Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there! I had my 2 month follow up and my NUT told me that she knew someone that went vegan and it made their eczema flair ups to nothing! I'm considering it but...

I'm allergic to nuts (tree and peanuts.) In fact, my current flair up is because I was eating Protein bars not knowing they were full of nuts.

I'm going vegetarian anyway because meat doesn't sit right at the moment. I know Beans are like protein magic but you can only have so much. Also what about Probiotics? Is there a vegan version?

SW: 366

CW: 329

GW1: 200

RNY Dec 18, 2017!

I'm sorry you're dealing with the nut allergy! That's sooo frustrating. Definitely glad to hear that your NUT is open to a plant-based diet!

For whole food concentrated Protein, like you said, Beans are definitely the way to go. You can eat hummus or refried beans as well, they are a bit smoother/less filling so you might be able to eat more that way. Another good option is soy, particular soy milk. Make a smoothie with soy milk or add it to your oatmeal and that's 8-12g of protein just from the milk depending on how much you use. (Most other plant milks are low in protein.)

In terms of non-concentrated protein, you can get it from literally any whole food. Whole grain Pasta has a pretty good amount, about 4 grams in half a serving (1 oz dry). Most plant foods will have 1-3g in a serving and throughout the day that adds up.

For plant-based protein that's more processed, like a supplemental protein (which you will definitely need this early post-op) there are some really tasty Protein Bars I've found called Nugo which are vegan and made from soy protein. I believe many of the flavors do not contain nuts, but you'd have to check to be sure. You can buy them on Amazon or in the Protein Bar aisle at Whole Foods. (And maybe other places!) You can also look for protein powders made from pea protein, brown rice protein, etc. as well. Orgain is one common brand. I just found some ready-made vegan shakes (like premier protein) at Target that I believe are Evolve brand, but I haven't tried them yet. Hopefully they taste all right!

Probiotics... well that's a whole other discussion LOL (basically if you're not eating animal products you likely don't have a big need for Probiotics as the plants help your gut bacteria stay happy on their own) but to answer your direct question, there are some fermented plant options! Sauerkraut if you like it, and kombucha tea are two good places to start. You can also make yogurt and kefir from soy milk, although I haven't done it myself (yet!) so I can't give you specific guidance.

Good luck!!

Little Green gave you a real nice detailed answer! Sorry about the nut thing though, but the diet can be achieved successfully! Blessings to you hon.

Hi there! I had my 2 month follow up and my NUT told me that she knew someone that went vegan and it made their eczema flair ups to nothing! I'm considering it but...
I'm allergic to nuts (tree and peanuts.) In fact, my current flair up is because I was eating Protein Bars not knowing they were full of nuts.
I'm going vegetarian anyway because meat doesn't sit right at the moment. I know Beans are like Protein magic but you can only have so much. Also what about Probiotics? Is there a vegan version?
RNY Dec 18, 2017!

I use Orgain brand Protein Powder. It’s available at costco here in Texas. It is vegan. I also take a prenatal called Vitamin code raw prenatal and it has probiotics I believe. It is vegan as well. I get those from Amazon. I am pre-op though and I don’t know if they have chewable or what. Remember Beans have carbs. There are other Protein options for vegans - a lot of processed foods but some very delish. I recommend gardein brand anything (freezer section) and Ezekiel breads/eng muffins etc. there’s also tofu and seitan. If you are near a Whole Foods grocer they sell an in-house vegan chicken salad called chix salad that is amazing as well. Good luck!

Hemp hearts are seed based and should not cause a reaction (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

On 2/18/2018 at 11:33 PM, Real California April said:

I'm allergic to nuts (tree and peanuts.) In fact, my current flair up is because I was eating Protein Bars not knowing they were full of nuts.

I'm going vegetarian anyway because meat doesn't sit right at the moment. I know Beans are like Protein magic but you can only have so much. Also what about Probiotics? Is there a vegan version?

RNY Dec 18, 2017!

Please let me know if this is not allowed and I'll delete it BUT the best vegan Protein I've found is by Wildtree. It also includes probiotics!!

https://wildtreemeals.com/rep/lizharden/product/194/chocolate-balanced-meal-shake-15-day-supply

On 2/19/2018 at 1:59 AM, Little Green said:

I'm sorry you're dealing with the nut allergy! That's sooo frustrating. Definitely glad to hear that your NUT is open to a plant-based diet!

For whole food concentrated Protein, like you said, Beans are definitely the way to go. You can eat hummus or refried Beans as well, they are a bit smoother/less filling so you might be able to eat more that way. Another good option is soy, particular soy milk. Make a smoothie with soy milk or add it to your oatmeal and that's 8-12g of Protein just from the milk depending on how much you use. (Most other plant milks are low in protein.)

In terms of non-concentrated protein, you can get it from literally any whole food. Whole grain Pasta has a pretty good amount, about 4 grams in half a serving (1 oz dry). Most plant foods will have 1-3g in a serving and throughout the day that adds up.

For plant-based protein that's more processed, like a supplemental protein (which you will definitely need this early post-op) there are some really tasty protein bars I've found called Nugo which are vegan and made from soy protein. I believe many of the flavors do not contain nuts, but you'd have to check to be sure. You can buy them on Amazon or in the Protein Bar aisle at Whole Foods. (And maybe other places!) You can also look for protein powders made from pea protein, brown rice protein, etc. as well. Orgain is one common brand. I just found some ready-made vegan shakes (like premier protein) at Target that I believe are Evolve brand, but I haven't tried them yet. Hopefully they taste all right!

Probiotics... well that's a whole other discussion LOL (basically if you're not eating animal products you likely don't have a big need for probiotics as the plants help your gut bacteria stay happy on their own) but to answer your direct question, there are some fermented plant options! Sauerkraut if you like it, and kombucha tea are two good places to start. You can also make yogurt and kefir from soy milk, although I haven't done it myself (yet!) so I can't give you specific guidance.

Good luck!!

I'm so excited to read your posts!! I am a non-dairy vegetarian and have been worried about protein consumption post-surgery. Now I get most from beans, quinoa, rice, and veggies. I have been searching for Protein powders that fit the nutritional guidance given by my nutritionist and it's tricky. What can you share about isolates?