Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week post op and already hungry?

I was sleeved on 02/12/2018. Within the last day or so, I have already begun to get really hungry and the craving for food (other than the liquid shakes that I am on) are so strong. I have tried drinking more Water, and having broths with seasonings to try and help curb the cravings but nothing is helping. I am scared that if this is how I am already feeling at one week post op, how am I going to be successful with the changes that need to be made...I am counting down the days to start on soft textures...any suggestions, or is anyone else feeling this way? I wasn't expecting to feel hungry at all...especially so soon.

The myth that surgery eliminates hunger is still rampant.

Back in the day, when options for anti-nausea meds were more limited....everyone was nauseated and no one was hungry. It was true...but not because the surgery created a lack of hunger. It was true because before anti-nausea meds and well balanced Protein Drinks, and a better understanding of how to beat dehydration.... people had a much rougher time.

This hasn't been true for a long, long time and people still propagate this myth. These days lots of people make it through surgery without even a hint of nausea. (I did)

Of course you're hungry....you're literally starving your body, under a time of physical stress...and it's noticing.

One week post-op, I could have eaten my own foot...I was freaking starving.

The good news is that you'll feel better soon. Once you start to add more substantial food back into your diet and get your calories up...you'll find that you're satisfied and feel pretty normal eating a lot less.

But yeah...sorry about the hunger thing...you were lied to.

Not to say overall hunger doesn't improve somewhat, I believe it does. But it sure doesn't eliminate hunger when you're eating starvation level calories.

Edited by Creekimp13

9 hours ago, bamby021 said:

I was sleeved on 02/12/2018. Within the last day or so, I have already begun to get really hungry and the craving for food (other than the liquid shakes that I am on) are so strong. I have tried drinking more Water, and having broths with seasonings to try and help curb the cravings but nothing is helping. I am scared that if this is how I am already feeling at one week post op, how am I going to be successful with the changes that need to be made...I am counting down the days to start on soft textures...any suggestions, or is anyone else feeling this way? I wasn't expecting to feel hungry at all...especially so soon.

Are you getting in enough Protein?

Same surgery date as you, 2/12, and I know what you're feeling!

I was starving late last week and over the weekend. I honestly gave in and had some food from the pureed stage (baked Beans, and refried beans), I hoped it would be more satisfying. It was satisfying, but didn't make me feel "full". But it did stop the cravings. I had to learn to listen to my body and after a few bites, the hunger and cravings were gone.

I think it is also the adjustment process of going from eating lots to eating little. After a while you get used to eating little, and a lot of the hunger fades away. I've not felt hungry at all the last few days, and have had to make myself get the Protein in. But I don't feel bad or nauseous, just not hungry. I'm going to appreciate this phase while it lasts!

Also, take the antacid/pepcid/zantac you were prescribed, so it's not just a growly stomach making you hungry.

Same surgery date as you, 2/12, and I know what you're feeling!
I was starving late last week and over the weekend. I honestly gave in and had some food from the pureed stage (baked Beans, and refried beans), I hoped it would be more satisfying. It was satisfying, but didn't make me feel "full". But it did stop the cravings. I had to learn to listen to my body and after a few bites, the hunger and cravings were gone.
I think it is also the adjustment process of going from eating lots to eating little. After a while you get used to eating little, and a lot of the hunger fades away. I've not felt hungry at all the last few days, and have had to make myself get the Protein in. But I don't feel bad or nauseous, just not hungry. I'm going to appreciate this phase while it lasts!

Also, take the antacid/pepcid/zantac you were prescribed, so it's not just a growly stomach making you hungry.

Thank you! How did you handle the foods? I'm supposed to be able to have the Beans and oatmeal on Thursday and I'm having a hard time holding out. Did you feel full after having it? I guess my fear is that I won't. I want to go back to having all the good stuff and I'm afraid it's going to be my downfall. It's so hard being around everyone else eating normal stuff... And I'm sitting here like...a piece of cheese would be so damn good right now lol.

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

My feeling of hunger didn't deminish till month three. However when I feel hungry every now and again it's easily satisfiable hunger . Like a few bites of Protein and I'm full 7 months out. Your still healing I remember severe growling pains around that stage. It gets easier. Don't doubt you will succeed. Your feelings are all normal :)

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

The myth that surgery eliminates hunger is still rampant.

Back in the day, when options for anti-nausea meds were more limited....everyone was nauseated and no one was hungry. It was true...but not because the surgery created a lack of hunger. It was true because before anti-nausea meds and well balanced Protein Drinks, and a better understanding of how to beat dehydration.... people had a much rougher time.

This hasn't been true for a long, long time and people still propagate this myth. These days lots of people make it through surgery without even a hint of nausea. (I did)

Of course you're hungry....you're literally starving your body, under a time of physical stress...and it's noticing.

One week post-op, I could have eaten my own foot...I was freaking starving.

The good news is that you'll feel better soon. Once you start to add more substantial food back into your diet and get your calories up...you'll find that you're satisfied and feel pretty normal eating a lot less.

But yeah...sorry about the hunger thing...you were lied to.

Not to say overall hunger doesn't improve somewhat, I believe it does. But it sure doesn't eliminate hunger when you're eating starvation level calories.

It's not a lie.

Many people do not feel hunger.

Many people do feel hunger.

Both normal.

I don't think everyones surgeon is lying to them when he tells them their hunger will be reduced . The part of the stomach that produces ghrenlin .. some of it is removed.

Many people don't feel hunger and need to force them self to eat and they do not have sickness.

