Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee-Yes or no?

Coffee- Yes or No?  

14 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Did your nutritionist let you drink coffee 1 month after surgery?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/16/2018 at 12:02 AM

I am interested if your doctor/Nutritionist allowed you to have coffee 1 month after surgery. See poll attached. Seems like there is some confusion as to whether or not it is okay to drink.

They brought me Decaf the day of surgery in the hospital.

My nutritionist says one cup of caffeinated coffee or tea per day is fine, but any more than that should be decaf.

I know they're all different.

I do know that too much coffee can be correlated with ulcers.

I was allowed to have regular coffee 3 months post sleeve. Before that, it was not allowed. I love the flavor of coffee, so I drank Decaf before I hit 3 months out, then I got back to my caffeinated coffee in different flavors. I love my flavored coffee. Wish I could find flavored decaf here where I live. The reason I say that is because I am totally addicted to coffee. I am fully aware that I drink too much of it. Also, I am having acid reflux/esophagal erosion issues....coffee is not good for that.

Like Creekimp said, nutritionists/doctors are all different in what they allow. Your poll is currently 50/50, which is not at all surprising.

Edited by mylighthouse

27 minutes ago, JimO said:

confusion as to whether or not it is okay to drink.

@JimO

i was also given coffee on my first tray in hospital.

no confusion about coffee, just difference of opinions by docs

pre and post op you are down 70 lbs!!!

you are the man!!!:rolleyes:

keep up the good work

kathy

congrats

I was also allowed to have coffee. I was told to stick to Decaf for at least the first week or so, which I did. After that, I started drinking half-caf.

I am interested if your doctor/Nutritionist allowed you to have coffee 1 month after surgery. See poll attached. Seems like there is some confusion as to whether or not it is okay to drink.
There is no confusion. Yes drink it if your plan allows it. no if your plan doesn't. It's that simple. Everyone's plan isn't the same. I was allowed it day after surgery

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

I had Decaf throughout preop and from the day after surgery x

I do understand what you mean though doctors do have different opinions. Kiaser rules are no coffee or caffeine for six months. They feel caffeine is damaging to stomach that early on.

Lapband 9/11/07 227 pounds

Vsg 2/13/18

Pre op diet 188

Sd. 180

Cw 170

My nutritionist only allowed Decaf tea for the first three months. No coffee, decaf or regular until the 3 month mark. I stopped drinking it about 3 weeks before surgery because I have bad withdrawal headaches and didn't want that during recovery. Coffee was the only craving I was having towards the end of the 3 month time frame but it wasn't too bad.

My surgical group believes in no caffeinated coffee for life. They are ok with Decaf, but warn us to be careful because there still is caffeine in decaf. We also are told to have green tea (decaf) or herbal tea (decaf).

We were told that caffeine can cause ulcers and that since it is a diuretic it can be counterproductive.

I was told no caffeine for the first 6 weeks but Decaf was ok to have right away. Not going to lie, I started drinking half caf coffee around week 5. I have had regular coffee a few times but try to stick to the half caf as much as possible.

I had coffee one month after my surgery. It was the one thing I couldn’t give up completely but I have noticed that whenever I travel to a country where coffee consumption is not as big of a thing as it is in the west, I lose 5-7 pounds. I don’t diet and eat anything and everything while I am on vacation (in moderation) but I still come back, having lost rather than gained and I give the credit to lack of caffeine in my diet.
Also, for those of us who develop gallbladder after the surgery, caffeine and heartburn go hand in hand so...