USA.

Can I ask if it was particular foods that caused the blockage or just bad luck??

Oh and well done for keeping off the weight. I often wish I had my own system still in place...

6 hours ago, lessismore1001 said:

Hi Alex,

I'm curious about the bowel blockage. I am in Israel and here they warn you not to eat certain foods. (hmmm can't say I am good with that), but anyway I know nothing is really denied in USA.

Can I ask if it was particular foods that caused the blockage or just bad luck??

Oh and well done for keeping off the weight. I often wish I had my own system still in place...

i ❤️ Israel. My son was planning to go to school there for the year after this summer. Currently, it looks like everything is on hold. I hope things get better soon!!

The blockage occurred after I ate a slice of amazing pizza. My surgeon doesn’t believe it was the pizza that caused it. It definitely triggered things or was the last straw...My previous surgeries are what’s believed to have been the root cause of the blockage.