Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight after bypass! Help!

Started out at 232, lost 6 pounds during the pre-op diet and then had surgery on 1/9. I got down to 210 by the third week and now I haven’t lost a single pound since!!

What is happening? Is my weight loss over??

Oh dear. Here is a sweet tip from us who have gone through this, RELAX. It's a stall. It happens multiple times during your first 18 months of expected weight loss.

Some people get it the first month, others get it later on. The key is to relax with the scale. If you stress about it, it keeps your cortisol levels high which then causes you to regain (mostly water) weight.

This is also your bodies way of letting you know that it is time to start exercising. Not heavy exertion but walking around more and trying to get that heart rate to about 115 steady - fat burning level.

Now is the time to start taking "before" pictures if you have not done already. Then compare to the photos before and after/now. You will be losing inches at this time, so pay attention to the following:

1) Do your clothes fit differently?

2) Are you feeling lighter on your feet or knees?

3) Are you drinking enough Water?

4) Are you meeting your bodies Protein needs?

5) Are you really doing what you are supposed to be doing?

These five questions are what you should keep in mind when going through a stall. It could be that you need to tweak somethings.

This! ^^^

((hugs))

Started out at 232, lost 6 pounds during the pre-op diet and then had surgery on 1/9. I got down to 210 by the third week and now I haven’t lost a single pound since!!

Don’t obsess over it......I had my surgery 1/2/18. I lost 20 pounds during a three week liquid diet and was 209 the day of surgery. I had my first stall at three weeks, just like so many others. I upped my Protein and started walking......2 1/2 miles ever other day, which is awesome for me. The scale started moving again, ever so slowly the past week and a half. I will take it. I didn’t pack on the pounds in a couple of weeks - it took a long time, therefore I don’t expect to lose the pounds quickly. I’m okay with that - it will take as long as it takes.

Stay off the scale it will drive you crazy

On 2/17/2018 at 9:54 PM, cabookie11 said:

Hi! Congratulations, so happy for you! YOUR DOING AMAZING!!!! Sista, lemme tell ya! Your at the ever so common 3 week stall which is lasting a few weeks for you. I stalled at 3 weeks too after I only lost 13 lbs! Yep I only lost 13 lbs (in the 3 weeks after my gastric bypass, which was on 10/17/17). It just took my body time to trust the process as yours is doing to you. It’s ok. Just please relax. Relax. Relax. You’ll lose again! :) Really! My HW-142, SW-127, CW-189.6 lbs. So as you can see, I’ve had a few stalls & still managed to lose 53lbs in 4 months. It’s part of the process to stall & level out. Some people lose quickly & some just a bit slower, but we all lose good amounts of weight. I am pretty tall & was just over the 35 BMI, so I was told that Ide lose slower than someone with a higher BMI. Those are all individual things we have to remember and take into consideration when looking at our overall weight loss picture. And it’s why we should not ever compare our loss to someone else’s weight loss. I know it’s easier said than done, right?! I know. But it’s true. With that being said, what I did, was I typed into google search “gastric bypass at high weight of 142” and a few ther people popped up with the same or similar stats. I then followed them to see how they were losing. That is the closest thing to a real comparison I’ve found for me, and I say all that because again, comparing yourself to someone else with different stats will be unproductive to you. It may hinder your progres and it will only depress you. Others may be losing faster or slower than you AS THEY SHOULD BE if they be a different BMI than you. As a matter of fact, even people with exactly the same BMI as you starting out will lose weight at varying paces, due biological factors in each person that differ slightly: such as their own liver function (LFT’s or Liver Function Tests are drawn prior to surg to tell the health of liver cells. As we lose, it puts much strain on the liver cells, and if strained with too much the weight loss at once, the weight loss process may become stalled or our body may respond in other ways to signal issues are occurring in thats dept.). Other individual biological factors that we need take into consideration are things likes our own metabolism vs someone else’s (if we have slower metabolisms we may not excercise as much as another which may slow our weight loss slightly compared to another person), also our own Water intake regime is a key to our weight loss too (that’s why you will be good to watch your Creatatinine level in your kidneys-this level elevates with insufficient water intake and the kidney can become strained with quick weight loss if not assisted with the water & hydration it needs to allow fat to pass as we lose), also other health ailments we have or the medications we or another person is on may also slow down to quicken weight loss results. There’s so much to consider. Many factors play into the weight loss of our bodies. We need to allow ourselves reasonable and sufficient time to lose. You’ve lost a tremendous amount of weight! From 232 to 210 in about 4 wks is just truly amazing!!!! Seriously, step back and look at those results and ask yourself ‘when was the last time I lost 22 pounds in a month’?. LIKELY NEVER! So relax and try to enjoy the process. Seriously, we will all lose after this surgery, even those with crappy eating habits, crappy exercise habits and crappy water & Protein habits. That’s actually a fact. Seriously-because 1) the very fact that our tummy’s are drastically reduced in size and 2) because we literally just cannot absorb most of what we eat puts demand on our bodies to keep losing. Now, through the process we will all stall at times to level out and to adjust, but that’s a good thing!! We want it to stop to readjust now & then! And then eventually our bodies will find a new “set point”. But that’s not typically until after the 12 or 18 month mark. So try to be happy as you sit back to watch your new “tool” do its job & the pounds will melt away! You should be stepping on a scale only once to twice a week according to research after these surgeries. Did you know that? I DIDN’T. My surgeon told me, then my nutritionist told me too. Then I started seeing it & read it everywhere. Yep. We don’t want to teach our new selves that a scale is the know all, by which to guage whether we are losing timely or not. A scale cannot tell us if it’s “water weight”, or “period time”, or “hi, thank you for stepping on me again today, I hate to inform you but your body will be taking the next 3 weeks to level out & readjust”. Your body is doing great, reward it with protein, water walking. HUGS!! Congrats again on doing so well!🌷Jen💕🌷

Edited by RNY-Fall-2017