Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions About Catheter

I was reading what to expect pre and post op when suddenly I read the line 'at this time they will remove your catheter'. Shook. Do you need to use one for WLS??? God, I'm not ready :(( I am a very private person and I really hate stuff like this. How / when will they insert that? really dreading this :((

They insert that at some point when they're operating on you, so you'll be out cold and won't feel it being inserted.

You will, however be awake when they remove it. It may be removed the next day or the day after that. Depends on how well you do. I didn't like that thing either. It was weird and uncomfortable. Didn't realize it was there til they had me moving around in the bed... Ugh...

But after you leave the hospital, you don't need to use that thing. Once they remove it in the hospital, it becomes a thing of the past. An awkward memory... Lol

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-134
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 36C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

Thank you...I've investigated further, seems some people had it and some didn't. It definitely gives me some piece of mind that almost everyone says they insert it when you're out cold. Never occurred to me you'd need one and this thing is not always discussed in articles about what to expect on the day of your surgery.

At our hospital only bypass patients had to have a catheter. Maybe you’ll luck out and not need it. I think the shorter operation time was a factor.

I had bypass and didn’t have one. It may be individually based.... ask your surgeon

HW 242
SW 236- December 20, 2017
CW 196
GW#1- 199
GW#2- 175
5’6”

I didn't have one, I think because the surgery doesn't take that long. The nurse says that muscle memory kicks in, but sometimes people do wet themselves!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Bet I'll have one, I'll be a bypass and at 72 not perfectly continent. Mother Na- ture calls but the old legs They only move so fast. One of the few instances in life I'm glad I'm a girl- bad enough for us, but your guys, somebody bumps yours you're gonna confess to the Lindbergh Kidnapping even it you hadn't been born yet!

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I was reading what to expect pre and post op when suddenly I read the line 'at this time they will remove your catheter'. Shook. Do you need to use one for WLS??? God, I'm not ready :(( I am a very private person and I really hate stuff like this. How / when will they insert that? really dreading this :((

Mine was inserted when I was under general anaesthesia so I never saw or felt that part. I was however taken out on my second day in the hospital. The nurse deflated it VERY WELL prior to removal so I didn't hurt at all.
But that JP drain...
That's the one thing I wasn't ready for

3 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Mine was inserted when I was under general anaesthesia so I never saw or felt that part. I was however taken out on my second day in the hospital. The nurse deflated it VERY WELL prior to removal so I didn't hurt at all.
But that JP drain...
That's the one thing I wasn't ready for

What the hell is a JP drain????? OMG OMG OMG. Can't they just put me under and wake me up when I'm skinny??? :((

13 minutes ago, kakatlady612 said:

One of the few instances in life I'm glad I'm a girl- bad enough for us, but your guys, somebody bumps yours you're gonna confess to the Lindbergh Kidnapping even it you hadn't been born yet!

Bwhahahaha this is too funny =D

What the hell is a JP drain????? OMG OMG OMG. Can't they just put me under and wake me up when I'm skinny??? :((

A JP drain is something they put in your wound to drain out excess fluids. Sometimes they use it on patients, sometimes they don't.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-134
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 36C

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

A J-P is a Jackson- Pratt closed post surgical drain with a bulb at the end. Works by suction, the fluids collect in the bulb and can be emptied out. Been around since the 70s, named after its perfectors, Drs. Jackson and Pratt. They use it a lot for abdominal and mastectomy surgeries, maybe others also.

Didn't have the catheter. Did have the drain (that removal was a trip!!!). Know several who have had neither. Just ask your surgeon. I promise you, the things that matter to you wide awake and sober won't hold the same weight after surgery. Good luck and don't stress!

i had the sleeve, but i didnt have a catheter. my surgery (and hiatal hernia repair) only took an hour. as soon as i was awake, they had me walking. so when i had to pee, that was another opportunity to walk.