Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Strategies to Survive the Pureed Stage After Bariatric Surgery

“I have to eat..what? For how long?” This is a common response I receive from my clients when we begin discussing what their diet will be like after surgery.

Most bariatric surgery candidates fear the pureed stage. Many feel it it is like eating “baby food, ” and associate it with being unappetizing. While some surgeons have done away with this stage, it continues to be used in a significant amount of bariatric surgery centers.

If you need to be on a pureed diet, take a look at the following strategies to help make this part of your journey easier.

Buy the Right Equipment

Having the right equipment will save you time in the kitchen and make your life easier. These kitchen tools include a high speed blender and ice cube trays. The high speed blender will help you prepare your food faster and give you a smoother consistency. The ice cube trays can be used to freeze your pureed food items in, so you can just “pop” them out and reheat for your meals later.

Prepare Ahead of Time

It may be helpful for you to prepare your food before you have surgery to reduce your anxiety. This will also give you more time to focus on your healing instead of worrying about what your next meal will be. As an extra bonus, this will develop your meal prepping skills which will be an important habit to develop as you embark on this new chapter in your lif.

Use Spices

Don’t be afraid to use spices to increase the flavor of your food. While “spicy” seasonings are usually not recommended initially after surgery, other more “cooling” spices ones such as basil, dill or oregano may be well tolerated. Plus, there are extra antioxidants stored in those spices. Add these seasoning during the cooking process to fully develop the flavors.

Garnish Your Food

Garnish? Really? This may seem like a silly step but it is helpful to make your food look attractive. If it appears unappetizing, then you likely will not enjoy the food. Try placing parsley on the side or garnish with basil flakes to add some color. It may also be helpful to serve your food in pretty dish-ware to feel more festive.

Make Your Own Food

Skip the baby food! Baby food usually doesn’t taste very good and may have added sugars or other ingredients that are not bariatric friendly. Food that you prepare from scratch usually tastes better and is healthier for you. Try modifying one of the dishes you already love. Instead of a traditional lasagna, prepare a lasagna that uses zucchini noodles and ground turkey. Blend it up in the blender and have a delicious meal on hand.

If all else fails, remember this is only temporary and you will soon be eating regular food again soon.

Have you already completed the pureed stage? What tips do you have? Please let me know in the comments below.