Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days after vsg surgery

Thank you all who wished me luck. Surgery was smooth. However the pain in my neck and shoulders sucks! I use a heating pad. And have my husband massage it time to time and pain meds suck they don't work at all. I just need advice on what to do. I think that pain bothers me more than my stomach incisions [emoji26]. Also i noticed i feel or at least think my stomach is rumbling for food ...is that normal. I only do Clear Liquids as followed. But any advice how to sleep? Ive been sleeping sitting up and its not helping

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

Stabb....did you have a hernia repair?

Sometimes when they do a sleeve, they also repair a hiatal hernia (a little extra space where your esophagus passes through your diaphragm) ...it's pretty common.

Reason I brought it up, is that the hernia repair will often cause deferred nerve pain that you feel in your shoulder. How weird is that? But yeah...the neck and shoulder pain you're experiencing might be nerve pain from that region.

I had it, too...and I know it's miserable. Walking helped the rest of me feel better quicker...and alternating hot and cold packs on my shoulders helped. I think I liked hot the best.

Pain went away after a few days....got a little better each day. I know it's miserable. Wishing you the best.

Sometimes when they do a sleeve, they also repair a hiatal hernia (a little extra space where your esophagus passes through your diaphragm) ...it's pretty common.
Reason I brought it up, is that the hernia repair will often cause deferred nerve pain that you feel in your shoulder. How weird is that? But yeah...the neck and shoulder pain you're experiencing might be nerve pain from that region.
I had it, too...and I know it's miserable. Walking helped the rest of me feel better quicker...and alternating hot and cold packs on my shoulders helped. I think I liked hot the best.
Pain went away after a few days....got a little better each day. I know it's miserable. Wishing you the best.

Its just so painful ive been trying that. My right side is the worse. I can't sleep comfortable at all

So sorry you're experiencing this:(

On the plus side....you can use the extra hours you're awake to stay well hydrated. Be careful of sleeping too much and getting behind on your hydration.

I know it's tough. I promise it gets better in time.

So sorry you're experiencing this:(
On the plus side....you can use the extra hours you're awake to stay well hydrated. Be careful of sleeping too much and getting behind on your hydration.
I know it's tough. I promise it gets better in time.

Your right in that way lol. Gatorade and Water has been heaven ha ha. I can barely sleep because of the pain. So im defiantly sipping

Careful drinking Gatorade it has sugar. The shoulder pain is the gas they use to raise your organs out of the way to do your surgery. Mine hurt so bad, I remember it clearly. Walking is the only thing that helped it go away. My husband would massage my back and shoulders too. It would help for a minute then it came right back.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, Jessibird said:

Careful drinking Gatorade it has sugar.

Sounds like she has the same post-op instructions as me: 50% Water mixed with 50% juice or gatorade until you are cleared for full liquids like Protein Shakes.

@stabb009 I hope today is better for you!

Edited by Apple203

You should be able to sleep however you want as long as it's not causing any pain to you, is what my doctor said. I used lots of pillows. It's uncomfortable the first few days but will get better. I was sleeved 2/12/18.

That rumble is most likely gas, as is the pain in your shoulder most likely. I had the same pain, walking was the only remedy and it did not come easy. If you need to sleep in a recliner then do so, I did for 1 or two nights and it helped. Keep you head up it gets better

What everyone else said - walking, sipping, sleeping, hot showers, heat. It gets better.

The rumblings are your intestines waking up from anesthetic - this takes awhile - you could hear mine from across the room!!! Your sleeve will feel empty like this until more solid food is introduced. Main goal is to push fluids all the time because once you get dehydrated it is nearly impossible to get caught up by sipping. Hang in there.

What everyone else said - walking, sipping, sleeping, hot showers, heat. It gets better.
The rumblings are your intestines waking up from anesthetic - this takes awhile - you could hear mine from across the room!!! Your sleeve will feel empty like this until more solid food is introduced. Main goal is to push fluids all the time because once you get dehydrated it is nearly impossible to get caught up by sipping. Hang in there.

Im trying. Its just so painful. It affects my sleep

Careful on the gatorade!!! Maybe replace it with MIO electrolytes. No sugar is probably better. Gatorade has a butt ton of sugar.