Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

for you successful people, 1 year out or more - what mistakes did you make?

I was watching a video today that said talk to people about the mistakes they made along their recovery journey - 'you learn more from the mistakes than the success'....so I thought I'd ask,

"What mistakes did you make, in your journey to health?"

Thanks!

I made the mistake of assuming my weight loss would be speedy. Instead, virtually all of my losses were single digit (1 to 7 pounds monthly) and it took me 18 months to lose 100 pounds.

I made the mistake of comparing my weight loss progress to others. The more comparisons I made, the more depressed I became about my snails pace progress.

I made the mistake of concluding I'd be the one anomaly for which the gastric sleeve wouldn't work.

I made the mistake of downplaying the strong genetic component that drives weight loss after bariatric surgery during the first year.

I made the mistake of not having enough faith in the process.

Now it's all Water under the bridge. :)

I made the mistake of assuming my weight loss would be speedy. Instead, virtually all of my losses were single digit (1 to 7 pounds monthly) and it took me 18 months to lose 100 pounds.
I made the mistake of comparing my weight loss progress to others. The more comparisons I made, the more depressed I became about my snails pace progress.
I made the mistake of concluding I'd be the one anomaly for which the gastric sleeve wouldn't work.
I made the mistake of downplaying the strong genetic component that drives weight loss after bariatric surgery during the first year.
I made the mistake of not having enough faith in the process.
Now it's all Water under the bridge. [emoji4]

Feels like I just read something I would write a year from now. I feel everything you just mentioned. How did you get past these feelings and got to your goal? I'm grasping at straws here. 6 months post op down 60 lbs..

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

My third month I had a large stall. I had to admit I was slacking on my exercise. I bought a gym membership and turned things around.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

12 hours ago, soready17 said:

I'm grasping at straws here. 6 months post op down 60 lbs..

Well, your progress is slightly faster than mine had been...I had lost 54 pounds at the 6-month mark.

Just keep plugging at it and continue to marvel at an amazing weight loss tool that you will have for life.

It will not matter in the long run if you attain goal in 10 months or 30 months. What really marks you as a genuine success story is your ability to keep the weight off, not how rapidly you lost it.

Good luck to you. :)

Well, your progress is slightly faster than mine had been...I had lost 54 pounds at the 6-month mark.
Just keep plugging at it and continue to marvel at an amazing weight loss tool that you will have for life.
It will not matter in the long run if you attain goal in 10 months or 30 months. What really marks you as a genuine success story is your ability to keep the weight off, not how rapidly you lost it.
Good luck to you. [emoji4]

Well if I am being technical I lost 56 lbs from surgery starting weight: 286 lbs...I had a 1 week preop diet which made me lose from 294 to 286....sooo not far off from you but I appreciate the advice. I sure will keep at it...and you are right it isn't how long it takes to get there it's learning to keep it off. Just to gain perspective what was your starting weight?

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, soready17 said:

Well if I am being technical I lost 56 lbs from surgery starting weight: 286 lbs...I had a 1 week preop diet which made me lose from 294 to 286....sooo not far off from you but I appreciate the advice. I sure will keep at it...and you are right it isn't how long it takes to get there it's learning to keep it off. Just to gain perspective what was your starting weight?

My starting weight was 225 pounds. I'm 5'1", so that placed me at a 42 BMI.

After one week on the pre-op diet I weighed in at 218 on surgery day. I got to 118 pounds approximately 18 months post-op.

Eating and drinking at the same time- to this day that still feels like death.

Tasting certain unhealthy foods (carbs and sugars) because you honestly dont want it anymore but once you take that bite it's all down hill from there. Then your mind starts to want more.

Biggest mistake of all though is comparing my journey to anyone else. I'm realizing this a year later, i may not have lost weight as fast as others but i still lost a ton. Comparing your journey to someone else only adds unnecessary stress.