Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would Like to share my story. It's not good and its not the norm

I just wanted all of you to know what can happen with bad info about aftercare with this surgery. I am lucky to be alive and I am still having problems which I will get into. One thing tho my labs are all pretty good now. At the time of this happening the doc that took care of me and nursed me back to health said it was the worst case of malnutrition he had ever seen. He still uses my case as an example of what can happen with this surgery if you don't follow what the docs tell you. Dr.Heap didn't inform us of these things and we both have suffered because of it. I am still having problems with things that are undoubtedly connected with letting myself get so far gone. I'm hoping I can make it another year or two but only one knows that for sure..

Edited by 2legsshort

I just wanted all of you to know what can happen with bad info about aftercare with this surgery. I am lucky to be alive and I am still having problems which I will get into. One thing tho my labs are all pretty good now. At the time of this happening the doc that took care of me and nursed me back to health said it was the worst case of malnutrition he had ever seen. He still uses my case as an example of what can happen with this surgery if you don't follow what the docs tell you. Dr.Heap didn't inform us of these things and we both have suffered because of it. I am still having problems with things that are undoubtedly connected with letting myself get so far gone. I'm hoping I can make it another year or two but only one knows that for sure.

I’m in hospital now getting TPN then surgery to go to bypass because I have a diverticulum in my sleeve and we have to reverse the malabsorption because I can’t stop loosing

Good luck. Wish I could have that done but it's too late for anything, but it can't really be done. I am not in good enough condition for any doc to want to perform surgery on me. I scared them when I even went in for an endoscopy and they put me out with propafol. I was only out for 15 min but my BP which was only at 130/38 when they started went down so low they weren't really amused by that. Scared the heck out of them but that is due to my heart. Will be thinking of you. I'm sure everything will work out fine.

It really sucks when you can't stop losing and can't gain, thats where I am at now.

Good luck. Wish I could have that done but it's too late for anything, but it can't really be done. I am not in good enough condition for any doc to want to perform surgery on me. I scared them when I even went in for an endoscopy and they put me out with propafol. I was only out for 15 min but my BP which was only at 130/38 when they started went down so low they weren't really amused by that. Scared the heck out of them but that is due to my heart. Will be thinking of you. I'm sure everything will work out fine.
It really sucks when you can't stop losing and can't gain, thats where I am at now.

Thanks! It does suck but it is what it is 🤪

You are one brave amazing man. Praise God you are alive. That hospital should be ashamed of your treatment and thank God for that doctor that kept you alive.

One thing I will say about bariatric surgeons today is it still the same thing, a money game for them. They won't even talk to me because I am on Medicare. I even wrote to one in this state that does this surgery supposedly one of the better ones. His assistant got back to me and said pretty much, you don't have cash, you don't have good insurance (Medicare) see ya. When I did have good insurance they were falling over each other trying to get my business and cut me up.

I’m in hospital now getting TPN then surgery to go to bypass because I have a diverticulum in my sleeve and we have to reverse the malabsorption because I can’t stop loosing

melissa how do they reverse malabsorption?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

melissa how do they reverse malabsorption?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Easiest way to RNY bypass but your small intestine can be put back or lengthen for less malabsorption in my case I also have a sleeve issue with a diverticulum causing me not being able to eat much and I started having gerd which medicine has helped

In my case this being a BPD-DS I had my last endoscopy and he was really surprised at how bad my esophagus was. He said I had acid reflux all the way to my neck. I am now on 80mg of Omeprazol and 1g of Sucralfate at bedtime. He said I had ulcers in my esophagus. Trying to get them healed.

For me a revision involves changing where the digestive juices come into my small intestine I have a 75cm common channel I think it is called it can be changed to have more like a 150cm common channel. so there would be more intestine to absorb nutrition.

Edited by 2legsshort

In my case this being a BPD-DS I had my last endoscopy and he was really surprised at how bad my esophagus was. He said I had acid reflux all the way to my neck. I am now on 80mg of Omeprazol and 1g of Sucralfate at bedtime. He said I had ulcers in my esophagus. Trying to get them healed.
For me a revision involves changing where the digestive juices come into my small intestine I have a 75cm common channel I think it is called it can be changed to have more like a 150cm common channel. so there would be more intestine to absorb nutrition.

I’m on panotonix for gerd as well but with my endoscopy i had no ulcers etc