Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea question, please help [emoji30]

So I’m about 4.5 weeks post op and finished taking my 30 day course of omeprazole. My surgeon said to see how I go without it and didn’t give me another prescription.

My recovery overall has been a dream. No major issues, no nausea, and was able to tolerate everything I ate. Until now.

Since stopping the omeprazole, my nausea has now been constant, day and night. I can no longer tolerate Proteins without regurgitating every few seconds. Even fluids trigger serious nausea. I feel like I’m constantly gagging, and I find myself avoiding eating now. I haven’t got any heart burn or anything, it’s just horrible nausea.

Has anyone experienced this after stopping their PPI?

Side note: I’ve been on a really high dose 4 times a day of an antibiotic (keflex) to help clear a minor infection in one of my incisions, so not sure if this is affecting it too.

So get a refill of the reflux med and see if that solves it.

So get a refill of the reflux med and see if that solves it.

Just wanting to know if others have experienced this “phenomenon”. Not keen on going back on PPIs if they’re what’s causing the rebound nausea in the first place. Thanks anyway.

Antibiotics are really bad to wipe out your gut microbiota, so there could be some merit to their playing a role. Try eating yogurt, Probiotics, etc.

You really should contact your doctor and discuss this ASAP.

Antibiotics are really bad to wipe out your gut microbiota, so there could be some merit to their playing a role. Try eating yogurt, Probiotics, etc.
You really should contact your doctor and discuss this ASAP.

Thanks creek! I really think the antibiotics are definitely playing a role, and coincided with stopping the PPI. I’ve bought some live probiotic drinks and yoghurt, now if I can stomach them is another issue [emoji23]. Thankfully I have a phone consult with them later today so I’ll ask about it. Just want to feel “normal” again 🤢

Several thoughts here.

After my surgery, my doctor prescribed omeprazole for the first year after surgery so that my stomach would heal properly. In the States there is an over-the-counter version called Prilosec, so you don't even need a prescription for this medicine.

Antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria but also destroy the good gut bacteria. It is important to reestablish these colonies of gut bacteria after you get off the antibiotics. This is done by taking Probiotics.

Some patients develop a problem called a stricture. This is a common problem that can be identified and corrected using an upper GI endoscopy or EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) followed by a balloon dilation. http://alohasurgery.com/strictures/

According to my hospital discharge directions, one of the times to contact your surgeons office is if you have "an inability to eat or drink". That is you.

Several thoughts here.
After my surgery, my doctor prescribed omeprazole for the first year after surgery so that my stomach would heal properly. In the States there is an over-the-counter version called Prilosec, so you don't even need a prescription for this medicine.
Antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria but also destroy the good gut bacteria. It is important to reestablish these colonies of gut bacteria after you get off the antibiotics. This is done by taking Probiotics.
Some patients develop a problem called a stricture. This is a common problem that can be identified and corrected using an upper GI endoscopy or EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) followed by a balloon dilation. http://alohasurgery.com/strictures/
According to my hospital discharge directions, one of the times to contact your surgeons office is if you have "an inability to eat or drink". That is you.

Thanks so much for your response! Yikes, I didn’t consider a stricture, only because I can get food/liquid down, it’s just with great nausea and I haven’t yet vomited. I think I’ll call my surgeon today before my scheduled phone consult...

Hopefully it’s something simple... Most antibiotics cause major nausea if taken without food, so depending on what’s going on maybe that is playing a role. I have heard when you stop a PPI you can have a bit of a surge in acid, so that could do it too. Let us know what the DR says and I hope you feel better. If they want you to stick it out a bit ask for dissolvable Zofran.

Hopefully it’s something simple... Most antibiotics cause major nausea if taken without food, so depending on what’s going on maybe that is playing a role. I have heard when you stop a PPI you can have a bit of a surge in acid, so that could do it too. Let us know what the DR says and I hope you feel better. If they want you to stick it out a bit ask for dissolvable Zofran.

I spoke to the surgeon’s office yesterday, but they weren’t too worried about it being anything serious because they also believe the antibiotics combined with stopping the PPI may have just stuffed up my gut bacteria a bit. They’ve got me on Probiotics now and will review again in a few days. The nausea is improving but it’s still there at times, just not as badly as a few days ago thankfully. I’m able to eat and drink a little better but I haven’t gone back to eating full Protein meats yet... I think I’m just not mentally ready to deal with the potential nausea that may come! Otherwise all other foods/fluids have been okay. Thank you for your response!

Oh and also I was taking 4 tablets a day for 7 days... all on an empty stomach [emoji26] whoops