Some people start of really hungry and as they go further out .. they suddenly have no hunger.

Some it's like full on growling. And then a few bites and they are full.

Everyone is different but one isn't a lie because it doesn't fit into your situation. Everyone gets different results. The people I know who used my surgeon have been similar to me in having severe hunger at first. And then no hunger about 3 months in. I'm very great ful. They don't have sickness and are just progressing normally. I have one day spurts of hunger that replicates a toddler eating to accommodate a growth spurt but few and far between and I'm 7 months post .

I did have sickness early on but I was still hungry being sick doesn't stop you from being hungry it makes you not want to eat sure. lol so I'm not sure on your information . But I'd love to see a link to the source.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk

Hunger decreasing isn’t a myth. The surgery reduces the level of ghrelin, which is the hunger hormone made by the stomach reducing hunger. This is one of the major reasons surgery helps along with the volume constraints and the feeling of being ‘full’ with very little food.

With that said early hunger seems to be pretty common (I had it too), but for many people it fades and a few weeks out you have little to no hunger. When it does return it’s not the same as it was pre surgery for most people. In my case I had a lot of hunger early, then no hunger at all and now it’s there - but not that intense and I can easily distract myself. I’m not sure what it’ll be like when I’m further out, but many people report it returns to a more normal level after several months, but may be less intense.

Once you are on purees and solid food you will also get a ‘full’ feeling quickly and that will help satisfy hunger. Hang in there, you’ll be in good shape.

5 hours ago, bamby021 said:

Thank you! How did you handle the foods? I'm supposed to be able to have the Beans and oatmeal on Thursday and I'm having a hard time holding out. Did you feel full after having it? I guess my fear is that I won't. I want to go back to having all the good stuff and I'm afraid it's going to be my downfall. It's so hard being around everyone else eating normal stuff... And I'm sitting here like...a piece of cheese would be so damn good right now lol.

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

The Beans went down without any problem at all, didn't even have that weird feeling I sometimes get with liquids. I didn't feel full, but I stopped feeling hungry. It's like the itch was scratched.

I'm also afraid of giving into the bad stuff, because it sounds so good. But I'm just taking it one bite at a time, and trying to make good choices. I have all the bad stuff out my house, so all my easy choices are healthy ones. And there is nothing wrong with cheese, I actually just picked up some light baby bell, mozzarella pearls & goat cheese today (really looking forward to the puree stage, lol!). As long as the quantities are moderate we can have cheese!

2 hours ago, Losebig said:

Hunger decreasing isn’t a myth. The surgery reduces the level of ghrelin, which is the hunger hormone made by the stomach reducing hunger. This is one of the major reasons surgery helps along with the volume constraints and the feeling of being ‘full’ with very little food.

With that said early hunger seems to be pretty common (I had it too), but for many people it fades and a few weeks out you have little to no hunger. When it does return it’s not the same as it was pre surgery for most people. In my case I had a lot of hunger early, then no hunger at all and now it’s there - but not that intense and I can easily distract myself. I’m not sure what it’ll be like when I’m further out, but many people report it returns to a more normal level after several months, but may be less intense.

Once you are on purees and solid food you will also get a ‘full’ feeling quickly and that will help satisfy hunger. Hang in there, you’ll be in good shape.

Hey sugar. I keep meaning to ask you. I may have and you probably told me. Did you have a preop diet and if so how long was it?? What were you when you began your preopdiet, pound wise?

I was 344 on Nov 27, the beginning of my preop diet and 2 weeks later, on surgery date I was 321.

Just curious.

I keep coming back to you, because we are surgery twins lol

Jo

14 minutes ago, Toomanytacos said:

Hey sugar. I keep meaning to ask you. I may have and you probably told me. Did you have a preop diet and if so how long was it?? What were you when you began your preopdiet, pound wise?

I was 344 on Nov 27, the beginning of my preop diet and 2 weeks later, on surgery date I was 321.

Just curious.

I keep coming back to you, because we are surgery twins lol

Jo

Pre-op diet was 2 weeks and basically a minimal no carb menu plan of about 600 calories a day. I really struggled on week 2. I was 304 when I started it and 296 on the day of surgery.

I am so proud of you. You're my sorta mentor, ya know?

So your 59 is not just since day of surgery, but including weight loss in preop. Whew!

Wanna know what sucks. The closer we get to our ideal weight, the harder it will be. You're much closer. I am so excited for you. And me. Thanks for answering back

Hugs,

Jo

I am a day behind you and yes I have felt really hungry a lot but it seems to go away after drinking broth. I also see many people saying we will have the hunger tone itself down soon I am waiting to see.

Pre op diet 188
Sd. 2/13/18 180
Cw 171.6

At 8 years out, I still rarely feel real, true physical hunger, although I can tell when I need something. It's the head hunger and sugar addiction that's been my demon.

My brother, on the other hand..... swore he was starving beginning a couple of weeks after surgery, started eating things too early, things he shouldn't have been, and basically ignoring the rules. It never did him any physical harm, but he's always maintained more of a "maintenance" kind of diet, rather than following the weight loss rules, and that's why now, two years out, I don't think he's lost half of the weight he should have.

Tell yourself you're getting phantom hunger pangs from the nerves healing up, or just feeling that sensation because the stomach acid is sitting so much higher (both of which could be true).... but don't give in. When you start even mushy foods and can't finish a quarter cup of refried Beans or cottage cheese, and stay stuffed for hours, it'll be a different story! :D