Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goodbye Lap-Band, Hello Mini Gastric Bypass!



Recommended Posts

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you are happy with your decision Alex? I am also getting rid of my lap band due to reflux and constant vomiting. Unlike you, I have put on weight as struggle to eat healthy food. I am on the fence between mini and rny. One surgeon I know (not bariatric, just well respected and knows all the bariatric teams) told me, if you're going to do it again, don't go half measures - just go for the rny as it has the most success. I really don't know which way to go...any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2018 at 9:53 AM, lessismore1001 said:

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you are happy with your decision Alex? I am also getting rid of my lap band due to reflux and constant vomiting. Unlike you, I have put on weight as struggle to eat healthy food. I am on the fence between mini and rny. One surgeon I know (not bariatric, just well respected and knows all the bariatric teams) told me, if you're going to do it again, don't go half measures - just go for the rny as it has the most success. I really don't know which way to go...any advice?

Hi, I am in the same boat. Alex, so you have any advice for us patients who can't decide between MGB or RNY? I kinda feel the same, why go half way especially since I regret getting the lap band in the first place.

Alex, it's been a couple of years now, what is your experience with the MGB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some issues a few days after getting MGB. There was internal bleeding in multiple places and they revised me to a full Bypass. I only had a few days with the MGB so I really can't give you any advice in this area! I had a lower bowel blockage last summer and had an emergency surgery to reverse my RNY. It was an open 6+ hour procedure and I was in the hospital for a few weeks. I recovered fully and now have "normal" anatomy.

I definitely wouldn't call MGB half measures. Each procedure has its plusses and minuses. I find it important that whichever procedure you select, make sure that your surgeon is very very experienced performing that procedure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alex Brecher said:

I had some issues a few days after getting MGB. There was internal bleeding in multiple places and they revised me to a full Bypass. I only had a few days with the MGB so I really can't give you any advice in this area! I had a lower bowel blockage last summer and had an emergency surgery to reverse my RNY. It was an open 6+ hour procedure and I was in the hospital for a few weeks. I recovered fully and now have "normal" anatomy.

I definitely wouldn't call MGB half measures. Each procedure has its plusses and minuses. I find it important that whichever procedure you select, make sure that your surgeon is very very experienced performing that procedure.

Thank you for the response Alex. If you don't mind my asking, how are doing with the "normal"anatomy? I'm assuming you mean you have no weight loss mechanisms. Have you been able to hold the weight off. I really don't think I can live without some kind of help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Loriey said:

Thank you for the response Alex. If you don't mind my asking, how are doing with the "normal"anatomy? I'm assuming you mean you have no weight loss mechanisms. Have you been able to hold the weight off. I really don't think I can live without some kind of help.

That's correct, I have zero "weight loss mechanism". So far, I've been able to keep my weight off without regain. It's not easy and it's a constant battle. It was much much easier when I had surgery. I was able to consume many more calories without any weight gain. Now, I gain weight just by smelling food!!!! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alex,

I'm curious about the bowel blockage. I am in Israel and here they warn you not to eat certain foods. (hmmm can't say I am good with that), but anyway I know nothing is really denied in USA.

Can I ask if it was particular foods that caused the blockage or just bad luck??

Oh and well done for keeping off the weight. I often wish I had my own system still in place...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, lessismore1001 said:

Hi Alex,

I'm curious about the bowel blockage. I am in Israel and here they warn you not to eat certain foods. (hmmm can't say I am good with that), but anyway I know nothing is really denied in USA.

Can I ask if it was particular foods that caused the blockage or just bad luck??

Oh and well done for keeping off the weight. I often wish I had my own system still in place...

i ❤️ Israel. My son was planning to go to school there for the year after this summer. Currently, it looks like everything is on hold. I hope things get better soon!!

The blockage occurred after I ate a slice of amazing pizza. My surgeon doesn’t believe it was the pizza that caused it. It definitely triggered things or was the last straw...My previous surgeries are what’s believed to have been the root cause of the blockage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, TrueNorth1 said:

I am having the lap band removed and debating MGB. How did everyone do with the revision?

I did this exact revision, it's been 7 weeks since surgery and I am 100% sure I made the right decision. So far so good with MGB, I've lost 27 lbs and life is sooooo much better with that lapband GONE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh good! Yes, I struggled with the band for a long time. I have major heartburn and have been in Nexium for years now and yet I still get burning. I dont want to be on medication for the rest of my life nor do i want to feel the burning. I dont sleep well because I am up probably twice throughout the night to throw up liquid - acid reflux. Gained weight. Cant wait for it to be out.

I see you are also from Ontario so you know we pay out of pocket for the surgery - I paid for the lap band now I will have to pay for MGB. I just want to make sure this time it is worth it.

Can you share any challenges you have had?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TrueNorth1 said:

Oh good! Yes, I struggled with the band for a long time. I have major heartburn and have been in Nexium for years now and yet I still get burning. I dont want to be on medication for the rest of my life nor do i want to feel the burning. I dont sleep well because I am up probably twice throughout the night to throw up liquid - acid reflux. Gained weight. Cant wait for it to be out.

I see you are also from Ontario so you know we pay out of pocket for the surgery - I paid for the lap band now I will have to pay for MGB. I just want to make sure this time it is worth it.

Can you share any challenges you have had?

I had my lapband in for 7 years and the last 3 years were hell. I tried to hard to hold out and try to make it work but it just did not work for me anymore. Suffered with acid reflux, barely able to eat food of substance. Just hell. I am super happy with my revision. Yes, I paid for both of my surgeries. I wish I had of done the Gastric Bypass the first time but it is what it is. I have no issues with the MGB as for as eating or pain etc. I can eat anything but I follow the rules to a T. I make sure eat what I supposed to. I listen to my stomach, and stop when I am no longer hungry. I don't just count on the surgery to make me lose weight, I have to make good food decisions. The only issue I have is very foul smelling gas and stool. I mean really, really bad!!! I read on this forum, that this is common with MGB. But my Dr have me a prescription that helped a lot. Aside from that, I am super happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you had surgery 6 weeks ago? And you are down 27 pounds? And the pain after surgery wasn't bad? I will be able to work at a desk (at home 80% of the time currently due to co-vid) within a week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TrueNorth1 said:

So you had surgery 6 weeks ago? And you are down 27 pounds? And the pain after surgery wasn't bad? I will be able to work at a desk (at home 80% of the time currently due to co-vid) within a week?

I'm actually 7 weeks out, but ya, the only pain I felt was for about 3 days after. and I wasn't bad. Within 1 week I was up moving around, cleaning house, doing laundry, shopping. Mind you, my energy level was pretty low. but that's standard with any surgery. I am 7 weeks out and just now feeling back to my full energy. I had to remember that my body was working hard to heal with minimal food going in. Oh yes, you'd be able to work from home...no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, TrueNorth1 said:

Wonderful! And zero acid reflux and heartburn now? When you take the Vitamins and prescription for gas it goes down easily?

Absolutely no heartburn or acid reflux. HEAVEN. Anything I eat goes down without a problem. Nothing gets stuck anymore. It took me a while to really trust that the food wouldn't get stuck because I had become so accustomed to getting stuck ALL THE TIME. I also had problems with Vitamins get stuck, but now they just slide right down like Water. My 7 years with the lapband created one good habit that I still maintain and that is to chew my food ALOT. I think this helps with the easy flow of food. All the challenges I had with the lapband are gone. And I'm losing weight again. Can't go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×